General Poetry posted July 6, 2013


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
For Israel and Egypt

Holocausts

by Mike K2

Holocausts are created in this world every day.
The severity only depends on how many people look away.




To me, the term, "Holocaust," to me represents absolute hatred to a peoples. I created this poem out of scraps I heard of other conversations from a Baltimore Poetry Discussion Group meeting. One woman did some research on her family and I believe it was her great grandfather who came over here from Europe in the 1850's, and she seemed astounded that he had apparently fled from another Holocaust and she found out there are many. Also somewhere in the discussion, was mention of a challenge from one poet to another to create a two line poem.

I recently posted a poem for my Baltimore's Museums project about the Jewish Museum of Maryland titled, "A Little Jewish Museum." This poem took several months to create and just gave me the dickens trying to come up with a concept because all I could envision is an old man in the Bimah laughing at me. I finally said, "You enjoy watching me suffer." I then sensed a smile, "Is that what you want me to relate, why you came over hear and the importance of preserving it?" It was nice to get a smile and a direction to take the poem.

On problem was it was very easy to turn the work into a Holocaust poem, but surely, other holocausts or threats of them, drove them out of the countries they were in. It is that sense I wanted to relate, as though not Jewish, my grandfather left Germany for similar reasons.

I think about today's world where the wrong people take charge and are just heaping insult and misery upon the very lives they purport to be leading, yet indicate, "Join me or die!"

There is so much of this in Africa and the Middle East, as well with terrorism has a tendency to flair up in other country's when they do not fight against this. Egypt comes to mind and in a sense, it is a true Tea Party movement as they got bad treatment and harshness which was what they weren't promised; so in a sense they took their country back and are fighting it.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.