Biographical Poetry posted August 12, 2013


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
haibun

Horse Ranch Christmas

by dejohnsrld (Debbie)

Horse Ranch Christmas
 
Interstate turns to narrow paved highway, then hours of Arkansas dirt with mud splattering windshield. Reach log cabin, wood-burning stove, outhouse. No hotel maid, swimming pool, television, or running water.
 
Guests do chores before and after riding horses. Christmas Eve Day, assign dinner tasks. Bread bakes, butter churns, I use lard in handmade pie crusts. Wash hands in basin with homemade soap, haul wood and pump water. Wilderness replaces civilization -- a hundred years vanished.                                
 In forest, the perfect pine tree found to chop down and drag to cabin. String popcorn and cranberries. Decorate tree by lantern light. Sipping cider, warmth, stories.

Teens sleep upstairs with handmade quilts. Overnight snowfall, cold awakening.
                            
Feed stove, exchange homemade gifts and do chores. Dinner with apple pie, the best ever. Holiday ride on snowy trails. Bottoms sore from saddles. Absence of luxury changes perspective. No desire to return home.
  
 once tightly closed
   blossom unfolds its petals
 true gift revealed
 



Recognized


Thanks to Willie for the awesome picture of the cabin

Haibun are a combination of prose poem and haiku. The contest was already full, but decided to post this anyway
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by willie at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. dejohnsrld (Debbie) All rights reserved.
dejohnsrld (Debbie) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.