Romance Fiction posted March 31, 2013 Chapters:  ...38 39 -40- 41... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Paige finds out about the hidden stairs.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 9, part 5

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
PREVIOUS POST:
Within thirty minutes, the P.I. parked in front of Paige's house, and Cash and Billy Joe walked up to him. Each offered a hand and introduced themselves.

"Bart, the hood of the jaguar has a huge handprint on it. Can you check to see who it belongs to?"

"A couple buddies of mine work in the police department. They'll run the prints for a price."

"Not a problem." Cash took out his billfold. "How soon will we get the results?"


TODAY'S POST:

After Bart left, Cash and Billy Joe checked the outside and installed a new lock on the old kitchen door. Then the men went inside.

At the top of the stairs, Mary Pat stood just inside the bedroom door. "What'd you find out?"

"Someone was in the house and left by the front door. They trashed the parlor, looking for something." Cash glanced at Paige. "Any ideas what?"

"No." Paige paused and chewed on her lower lip. "Wait. Mr. Redman told me a few months ago someone contested the will. He never said who. I told him I wouldn't take possession until it was all squared away. He called a few weeks later and said everything was taken care of. Do you think it could still be in question?"

Cash sat beside her. "I think first thing in the morning you need to call Redman." He touched her ankle resting on the pillow and grinned. "You might want to make an appointment for the regular cast. By Friday, the swelling should be down." He rubbed the back of his neck. "There's a huge handprint on your jag. Karen's dating a P.I., I had him come by and take a print."

Mary Pat smiled at Paige. "Told you so."

Paige blushed.

"What's that about?" Cash interrupted.

"Just girl talk." Mary Pat tilted her head.

"Anyway, he knows some guys at the police department and they'll run the prints. Maybe we'll find out who's bothering you."

Billy Joe hugged his wife. "We're staying here tonight. That way we're sure Paige's safe."

Mary Pat crawled to the opposite side of the bed from Paige. "I'm sleeping with her. You two can fight for the floor."

"You don't need to stay. If you feel you must, there are four bedrooms in this house besides mine and the nursery next door. Nobody has to sleep on the floor." Paige released a deep breath.

"Billy Joe and I'll stay downstairs and make sure nobody gets in the house."

"Mary Pat'll make sure nobody comes in through the hidden staircase." Billy Joe pointed to the wardrobe.

"What?" both women screamed and eyebrows rose.

"Dang it! I sorta let it slip. Sorry."

"It's too late now." Cash walked over and opened the hidden door. "Billy Joe accidently found this."

"When were you going to tell me about it?" Paige glared at Cash. "What else are you hiding from me? Tunnels?"

"We ain't found no tunnels. Cash says there ain't no tunnels." Billy Joe pointed his toothpick toward his buddy.

Cash used the palms of both hands to rub his eyes. "I'm too tired and frustrated to have this conversation right now. We'll talk in the morning."

"You're darn right we'll talk, buster." She watched Cash turn and leave. "We also have a little issue of guns being brought into my house."

"Ya know that hidden staircase would be a great place to put an elevator." Billy Joe followed his buddy.

"Thanks a lot." He pointed toward the parlor. "Why don't you take the couch in there, and I'll find something to sleep on in the kitchen."

Billy Joe paused. "Do ya think Paige really has a problem with guns?"

"I think Paige has an issue with a lot of Southern ways." Cash released a deep breath.



Recognized


Thank you google images for the photo representing an antebellum wardrobe. Thank you for reading and reviewing. If you have not read my previous posts, then you will probably be confused with this post. I'm back to posting once a week. Sorry, I draw this out so long. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.