Romance Fiction posted May 28, 2012 Chapters:  ...66 67 -68- 69... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anna sees her Indian Blankets.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

part four, Chapter 20

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?
Shortly after Anna's eyes closed again, Michael became fussy. Betty cuddled him. "I think it's time to take this little guy home. It's past his bedtime and he's had a full day." She leaned over and kissed Anna's cheek. "We'll return tomorrow, sweetheart."

Margaret patted her arm. "I'll help Betty with Michael."

As Betty opened the door, she glanced at Paul. "Are you staying again tonight?"

He put his hand on Troy's back. "I'll stay so you can get some rest."

"I'm not leaving until Anna's safe. You don't need to stay. Get some rest. I'll be fine." Troy pointed toward the chair. "It's almost comfortable." He grinned. "I'll see you all tomorrow."

Paul patted Anna's arm. "I'll be here first thing in the morning."

Troy watched his family leave, then called after them. "Mom, can you bring a decent breakfast? The hospital cafeteria's getting old already."

*****
Troy walked over to the window and raised the venetian blinds. Anna, you have your whole life ahead of you. You have to make a full recovery. I'm waiting with open arms. He heard and watched an ambulance pull into the emergency driveway. Another family will go through Hell, waiting on information. He lowered the blinds, turned toward Anna, and sighed.

After pulling his chair closer to the bed, Troy took her hand, lifted it to his lips, and kissed it. "I love you." He used his finger tips to caress her lips. "I'm sorry. I should've done a better job protecting you. I promise nobody will ever hurt you again."

Troy hung his head as moisture entered his eyes. He glanced at his hand holding Anna's. Did I just feel her hand move? Again, he felt her fingers move back and forth. "Anna?"

Her eyelids fluttered then opened. She stared at Troy. "It's you."

"Yes, it's me. You should've known I wouldn't leave you."

Her lips slightly curved up. Anna tilted her head, spying all the flowers and lifted her arm almost an inch. "You?"

"Yes, I thought you needed Indian Blankets." He laughed. "I guess I went overboard."

"No, perfect."

"I'd better tell the doctor." Troy stood.

"No." She paused. "Stay."

"All right." He sat.

A nurse peeked in. "I see she's awake. I'll notify the doctor."

Troy nodded in acknowledgment.

"Michael?" whispered Anna.

"He was here. It was past his bedtime so Mom took him home. They'll be back tomorrow."

She nodded then grimaced.

"Are you in pain?" He glanced toward the door. "I can get the nurse. She's just outside."

"No." Anna swallowed. "Drink."

Troy stood, reached for the water pitcher, and poured a glass. He adjusted the straw and offered it to her.

She sipped, paused, and sipped again. "Thank you." Her lids closed briefly, then reopened.

"Do you need to rest awhile? There's plenty of time for talking. I'm not going anywhere." He kissed her cheek.

After nodding, Anna closed her eyes.

Troy kissed her forehead and settled in his chair. She's improving.

The doctor entered. "How's our patient?"

"She's getting stronger. I think she's gone to sleep."

The doctor checked some readouts on the machines hooked to Anna. "I think you're right. I'll run some tests in the morning." He left.

Troy shifted into a more comfortable position and fell into a sporadic sleep pattern, waking every time he heard Anna groan.

*****
As early morning light shone through the cracks in the blinds, Troy awakened. He smiled when he saw Anna watching him.

"I see you're more alert than you were yesterday. Are you feeling any better?"

"What happened?" Anna swallowed. "Why am I here?"

Before Troy could answer, a gray-haired nurse came into the room. "Mrs. Rodgers needs some tests. She won't be back for a few hours. You might want to go home for a while."

Troy glanced at his watch. "I could use a shower. You said a few hours?"

"Yes sir, I did." She then smiled down at Anna. "Good morning, I'm Sarah. I'll be with you until you return to your room. You'll be pretty busy for the next few hours. The doctor has quite a few tests he wants done." With another smile, she pushed Anna's bed out of the room.

Troy heard Anna mumble something, but he didn't understand it. I guess I'll go home. I need to talk with Dad about how to answer Anna's last question. How much should I tell her?



Recognized


My husband took a photo of Indian Blankets in a field by our house. I wanted it for last weeks post. I finally have it. I hope you can see these beautiful flowers in Anna's hospital room.

This post is part four of Chapter 20, a much longer chapter. It can not stand alone. If you are just joining me, welcome, but you may be confused because this post is part of a much longer novel.


Many of you are asking about my 16 year old Diva. No she has not made up with the kittens, yet. I am really starting to worry about it.

Thank you for reading and reviewing.

SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233
Each state has it's own hotline number.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.