General Non-Fiction posted February 17, 2013 Chapters: Prologue -1- 2... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
My mission statement about this work.

A chapter in the book Baltimore's Museums

Why Baltimore's Museums.

by Mike K2

Why a poetic/photographic project for Baltimore's Museums?

I just think it is an important time to do a project to highlight the museums of Baltimore. Especially, since Baltimore is cash strapped as people are not only leaving the city, but many people from surrounding areas tend not to visit as one is just as likely to encounter a bad experience, as much as a good one.

For years The Poe House and Museum, which ran on a stipend from the city, was not only threatened with the city insisting they become self-sufficient and no longer funded; that actually happened.

In September of 2012 The Poe House and Museum had to close its doors with people also picking up Poe artifacts donated for the museum's use. The Poe House is in what I call a state of receivership with another museum and does plan to reopen its doors in the fall of 2013. Fundraising and celebratory events are still occurring.

The city has also cited plans to sell of a dozen other historical landmarks, which I feel were underutilized, such as the city's Shot Tower. Once the nations tallest building and produced dropped lead shot for firearms from 1828-1892.

The other reason I decided to do this work is to say thanks and show support to so many museums I visited, enjoyed and even volunteered at. It would be no greater pleasure for me to produce something that the museums could use themselves to generate much needed revenue.

Last, I want this to be a reminder for the museums themselves of what people love about them and their role in providing the attentive services to make a person's visit enjoyable.

There are those who view the museum as their property, or treat their responsibilities like a job, not a service; so it would be nice to show them an expanded view and make them think about their mission statements.

I also want to provide those who volunteer with accolades, as it is their love for what they do that definitely adds to that enjoyable experience their visitors receive. Their commitment to service, such as leading tours, as well the extra knowledge they supply to inquiring patrons.


My childhood was blessed with many visits to museums and I attended many on family outings with my father and mother, then again as my sister grew up. The Baltimore Zoo, Druid Hill Conservatory, The Poe House and Museum, and many others were ones we visited.

My father was upset that the Shot Tower was usually closed, but the one time he found the door open and was informed it was closed; he managed to sweet talk the steward on giving us an impromptu tour. That personal commitment made a building become much more than a landmark letting you know you entered into Little Italy.

Likewise with my grandmother, who loved the Walter's Art Gallery; there were trips to them and other smaller museums by way of MTA, and it made for many interesting Summer Vacation diversions, from my usual explorations and adventures at the park.

To me, all museums have their element of being haunted. Most are psychological impressions as you admire a former craftsman's or artist's skills, talent and love. Or you come to understand why someone made an object a coveted treasure.  Or like the Industrial Museum, preserved a pivotal era of our existence.

But what greater honor, then security giving you the go ahead to run amuck though the museum after hours. Indeed, in the darkened environs, the museum came alive with life.

It was just a rare benefit for helping out a friend with his Eagle project at the newly opened, National Aquarium in Baltimore. Standing on the platform at the Dolphin tank and having the Dolphins perform for us a special show ... Until they realized we didn't have their fish bucket with us. Or walking though and getting the feeling that to the thousands of fish, you were more of a display then them.

And talk about haunted woods, go though the Rain Forest alone at night. But it was that night I truly learned to appreciate the creation of this living museum as you toured and saw just how much love and work went into creating it.

Enjoying the Baltimore Aquarium was just something I couldn't do during the day. I worked at retrieving hats and pacifiers from the tanks that people dropped in. I was also constantly distracted with handling my security responsibilities of, "Keeping things cool."

That night we let security know what we were truly capable of as we entertained them at their monitors with our wheelchair races and wrecks down the Coral Reef's tank ramp. But just as impressive as the museum itself was gaining an understanding of what is truly involved in running a museum.

This work is also for the everyday person to read, so they too, can find museums an interesting and worthwhile place to not only visit, but also support.




Photograph copyright 2012. These are photographs of two of the outdoor displays from the American Visionary Art Museum's outdoor collection and combined using photoshop.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.