Romance Fiction posted March 14, 2013 Chapters:  ...35 36 -37- 38... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 9, part 2

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs North as these two attempt to find love.
PREVIOUS POST:

Once the downstairs rooms were cleared, Billy Joe leaned against a wall in the kitchen with ceiling to floor cupboards. It opened. He peeked in. "Hey, did you know this place has a secret staircase?"

"Nothing about this place surprises me anymore."

"I wonder if there's a tunnel?"

"You've been around Paige too long. There's no secret tunnels." Cash started up the stairs.

TODAY'S POST:

At the top, Cash searched for an opening. "We gotta be close to Paige's bedroom. It's above the kitchen. Billy Joe, you still got that flashlight on your key chain?"

"The one you always tease me about?" He handed it to his friend.

"Who would've thought this little thing would come in handy?" Cash shined it on the wall. "I know there's a way out."

"Maybe it was never finished." Billy Joe leaned against a wall. "Whoa!" He stumbled back.

"Quit horsing around."

"I found the opening."

Cash turned and pushed until the opening widened. "Paige's wardrobe. That's strange."

"I'm wondering what other secrets this house has?"

"This was a waste of time. We'd better check with the women before we go outside. Don't say anything to Paige. I don't want her imagination going wild."

The men walked into the parlor. Mary Pat glanced up. "Paige is tired. Can she go to her room? She'll be more comfortable in bed."

"We didn't find anything in the house." Cash leaned over Paige and glanced at her ankle. "I think the swelling's gone down a little." He lifted her. "Mary Pat, can you get the mutt?"

*****
After Cash set Paige on the bed, she watched Cash and Billy Joe leave the room before she glanced at Mary Pat. "Do you think somebody wants to hurt me?"

Her friend sat beside her and rubbed her arm. "Somebody put the note on the door for a reason. That I'm sure of, but I don't know why." She glanced around the room. "Let's get you snuggled in for the night."

"I doubt I can sleep knowing somebody hates me and wants me out of my house and out of Savannah." She hugged her pillow. "Who would've thought making friends with my housekeeper would've caused so much trouble."

"Around here, some people still hang on to the old ways. I doubt they'll ever change."

"I understand, but what does it have to do with me? I'm not asking them to change."

"That's the part that doesn't make sense." Mary Pat smoothed the blankets. "How can I help?"

"I appreciate you just being here." She squeezed the pillow tighter. "I've always been independent. Now, I've had to rely on you, Billy Joe, and Cash for so much. Maybe I should go back home."

"I think if you did that, a certain Southern boy would miss you a lot." Mary Pat grinned.

Paige petted Morgan. "I'd take him with me. Isn't that right, little guy?"

"You know who I mean." Mary Pat tilted her head at the door. "The man who took you to Sunday dinner to meet his mama. The best I can tell you're the first to get that privilege."

"I seriously doubt that. What about Karen? When I was changing after church on Sunday, she came to the house."

"Have you asked Cash about her?" After Paige shook her head, Mary Pat continued, "After our afternoon out, I asked Billy Joe about her. She married Cash's younger brother. Colt died two years ago this coming September. He liked to race cars south of town. For some reason his car caught on fire. He left Karen and a little boy."

"That had to be hard on Cash and his mom."

"It was. Cash and Colt took over their dad's business. His dad died of cancer about five years ago. Cash was always the more serious of the two. He helps Karen every chance he gets."

"Has Cash ever had a serious girlfriend?"

"Not really, or I should say, if he did, he didn't let anybody know about it."

"Cash and Billy Joe are outside making sure my house is safe and we're in here gossiping." Paige giggled. "There's something wrong about that."

Mary Pat smiled. "Where's your pajamas?"

Paige stopped and thought a moment before pointing. "The second drawer on the left."

Mary Pat opened it. "Which ones?"

"I normally wear oversized T-shirts, but with all the men around, that won't work." Paige pointed at her ankle. "Pajama pants won't fit over this thing. I'll wear the sweats and cut them off at the knee. There's a T-shirt in the next drawer."

After Mary Pat found the clothes, she helped Paige change. As the women visited, Morgan let out a loud growl, then barked.

Paige grabbed the puppy. "What's that?" As she held him, she pulled the blankets to her chest and stared at the door.

Mary Pat put her finger to her lips, crept toward the door, and aimed her Ruger LCP.

She stepped into the hall and scanned the area. Seeing nothing, she backed into the room and removed the cell phone from her pocket. "Billy Joe, where are you?" She listened a moment. "There's somebody in the house besides Paige and me." Again, she listened, then put her phone away.

"The guys are on their way." Mary Pat continued staring into the hall with her weapon ready.




Recognized


Thank you google images for the photo representing a secret staircase. Thank you for reading and reviewing. I'm on spring break so I hope I can catch up some. LOL
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.