Horror and Thriller Poetry posted September 2, 2013 Chapters: 3 4 -5- 6... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Oh dear god...there are clowns in my head.

A chapter in the book A Picture's Worth a Thousand Poems

~Clowns in my Head~

by Dean Kuch


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.


Background
A poem from my picta-poem ® collection
 photo halloween-clown-evil-wallpaper_zpsd8019ad7.jpg



Recognized


The origin of the English word clown is uncertain, but it is thought to have come from a Scandinavian or Teutonic word for "clod", which means a coarse or boorish fellow, a lout. Clowning goes far back into history. Traces of it appear in Greek burlesque and on the Roman stage.

Throughout the Middle Ages, kings and nobles had their clowns: Fools and Court Jesters who were privileged characters as long as what they said and did amused their masters. These were often gifted musicians, mimics, skilled dancers, and acrobats, full of wit and impertinence.

The fool carried a mock sceptre, called a Marotte, which was a stick with a carved head and tassels. He often used the marotte to protect his master.

The fool of early history wore a hood with donkey ears and, often, a tail on his costume. This was to portray how "asinine" he was - and object of ridicule and not to be taken seriously. The hood and tail evolved into a three-pointed cap with bells at the ends. The pointed cap and tasseled scepter became symbols of these jesters.

On the old English stage a clown was a privileged laugh provoker. He had no real part in the drama, but carried on his jokes and tricks, sometimes addressing himself to the delighted audience instead of confining himself to the stage action.Shakespeare elevated the clown, giving him a speaking part, often using him as a comic relief to ease the tension in his tragedies. The grave diggers in Hamlet are clowns. Othello had his clown. Launcelot Gobbo was Shylock's famous clown. Find out more about Shakespeare's Clowns.

In France, the Pierrot in his signature costume and powdered face was a happy, lighthearted clown, also an accomplished dancer. The Pierrot's character has changed over time and is now typically a romantic, sad figure, often with a tear painted on his white cheek. The female counterpart is called Pierette.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Dean Kuch All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Dean Kuch has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.