Biographical Non-Fiction posted March 19, 2012 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Fun turns to disaster.

A chapter in the book The English Assignment

The family barbecue part B

by keimosobie

I don't think I mentioned that my dad was a construction boss. Some of his men decided to do some work on that Saturday, and they showed up at our house at the party. They knocked at the door. I answered it. There they were sweaty and grimy from a long hot day banging nails on a roof.

"What can I do for you guys?" I was always polite. They had come by the day before to get paid, but they arrived late, and dad had left before he could pay them. He always paid his guys in cash.

"We want to get paid," they said.

"Now's not a good time." I said. It was late afternoon and my dad was blind drunk and having a good time with all his family and friends.

"Please just tell him we want to get paid." I knew my dad and instinctively I knew this wasn't a good idea.

"Just come back tomorrow," I said.

"Look just go tell your dad we want our money."

They at least knew enough not to approach him directly. So I did my best to intervene without placing myself in harm's way.

Dad was sitting on the back deck looking a little weather beaten from the hot sun and alcohol. Drink in hand smile on his face. Friends and family scattered about. Everyone having a good time.

"Dad!", I shouted over the music and the loud tone of people.

"What?"

"Two of your guys from work are here and they are looking to get paid."

"Invite them in. Tell them they are welcome to the party but I an't working right now."

I said to them," Dad said you are welcome to come in and have fun at the party but Dad's not working right now.'

Instead of just coming in and having a drink, and giving my dad a little respect, one of them said, "We worked hard for our money and we want it now."

There would be no reasoning with them. I could see this was going to end badly.
I was not drunk or crazy like these fellers seemed to be. I went back to Dad for the second time.

"Dad, they just want to get paid and they don't seem to want to take no for an answer."

"Okay send them back here and I will talk to them." he said.

Well I went back to the door.

"You sure you want to do this? Dad said I can bring you guys to him."

One of the guys had some sense and said forget it. He walked away.
My Dad probably thought they wouldn't have the balls to come back and disturb him. My Dad is all about respect and this was disrespectful.

I brought him to face my dad. I was surprised my dad was pretty polite. Put his arm around the guys neck and pulled him close like he was his best friend.

"Why don't you come in and join the party. It's a nice day. There's plenty of food, lots to drink?"

"No Bill, I just want to get paid, I got to go."

"Did I do something wrong to you?" he asked, and he tightened his elbow around the guy's neck.

I could see the guy start to squirm a little. "No, it's not like like that Bill. I just want to get paid and go home."

"I'm a good boss, I don't ask too much." The guy was trying to squirm out of his tightening grip. "Can you explain to me how you think it's okay to come to my house and disrespect me."

"No. No. It's not like that Bill, you are making a big deal out of nothing."

"You come to my fuck'n house while my friends and my family are here and you insult me by not accepting my invitation into my party, and then demand that I give you money."

I could hear the guy trying to reason with him. "Hold on a second Bill, just hold on."

When I said my dad was as strong as Mike Tyson, I wasn't kidding. The poor guy was in a panic. Dad just kept escalating louder, and louder, and finally he threw a round house that hit the guy in the jaw and shattered it into a million pieces. He melted to the ground like he was made of jelly. Out cold for longer than a ten count I can tell you that. I was quickly ushered somewhere else, and the cops soon arrived.

Dad asked," Not in front of my family please." Yes they took him away. Felony assault, not the first one either. Oh well. Party wasn't much fun after that. I guess it's not the only party to have ended like that, but it was my first.





Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. keimosobie All rights reserved.
keimosobie has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.