Children Fiction posted June 18, 2013


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Having a moooing good time

Who Let the Cows Out

by jmdg1954

















   Clara and Jeffery Cow grazed in the same part of the field for longer than they could remember. Clara enjoyed looking at the world outside their field, wondering what it was like. Jeffery was content in chewing.

   Every morning at 10 o'clock, the same bus came zooming along the dirt road and over the rickety bridge. Clara always stopped chewing and stared at the bus. "Jeffery, where does the bus go?"

   One cloudy day, by accident, the farmer left the gate open. At its usual time, the bus came along. Clara thought to herself: this is my chance. I can finally find out where this bus goes every day.

  "Jeffery, you want to come with me?" She stuck out her hoof. The bus stopped, the doors opened and on she hopped.

   She was surprised to discover the seats were occupied by people, pets and farm animals. It really was a community bus. She needed two seats to sit, so after some maneuvering with a few families, she was comfortable. She watched people get on and off, always nodding politely as they passed. She was having the time of her life.

   There seemed to be lots of interesting places outside their fence. The problem was, she couldn't decide where to get off. Eventually she ended up back at her own field.

   The next day she was better prepared, she had a plan. When the bus arrived at The Small World Nursery School, she got off, just on time for outdoor playtime.

   She gave rides to all the children and became quite a celebrity. Everyone swarmed around her trying to determine if she was white with black spots, or black with white spots. She loved the school, and didn't want to leave. Soon the bus came by and Clara sadly hopped back on. Waving her hoof, she said, "Bye kiddies. I love you."

   Now you know what terrible gossips cows can be, and in the milking shed everyone wanted to hear every detail of her day trip, including Jeffery.

   The next day was hot and sunny and she already had a plan. She was standing at the bus stop in plenty of time before the bus arrived. Clara said good morning to Gus, the driver and took her usual two seats. Today she was going to get off at Tidewater Beach. It didn't take long for the crowds to gather around her and bring ice cream, snacks and other treats. As much as Clara Cow enjoyed her popularity, it became time to pack up and go home. She was greeted by a big smile from Gus when he opened the doors.

   That evening in the milking shed, no-one could contain their excitement, and everyone wanted to try on her Kiss me Quick hat.

   The next morning the bus rumbled down the country road and over the rickety bridge. What a sight Gus's eyes met. There at the bus stop just outside the field stood over thirty mooing cows waiting for the bus.

   Gus didn't stop that day.



Recognized


I tried writing this for a 7-9 year old to be able to read. Please let me know your constructive feedback and suggestions. Thank you, John
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jmdg1954 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
jmdg1954 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.