Biographical Non-Fiction posted April 26, 2012 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 14... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Things get worse.

A chapter in the book The English Assignment

The Devil Lives in Mastic

by keimosobie

I was still hitch hiking everyday back and forth to work. It was easier to get a ride in the morning. I might only have to walk two or three miles before I got a ride. On the way home I would walk for miles and miles sometimes six or seven. After working all day and walking seven miles in the ninety degree heat I would get pretty delirious.

I would try to make deals with God to get a ride. I got so desperate, as difficult as it is to admit it, I started asking Satan for a ride. I even started telling Satan I would give him my soul for a ride. Then I would usually say I was just kidding and say I would never do that. I didn't pay attention to the warnings I had been given. I couldn't think of anything else but getting a ride. Once a Pinto had pulled over and I ran to it. On the way I said to myself, just kidding. Then the pinto started to pull off without me.

I hated when people did that. People would scream out the window past you and scare you half to death, or they would pull over and wait till you ran up to them then pull up a little more, and they would eventually just take off and leave you. It was a terrible situation. I should have just given up the job and tried something more local.

Once I said," I would sell my soul to the next car that passed me if they gave me a ride." Well I didn't see any car pass me, but there was the Pinto pulled over and waiting. I ran up and hopped in. Off we went. I thanked him for the ride. I had walked almost all the way already and It was quick ride.

I asked,"Where are you heading." Thinking if he was going my way I could get closer to my home.

He said," Anywhere you want to go."

I remember looking at his feet as he pressed the pedals and they seemed a little odd like his feet weren't moving. Just his legs. Since he didn't tell me where he was headed and I needed to make a left and go about a mile and a half to my house,I just told him," Here's good", as he pulled over he said,"Okay Tim Lad." Which I thought was funny because I didn't remember telling him my name.

I got out and he pulled away and then I started to get a little apprehensive over what might have just happened. I kind thought in order for a person to sell his soul it had to be a clear barging. I just dismissed the whole thing not sure what had happened.

Soon after I got fired from my job in Westhampton. I couldn't find one. When I went to collect the unemployment, I kind of lied about when I was fired, so I could collect sooner. They caught me and I didn't get any unemployment for at least a month. I had no money and no food and I was in a bad spot. I got real sick too. I never went to the Dr. Cause I couldn't pay. I didn't realize they couldn't refuse to see you.

I think what saved me is I went to see a catholic Priest. I told him what happened while I was hitch hiking and he told me if I had sold my soul I would Know. I made a full confession and I could feel my sin just wash away from me. I got some antibiotics from a friend and I got better. Well that was the end of my experience with Devil in Mastic. For a little while at least.

Every now and then I get anxious about it and this is a poem I wrote during one of those times. It's called, "If I Lose".

Against Iron bars my soul does rage.
The world that surrounds me is my cage.
And my pen is pressing me against this page.
My time bleeds away as I age.

My voice can lend no longer to song.
The space grows smaller where I belong.
Condemned for eternity for what I've done wrong.
I turn to face the angry throng.

I ask them to show me what I've done?
To show me where, it has begun.
When life was easy? When I was young?
Before, by the devil I had been stung.

I beg you for pardon for what's to come.
I pray to God in a relentless hum.
Mercy, mercy, mercy, some.
My hopes are done, my body numb.

As I stand before the fiery pit.
In the devils face I will spit.
If this is the end of it?
Then it's in hell I will sit.




Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. keimosobie All rights reserved.
keimosobie has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.