General Fiction posted April 4, 2013


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Dad gives advice to heart broken son.

Plenty of fish in the sea

by GWHARGIS

My first real taste of heart break came when I was a mere boy of nine. It was a hurt so devastating I never thought I'd recover.

Melissa Serat gave Michael Evans a Valentine that was twice the size of the one she gave me.

By the time I walked home from school, I was all but dragging my pouting bottom lip behind me.

"What's wrong?" my dad asked when he saw me looking sad.

"Melissa Serat likes Michael Evans."

Dad scratched his chin as he searched for soothing words.

"Good thing there are plenty of fish in the sea. The girl of your dreams could live all the way in France for all you know. Or she could be living right next door."

But five year old Allie, who still climbs trees is the only girl who lives beside me.

So my dad was no help at all.

The next major romantic pain came near the end of seventh grade. I asked Sarah Reston to go to the dance. She said yes, then called to cancel when Will Frasier asked her instead. She said it was because he was taller than me.

I sat on my bed with my head hanging low, the phone still warm in my hand.

"Why so down?" my dad asked.

"Sarah Reston just called to tell me she's going with Will to the dance."

He nodded his head and dug deep for counsel.

"Good thing there are plenty of fish in the sea. Why, the girl of your dreams could be climbing Mt. Everest, or she could be on the other side of the fence."

I looked out the window only to see ten year old Allie as she turned cartwheels without a care.

My dad figured he had helped me, but once again, I was left empty.

By high school I thought I had it all figured out. I had a few girls interested in me. But for some reason, be it them or me, the roaring fires of romance slowly fizzled out. And I was left wondering if I'd ever find that special girl.

"So, it didn't work out?" Dad would usually say. He'd try to convince me that one day I'd find a love so true that I would look back on this and laugh.

"Son, there's plenty of fish in the sea. The girl of your dreams could be in school across town or cleaning gutters next door."

I saw my fourteen year old neighbor Allie standing on a ladder dropping handfuls of leaves to the ground.

My father didn't have a clue.

In my second year of college I met the girl of my dreams. At least that's what I thought. I planned to take her home to meet my folks, but once again fate nixed that. She left me for my roommate.

I came home on break, depressed and alone. This breakup the final straw.

My dad looked at me and once more he said those words.

"There are plenty of fish in the sea, but only one fish for you. She's been under your nose the whole time." He pointed next door with a smile on his face. "Allie's waiting for you, she's been patient indeed. But reel her in slowly with love and with care. That one is a keeper."

I peeked out the window and finally saw the beauty who lived right next door.
She smiled and she waved, so happy to see me.

I looked at my dad with great admiration. Perhaps I had misjudged him.

There might be plenty of fish in the sea, but as far as I know, there's only one fish for me.

And she happens to live next door.



Recognized


Feed back. Please and thank you. Thank you to Doris1022 for the fun picture.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. GWHARGIS All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
GWHARGIS has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.