Romance Fiction posted October 7, 2013 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The very thought of you

A chapter in the book The Animal Doctor

A New Beginning

by amahra




Background
The war is at an end. Nathan has been to hell and now back into the arms of a woman he loves. But, this time - the right woman, who shares, equally, his affection.


The love poem flowed steadily from Nathan's pen as he inked the finishing touches. Since Grace had forgiven him, they'd become inseparable. They read books together, played board games, and spent time talking during breaks from her duties. The nurses playfully mocked their many gazes and bright smiles from across the room.

The emptiness he once felt was no more. She had filled what a fleecing Margaret left gaping like a purulent wound.

One evening, as Grace was finishing her duties, she turned and was surprised beyond her fondest dream.

"Will you marry me?" Nathan asked, kneeling on one knee.

"Oh, Nate," she said, her eyes filling up.

"I made it out of metal and glass. I'll get you a real one, I promise."

She glanced into his eyes, then back at the ring. Her fellow nurses giggled in the background as they awaited her response.

"YES!" She blurted.

The nurses erupted into cheers and applause as Nathan placed the ring on her finger. He stood and the two embraced long and hard as cheers continued to rise.

"I'm so happy for you," nurse White told her, wiping a tear.

"Thank you, Hildy," she said.

The nurses gathered around, fussing over her and marveling at the beautifully crafted ring. Nathan walked off smiling, allowing his beloved her precious moment.

Days later, as if nothing could be more exciting for Nathan than to have Grace as his bride, all the rumors of the war's ending proved true. The first global conflict had claimed human and animal lives stretching into the tens of millions and caused unprecedented collateral damage.

Hearing the news, the hospital emerged into a yellowing glow; as if someone had removed an iron curtain and allowed the sun to burst in, clearing away every shadowy cobweb.

"Home," Nathan whispered, as he and Grace stood in the hospital doorway.

"Peace," she said.

They held each other and stared out into the smoky-gray sky. Nathan, like most soldiers, suffered the shock of peace. The eerie absence of conflict that had so defined him for nearly a year was now pushing him into a future of uncertainty. The one thing he was sure of was Grace's love.

**************

All over the world on November 11, 1918, people were celebrating, dancing in the streets, drinking champagne, and hailing the armistice that meant the end of the war. But returning the multitude of soldiers back to the United States proved a daunting task. Most soldiers would not get home until 1919.

As Nathan endured the wait for a seat on a ship, he further fretted over whether his recent letters had reached home. He had written his mother, the Korens, and Eva, but of course, never mentioned Grace. Months later, after returning to the States, his first stop was to join Grace at her home in Ohio, where she lived with her parents.

The letters Grace had written her mother and father made them eager to meet him. He stayed only a few days, but fell even more in love with Grace after viewing her in her element, surrounded by her doting friends, childhood pictures, and all the grace and charm that wafted from her parents.

"We are delighted to meet you, son. May I call you Nate?" Grace's father asked as he nearly shook Nathan's hand off.

"Of course, sir," Nate said, quite flushed.

"Grace has told us so much about you, my dear. We feel we know you already," Mrs. Nevers said.

Grace came running down the stairs and straight into his arms.

"I thought you'd never get here."

"Sweetheart, you look beautiful," he said, examining her as if she were a fine piece of art.

Gone was the overly starched white uniform. She wore a slimming soft colored dress with drop waste and raised jagged hemline and shoes with heels that were slightly curved. Her light brown hair lay waved down her back with several locks draped across one breast.

The lovers walked arm and arm into the sitting room. The Nevers left them alone; and Isabel, their servant girl, took Nate's bags up to the guest room.

Besides Grace, George and Mary Nevers had two older children, William and Lawrence. George and his partner, Sam Bishop, had owned a struggling steel company before the war. But when the United States entered, much like many other American industrial business owners, Nevers and Bishop became instant millionaires.

Because industrial workers were exempt from the draft, William and Lawrence, who worked for their father, did not have to go to war. But the elder brother, William, said it was his duty. He joined and was sent to France. Badly wounded, he returned home just at the war's end. But the excitement of his homecoming was temporarily overshadowed with the joyful news of Grace and Nathan's future wedding.

Nathan's stay was short. He and Grace kept mostly to themselves. They took long walks, swam in a nearby lake and picnicked under the shade trees. On the last evening of his stay, Mrs. Nevers gave an engagement party, inviting fifty of their closest friends. William and Lawrence Nevers, along with their wives, were the last to arrive. They found Nathan amidst the crowd and greeted him warmly.

"I need another brother like a hole in the head," William joked, shaking Nathan's hand. "This is my wife, Anna."

"I'm very glad to meet you, Mrs. Nevers."

"He's just jealous 'cause I'm better looking," Lawrence answered, extending his hand as well. "And let me present my lovely half."

"Mrs. Nevers." Nathan said, nodding to her.

He then turned his focus back to the brothers.

"So - which one of you brutes put a dead snake in my lovely's bath water when she was five?"

"Oh! That would be me...my good man," Lawrence said, with a proud grin. "I was seven and it was my finest hour."

"Alright, you two. I don't want you contaminating my beau," Grace said, interrupting. She playfully pretended to rescue Nathan by grabbing his arm and marching him back into the dining area.

The eating, the music, and the dancing blossomed into an amazing night with blessings from their minister and well wishes from adoring friends.

Early the next morning, Grace and her parents escorted Nathan to the train station. The glitter of the newly purchased ring stood out against the dark locks of his hair as she stroked it during a final goodbye kiss.

"Oh, honey, I'm going to miss you so much," Grace whined.

"I'm going to miss you more."

"Promise you'll write as soon as you get home. Promise."

"For the one hundredth time, I promise," he said, grinning.

"I love you," she said.

"I love you more. And."

"And what?"

"And, I'm going to miss my train if you don't let me go," he said, chuckling.

"ALL ABOARD!"

"Got to go, honey." Nathan gently broke her grip and jumped onto the step. The train slowly pulled off with Grace quick-stepping alongside it and waving like mad.

"Promise you'll write!"

"I will, sweetheart."

"I love you!"

"I love you MORE!"

**************

The journey home was long and bittersweet. Nate was excited, but couldn't shake the horrors of the war which were branded in his brain. As a doctor, he had cut into man and beast, and knew the price both had paid for war.

At the Texas train station, Pete's bright smile melted Nathan's heart. He was more than a servant; he was an old friend. But first, he had to greet Eva, who flew into his arms and smacked multiple kisses all over his face. With her feet dangling off the ground, she hugged him until he could hardly breathe. She hung onto his arm tightly as they strolled to the car.

"Mr. Nate, it sho' is good to see you, Sir," Pete said, extending his gloved hand.

"Pete, from now on just call me Nate." He ignored Pete's hand and grabbed him into a bear hug. When the men parted, Pete was misty-eyed.

"I appreciate that, Sir; but around other white folks I'm going to have to call you Mr. Nate. You understand," he explained, humbly.

"I do, Pete. But just so you know...when it's just us," Nathan said, patting him on the shoulder.

Eva and Nathan climbed onto the back seat and sat snuggled together.  Pete entertained them with joking and singing funny folk songs he'd learned as a boy. He let them off at Eva's house, where Nathan could bathe and put on his dress uniform. The Korens had planned a family coming home dinner in his honor.

But Eva had other ideas as she suddenly emerged naked from the closet. She slowly peeled off his uniform, his shirt, then trousers. He grinned as she teasingly backed him up against the bed. She removed his underwear and pranced in front of him, dancing with them seductively before tossing them over her shoulder.

After pushing him gently onto his back, she massaged his penis until it appeared to nearly triple its size. Eva tossed her long red locks, then straddled him, and guided his penis inside her. She sucked air through her teeth as she slid down the fleshy pole. Her gentle hissing floated above them.  She threw her head back - arching and thrusting ever so rhythmically. Her moans fell like music.

Though Nathan felt quite heated, she was not Grace - not the virtuous woman he'd longed to ease his throbbing penis into. He thought of the soft feel of Grace in his arms, the sweet scent of her silky hair, and the cute pout of her lips. He flipped Eva over on her back and rode her like a golden Palomino into that glorious sun. They fell apart sweaty and exhausted, giggling like a couple of naughty teenagers in the back seat of a car.

Later in the evening, he and Eva showed up at the Korens exactly on the hour. Nate had the military punctuality still flowing in his veins. Eva became his first civilian victim as he clocked her while she dressed and primped for the evening.

The Korens were overjoyed to see Nathan. One of Dr. Koren's legs dragged a little behind him as he slowly got up from his chair. He bear hugged Nathan as if he'd been gone  for years instead of  several months.

Always the trooper in emergencies, he had ignored his near crippling arthritis and had taken care of the animals in Nate's absence. Although most cases went to other vets in the area, Koren took care of the most difficult ones. The two men broke away and examined one another while flashing big grins.

"Welcome back, Son," Doc said.

"I can't tell you how great it feels to be back, Sir."

"You never left our prayers," Mrs. Koren said, smiling.

Elisabeth's sister, Irene , husband Bill and their set of twins, Lillie and Rosie,were visiting the Korens for the weekend.

"Uncle Nate! Uncle Nate"! they yelled, running to him. One hugged him in front; the other hugged his side.

"Wow! I've only been gone a short time and already you guys have grown a few inches," he said, pointing to how far the teens came up to his shoulder.

"Tell us stories! Tell us stories!" They said in unison while jumping up and down.

"No stories right now. Let Uncle Nate relax and enjoy being home," Koren said.

The children quietly stomped away disappointed. Then Nathan promised to tell them a true story about a carrier pigeon that became a war hero.

"A bird hero, Uncle Nate?" Lillie blurted.

"Yep!"

"Wow," Rosie said, wide eyed.

**************

The evening went on as if time had stood still. No war, no deaths, no blood or torn flesh. He enjoyed the smell of Doc's cigar, the aroma of homemade pies, the children's giggles and the "good old" taste of Port.

After dinner, Eva hardly left his side. And when he spoke, her eyes twinkled as she watched his lips move. The evening ended most pleasantly, with the children sitting up in bed, clutching their dolls as Nathan began the story.

"It was late October, and 194 American soldiers were trapped behind enemy lines."

"What's enemy lines?" Lillie asked.

"He means the mean old Germans," Rosie said.

"Yes, that's right, the Germans," Nate said. "So...they're stuck behind enemy lines and surrounded by the Germans. They've run out of food and ammunition, plus not only are the Germans firing on them, but they're being fired on by their own countrymen who don't know they're there. They need help and fast. And the only way to get a message through to American headquarters is to send a pigeon."

"Couldn't they send any bird?"

"Oh no, Lillie. Only one kind of bird could do THIS job. Pigeons are very smart. They're fast, they're fearless and no matter where or how far you send them, they always find their way back home."

"Oooh."

"But not just any old pigeon. This was a job for their top pigeon, Cher Ami."

Rosie giggled. "That's a funny name for a bird."

"Not to the French. It means Dear Friend. Anyway, they put a message in a capsule and tied it onto Cher Ami's leg and off he flew...straight out of the bush. Higher and higher and higher, he flew way up into the sky. His wings flapping in the wind, with the American headquarters 25 miles away. He was flying along. It was smooth sailing for a while, when suddenly, the Germans spotted him."

"Bekommen, dass vogel!  (Get that bird!)"  One shouted. Cher Ami found himself in  a thunderstorm of bullets.

"Oh no." The twins were glued; their little eyes staring at Nathan's lips.

"He soared past those bullets like they were breadcrumbs, ducking and swerving, just flapping away." Rosie bit her lower lip and Lillie clenched her doll tightly. "When the Germans saw he wasn't hit, they got real mad and unleashed more firing power at him. One missed his beak but caught the side of his eye."

"No!" Lillie yelled.

"But Cher Ami kept right on flying; with one good eye, he could see the headquarters just 19 miles ahead of him.

"Schieben! (Shoot him down!)"  a nasty old German shouted,"  as they continued throwing everything they had at him. He dodged ten, twenty, thirty bullets; then forty, fifty, but as he turned to avoid a few more, one drilled a hole straight through his chest."

"Does he make it, Uncle Nate?" Lillie asked, shaking like a little leaf.

"Of course he does, silly, be quiet," Rosie snapped.

"Though gravely  wounded, the gallant bird kept flying, knowing his country needed him. His wings were flapping so fast, you could hardly see he had wings at all. With nine miles to go and his blood dripping down like red rain, Cher Ami pushed on, swerving, and dodging when all of a sudden, Boom!" Lillie jumped and Rosie sunk her teeth deeper into her bottom lip. "One bullet struck the leg with the capsule. With a half mile to go, Cher Ami flapped on, his little pigeon leg dangling by a thread of meat and the message hanging on for dear life.

"Aw!" they said in unison.

"He reached the headquarters, but collapsed on the landing, blood pouring from his chest and eye. They picked up his leg that was totally detached now, with the message still fastened to it. They opened the capsule and were shocked at what they read.

'We are along the road parallel to 276.4. Our own artillery is dropping a barrage directly on us. For God's sake, STOP IT!'"

"Yippee!  He made it!"

"I told you he would," Rosie said, grinning.

"They immediately called off the firing and launched a rescue mission. Thanks to Cher Ami's gallant flying and continuous efforts in the face of death, they reached the soldiers just in time, saving the 194 men. He was awarded the highest medal and a wooden leg.
He was the most decorated bird in the world."

The twins cheered and clapped.

"Oh I love pigeons."

"Can we have one, Uncle Nate?"

"Oh no, you'd have to keep it locked up in a cage. And that would be cruel. Don't you think?"

"Yeah," they said in unison.

"Okay, time to go to sleep," he gently ordered. Lillie jumped into her own bed. Nathan tucked them in and kissed them on the forehead.

"Goodnight, Uncle Nate," Lillie said, yawning.

Rosie said nothing;  she'd dozed off as soon as her little head hit the pillow. Nathan walked to the door and looked back at them. He felt something he'd  never felt before. It was a sudden eagerness to repeat this scene, many times with children of his own. He smiled and closed the door.

Waiting downstairs, Eva hugged and thanked the Korens for a wonderful evening. Nathan joined her and they drove off into the night.  After waving them off, Mrs. Koren shook her head. "Poor Eva," she said, holding on to Dr. Koren's arm.

**************

For several days Nathan treated Eva warmly, but distant. She asked her confidant if it could be  battle fatigue. Her friend concluded that it was quite possible, and if Nate decided to talk, she should be very sympathetic and understanding. Eva appeared grateful for the advice and said she felt more assured than ever about their relationship.

Nathan couldn't bear not telling Eva any longer.   He just couldn't find the right moment. He knew how much she loved him and how much telling her would hurt. One evening, after dinner, standing in her bedroom, Nathan finally said.

"Eva, we need to talk." He took a deep breath and turned around. "Eva, I'm sorry, but I've met someone," he practiced, staring into the mirror. "Now, Eva you know we never DID discuss marriage."

 "SHIT! Dear God, help me," he whispered, dropping his head.

Eva emerged from the bathroom. Her sweet scent filled the room. She was naked and her hair was wrapped in a towel.

"Sweetie, did I hear you talking to someone?"

"Sit down," he said, handing her pink nightie. "I have something to tell you."



Recognized


This is a complete chapter. It seems a little long because I felt it essential to let Nathan tell the twins the Pigeon story. The story is true, though I added a little more drama with a tiny bit of human character. The complete story can be found online. Just type: Cher Ami. The brave little pigeon was awarded France's highest honor, The Croix de Guerre with Palm. If you think it's too long, I'll try to shorten the bedtime story.

For those who are new to the story:

Main Characters:

Nathan Daniels....Main Character
Duchess Margaret...Nathan's heart breaker and lost love
Doctor Koren.......Nathan's Mentor
Elisabeth Koren....Doctor Koren's wife
Koren Twins .......Ella and Ellie

Eva Mitchell.......Deeply in love with Nathan

And Introducing....Nurse Grace Nevers

Korens' Servants:

Pete...........Negro Driver
Merald.............Head housekeeper
Jenny...............Maid and cook

Supporting Characters:
Sweet Springs Town folk

Art Work by Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. amahra All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
amahra has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.