General Fiction posted June 17, 2012


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
contest entry for Tall Tales and Campfire Stories

The story of Eve

by apelle

Tall Tales and Campfire Stories Contest Winner 
Ironically, if we can bring up irony when we refer to a catastrophe meant to annihilate the human race, the offender was a woman. Not many know that.

Amelia Eckhart, Ph.D. in biological macro-physical at the Justus University in Dresden, Germany, was the one that tripped over the "magic," formula women were looking for ages, trying every trick in the book to stay young longer. I will not go into medical details, details which I don’t store in my cortex anymore given that many years have passed already.

The fall out story sounds simple and clean. In the mentioned Dresden medical laboratory, someone, one idiot for sure, reversed Dr. Eckhart's formula and created a highly contagious virus which immediately proved to be lethal to all females, basically half of humankind. It is not known who was the Misogynist (M capitalized) who released the contents of the vial but things started unfolding quickly.

The women in the Research Center died in less than two hours and the next morning the entire city was in panic, followed soon by mourning. It did not matter if they were eight or eighty years old, the virus did not spare.

The world had no idea what to make out of this tragedy, but women started to disappear and soon it took months or years to spot a woman. With no women, no female newborns the human race was sentenced to disappear in oblivion, in a total destruction of DNA. Measures needed to be taken, but which?

Six and a half years after the first death, the last woman, Lena, perished. After living for five years in a septic room and already past fifty years, she said her goodbye. Her death was labeled “natural”, as much as one can argue leukemia to be natural. Anyway...

Lena and other few of the last women to perish, the apostles, as they became known later, have contributed before leaving us, with a fairly high number of eggs, and that in itself, started a war. A civil war between the supporters of the new species versus the old male thinking. Men were caught between blindly defending those who enjoyed the honorable ending and protecting the new way of life.

Years later, which is when the real story starts, a rumor was started amongst men and spread like wildfire. "Eve was born!" All languages of the planet had printed bold letters headlines in all the newspapers. Eve 2087 was her full name because it was the year two thousand eight hundred and eighty seven when a laboratory, using a monkey as a surrogate mother, created the girl.

A man was chosen for Eve. He was a twenty-one years old but willing to wait 14 years so Eve would be suitable for reproduction.

He waited patiently for sure, while everyone hoped it was a matter of time until women will again teem the planet. Thread busy, loud, crazy, beautiful, charming, sublime ... on the streets. Right?

No.

Although all were expecting the end of the calamity and the return of normalcy, nothing of that nature happened. Women continued to be chimeras. The hunting started for those who launched the rumor. Immense amounts of money from each government were promised to the researchers for the sole purpose and hope of the species preservation.

But in total secret, somewhere in a place unknown even to all those who saw it with their eyes, away from the madness and chaos that had taken over humanity, things were different.

 In the midst of an impenetrable jungle, in a small building with white walls, the magic laugh of women enchanted the tropical air. Since the birth of Eve, more than ten years passed, enough to reproduce exactly the genome. Researchers knew that the only way to avert disaster was to work quietly and to basically disappear.

Their work had reached the desired fruits. Now, living around were thirty-two women, none over fourteen years old. No one except Eve.

And actually, this is her story, the story of a girl who while seeking her freedom, gives birth to the most vehement war and controversy in human history.

Eve was an ordinary girl, but the circumstances leading to her birth made her unique.

In some ways she reached the peak of human evolution. But, strong or weak, caught between prize and anger, she brought back the unique gentleness of women and as a result EVERYONE loved and laughed again.
 



Tall Tales and Campfire Stories
Contest Winner

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. apelle All rights reserved.
apelle has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.