Romance Fiction posted June 3, 2012 Chapters:  ...67 68 -69- 70... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Will Anna be released from the hospital?

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

part five, Chapter 20

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?
Troy and Paul waited in Anna's room for her to return from the tests.

Paul ran his hands through his thinning gray hair. "I think before you answer Anna's question you should talk with the doctor."

"Is it normal not to remember what happened?"

"I'm guessing she has suppressed the memory." Troy moved the chair closer for his dad to use. "I wouldn't want to remember being beaten."

"I doubt the memory will be suppressed forever. I think it's best she deals with it."

"Maybe we can speak with the doctor together." Troy glanced toward the closed door when he heard voices and the sound of a bed being rolled across the floor. "I think she's returning."

Troy held the door open while the nurse pushed Anna's bed into its original position and hooked up the monitors.

When the nurse finished, Troy followed her into the hall. "I have a question for the doctor. Could you ask him to stop by when he has time?"

After she nodded she would, Troy returned to the room and stood beside his father. "I guess the tests wore her out. Did Mom say when she'd be here?"

"After lunch. She mentioned something about bringing you a picnic basket." Paul grinned. "I hope she puts brownies in it."

*****
Later that morning the doctor stepped in the room. "I see Mrs. Rodgers is still asleep. Did you have some questions?"

"Yes. Could we step into the hall?" Troy opened the door and allowed the doctor and Paul to walk through first.

Troy released a deep breath. "Early this morning Anna asked me what happened and why was she in the hospital. I guess she's blocked everything concerning her ex-husband holding her hostage and beating her. How should I answer her question? I know it's going to come up again."

"I'm sure I answered the question about why she's in the hospital. We talked while waiting between tests. Now comes the 'what happened' part. There's not a lot of scientific evidence that supports repressed memory. I would suggest keeping your answers as short as possible until she's strong enough to handle the truth."

Paul rubbed the back of his neck. "I figured as much. Thank you, doctor."

Troy and his dad watched the doctor walk away, then their eyes met.

"I guess we follow Anna's lead." Troy put his hand on the door. "We really don't have a choice, do we?"

"No, we don't. Maybe she'll forget she asked."

Troy's eyebrows rose. "Do you really believe that?"

"No, but I can hope."

The two men walked into Anna's room and waited for her to awaken.

*****
Early afternoon, Margaret entered the room carrying Michael. Betty carried a picnic basket.

Betty waved her hand for Paul to move from the chair. "Wait until you see what I brought for you two hungry souls." She set the basket in the chair and opened it. "All your favorites."

"Did you fry chicken and make potato salad? I bet there are fresh warm brownies!" Paul reached into the basket.

"Get out!" Betty laughed and swiped at his hand. "No, I have turkey and cheese pita bread sandwiches, potato salad, coleslaw, and yes there's fresh brownies."

Margaret smiled. "Don't forget the apple salad you're famous for."

The doctor walked in and shook his head. "I see this family can turn anything into a special event."

"Why don't you join us? My wife is an excellent cook and she always makes too much."

Betty handed the doctor a plate. "Help yourself. There's plenty."

While they ate, Anna awoke and smiled. "Can I have some of that?"

"You may have all the clear liquids you want." The doctor stood by the door. "I'll get the nurse to bring something in." He stepped out, then returned. "She'll be right in."

He walked closer to Anna. "I'm glad you're all here. Depending on Mrs. Rodgers' progress, I don't see any reason why she can't go home on Thursday or Friday. She would need somebody with her. I don't want her lifting her son or going up and down stairs. I'm adamant those restrictions are followed. I'll know more after all the test results are in."

"She's coming home with us." Betty glanced at Anna. "You are, right?"

"I think it's a fine idea." Paul nodded.

Anna smiled painfully and said, "I guess it's settled.




Recognized


Once again the Indian Blankets theme. I thought the butterfly was a good touch.

This post is part five of Chapter 20, a much longer chapter. It can not stand alone. If you are just joining me, welcome, but you may be confused because this post is part of a much longer novel. I am not sure if I have one or two chapters to go until I finish the novel. I am hoping now that I am on summer break that my posts will be longer.

The strength of the scientific evidence for repression depends on exactly how the term is defined. When defined narrowly as intentional suppression of an experience, there is little reason to doubt that it exists. But when we talk about a repression mechanism that operates unconsciously and defensively to block out traumatic experiences, the picture becomes considerably murkier.
http://www.skepdic.com/repressedmemory.html



Yesterday the kitten went for their second round of kitten shots. Monty weights 2 pounds 7 ounces and AJ 2 pounds 4 ounces. They cornered Diva the other day, we rescued them.

Thank you for reading and reviewing.

SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233
Each state has it's own hotline number.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.