General Fiction posted October 6, 2012


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Lost and Found

Missing Sunday

by Realist101

Short story -- humorous Contest Winner 
Imogene watched a mouse nibbling on a crumb so small it wouldn't have fed an ant, but the rodent was rotund, bright eyed and healthy as a horse. Stealing food stored in the basement afforded it a good living, and she could just see the frayed boxes of candy and cereal that was supposed to be for the Sunday school kids. The sugar leaking from chewed bags, and worse. Mice were simply disgusting, no matter if they were among God's creations.

The creature was insolent too, chewing and staring at her as if daring a confrontation. She shrugged, making a mental note to tell Reverand Hightower to buy D-Con. Or better yet, some sticky traps. Who wanted to handle the things?

"Where's May?" She spoke aloud to herself; her sister noticeably absent from the front pew. Her neck cracked as she strained to look back at the front doors of the church. The sound was loud enough, that it scared the round mouse back down into its hole.

Consternation forced Imogene to stand and begin a quick search for her sister. The sermon would start soon. It would do no good to have May Ellen come fumbling to the front pew,once the ball was rolling. Where on earth was everyone? She could not understand why no one was here yet. There were always at least a dozen worshippers.

She pursed her lips and smoothed her skirt. It just never failed. May Ellen was getting senile. Always thinking something was going on, when in fact, there never was. Today it'd been something about some missing hymnals. Most of them were here, neatly tucked into the racks on the backs of the seats. Imogene thought that it was just a few that'd been sent off to be rebound. Or replaced. She scowled. Time was short.

"Hello, Imogene. How are you today? Where's May?" Pauline Hall stood in front of her, oddly enough, holding her mop. Odd to wait to clean just before Sunday service.

"Well, she's not here. Said something about missing hymnals. Phooey. I'm off to find her before the sermon begins. She was acting distracted at home. If you see her, Pauline, please tell I'm looking for her, will you?"

"Of course, dear. You know I will." Pauline twirled the mop handle around and pulled her sparse hair back from round apple-shaped cheeks. Imogene smiled. Pauline was kind. Albeit a bit nosy, she was a good egg. But to dress in work clothes to go to church. Well, to each his own.

"Thank you. See you in a few minutes."

Outside, the day was brilliant with blue skies and cotton-ball clouds. Imogene raised a hand to shade her eyes and scanned the parking lot. No pink dress was visible. May could be in a group of people somewhere, stuck in a long-winded conversation. Imogene had to try to think like a flatfoot. The church property was not all that huge. What had May Ellen last said? Other than the hymnals were short a few? She couldn't remember. What with almost losing her glasses, and then the car keys, she was beginning to get worried for her own sanity. This was getting to be too much.

A ball flew past her face. And right behind it a small boy. She almost tipped backwards, but with a loud "Oooo!", she stayed upright.

"Young man! Watch what you're doing! Hey, Timmy, come over here a sec?" Imogene had to laugh. She'd put the energy of a child to work.

"What, Miss Crane?" The boy stood, ready for his chastising.

"Would you like to help me find May Ellen? She was supposed to be right behind me. Or beside me." Her hat was beginning to feel like a heating pad put on high.

"Sure!" Timmy Barnes' face lit up. Imogene put an arm around his small shoulders.

"Okay, then. You know what May is wearing? A pink dress. Real bright too. Easy. I want you to go everywhere you can, and see if you see her ... and ask around? Then meet me here in front of the doors in five minutes. Thanks Timmy."

"Sure, Miss Crane. Be right back."

"Don't be messin' around, Tim!" How strange that church was so barren, so empty. She peered into the vestibule. The closets and even the janitor room. Pauline was the one who cleaned. Every Saturday, before the evening service she made the stained windows sparkle, the floors gleam, and each pew was polished to perfection. Imogene wished she could hire Pauline to clean her house. But for now, it was time to find May.

"Timmy, there you are. Have any luck?"

"No, Miss Crane. I can't find May anywhere's. But I can keep looking if you want me to." The child was a godsend. Energetic and kind, his mother could be proud of him.

"Let's see if Pauline'll let us check the basement. She could be watching that old television down there."

"I went there, Miss Crane. Nobody's there 'cept the mice -- and I seen a spider too."

"Oh, dear, well, I'll go check the car. Maybe she isn't feeling so good. Thanks Timmy. You go find your folks okay?"

"K, Miss Crane! See ya!"


The sun beat down and Imogene made her way out to the shady spot where she always parked. A small cat perched on the hood of the Mercury, its feet curled up tight beneath it, watching the birds just out of reach in the old maple tree's limbs.

"Why, there you are, May! Why are you out here? Everyone else'll be here soon. Let's go inside. Are you okay? Don't tell me you've been here all along, what with me searching all over the place for you? Shame on you."

"I'm just waiting. You do know it's Saturday? I thought we were going to Walmart."




Short story -- humorous
Contest Winner


My first 'detective' story? Hope it works. :)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Realist101 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Realist101 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.