General Fiction posted March 7, 2013 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Marie finds herself in grave danger

A chapter in the book The Curse of 'Gator Bayou

Chapter 14 Reptilian Eyes

by justjo66

Chapter 14   Reptilian Eyes
 
“Sally, this is Renee.  Sorry, I didn’t get to talk with you at Evangeline’s funeral.”

“Oh, Renee, I completely understand.  How are you doing?”  Sally replied.

“Some days better than others.  I miss her and haven’t been able to sleep in our bedroom. “

“Poor dear…it must have been horrible to have seen her like that.  What did you do with that bed?”

“I called some professional cleaners.  I told them to burn the bed and rugs.  Sally, I need to ask you some questions and I want you to be totally honest with me.”

“Of course, Suga, what do you need to know?” 

“I need to know if you knew who Evangeline was seeing.”

“ She wasn’t seeing anyone.  Why, she loved you.” Sally cooed.

“Sally, please, I’m pretty sure I know who killed her but I need your confirmation.”

“Well, okay, if it will catch the awful man who did this to her.  I don’t know his real name.  I only know she met him at the drugstore in Houma one day about three months ago.  I’m not sure of the date.  He was tall and very good looking with dark hair.  She went with him to Baton Rouge a few times, too, that I know of.  That’s all I really know.  I met him once.  Something sinister about him but I couldn’t put my finger on it.  I promise, Renee, that is all I know.  I hope you catch that bastard.”

“Thank you  for being honest with me.  I will catch him.”  Renee hung up the phone.

 
Renee had heard from his deputy that Marie had gone to New Orleans to look for work months ago,
 however, he did not know where she was working.  It was vital that he find her and inform the police in New Orleans that a serial killer was out for revenge.  He would call the New Orleans police department today.  Meanwhile, he would take a skiff out to Bayou Cane and talk with Mrs. Terrebonne.
 
 Mrs. Terrebonne was doing just fine.  She told him that Marie had a good job working as a maid in a place called ‘Rosewood House’ and that she had been sending home as much money as  could  be spared.  Sheriff warned Mrs. Terrebonne of Alex’s brother and to not give out Marie’s address to anyone else.  He got the address and headed back to town. 

 Renee would have to wait until the end of the week before he could leave his office in Houma and go to New Orleans.   Loose ends had to be tied up at home and the office. The police chief in New Orleans had assured him that there would be a twenty-four hour surveillance placed on Marie and Rosewood House.   He felt pretty certain that Marie was safe for now. 

 
It had been a little over a week since Marie had made her decision.  Things had been rather cool with Madame Gigi.   Marie could tell she was very angry with her.  She hoped this would pass and she would be able to stay on as a maid.   Without a social security number she would not be able to work in the factories or other places.  I will keep to myself  and maybe things will blow over.  Marie thought .   Madame Gigi met her coming in from the kitchen.

“Marie, we’re having a special party tonight for some of my very special patrons.  I do NOT want you anywhere in sight.  Stay in your room.  Do you understand me?”  Madame Gigi ordered.

“Yes, Madame, I will do as you say.”  Marie replied.  That’s strange. She has always wanted me downstairs for these events.  Marie thought.  Later that afternoon, when she could hear the party downstairs beginning she heard a gentle knock on her door.

“Marie, open the door I have something for you.”  Madame Gigi stood holding a platter with supper and a glass of dark red wine.  “I’m sorry you have to stay in your room.  Please drink your wine and have your supper.  I’ll see you in the morning.” 

Marie drank her wine but wasn’t very hungry.  Soon, she felt very drowsy and a little dizzy.  “I guess the wine was a little too much for me,” she said aloud as she drifted off into a drugged sleep.  She heard the downstairs Grandfather clock strike twelve times.  It seemed as if it was far, far away.  For some reason she couldn’t understand why she felt so funny.  Reality seemed to come in and out.  Was she dreaming?  She thought.  Shadows in the room were playing tricks on her.  She thought she had seen a tall man over by her door.  No, it was just a shadow, she thought.

“Who is there?” she called out feebly.  She heard only the echo of her own voice.  Something’s not right.  Her befuddled mind couldn’t grasp the reality.

Then she felt his warm breath  and saw his eyes.  They were yellow green and reptilian.  A hand reached out from thin air.  Something was in her mouth.  She couldn’t scream.  It was a cloth of some kind tied across her mouth and making it hard to breathe.  Then the voice in the dark.

“Shhh, chere, I’ve come to just play with you.  Madame gave you to me tonight.  You play real good and I let you live.” 

Marie wanted to scream but she couldn’t. Tears rolled down her  face.  Her arms and legs were frozen.  She could not get them to cooperate.  She flailed  without any strength. 

“Oh, good, you fight me…dat’s okay, I like it.  I tell you a little secret before we begin our game.  De man you killed, Alex Terrebonne, was my brother.   My name is Gator and my sweet, Chere, you will remember my name.  I will leave you somethin’ to help your memory. “  Gator grabbed Marie by her hair and flipped her over onto her stomach.   “I tie your hands and feet.  I don’t want you to ruin my fun.”  Gator laughed and took out a 9 inch Bowie knife and cut Marie’s gown off her.  “Now, we play.”

Hours later, Marie lay almost dead, bloody, and unconscious.  Gator had raped and sodomized her then took his Bowie knife and from her neck down to her waist had carved a herring bone pattern by taking two inch strips of flesh from her back.  Thirty cuts all together; if she lived she would have scars  for the rest of her life.  He stood back soaked in her blood and laughed.  “A fine job if I do say so.  You’ll live, you are a strong girl and you’ll remember Gator.  My mark is on you.  You belong to me now. I come see you again…we have more fun.  A pound of flesh for my brother.”  Then he slipped silently out of the room.

The next morning when Marie didn’t show up for breakfast, Miss Moselle went to her room and found  the door ajar.

“Oh, mercy, mercy, Oh Jesus, Miss Marie done been killed!”  Miss Moselle screamed.

Nell and a few of the other girls came running.  “What happened?”  Nell asked first.
“Call an ambulance! Get her to the hospital!”  Nell shouted.
 
 
 
 
 




Gator is Alex Terrebonne's brother. Alex Terrebonne was Marie's step-dad that she killed in self defense.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. justjo66 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
justjo66 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.