Romance Fiction posted February 26, 2012 Chapters:  ...52 53 -54- 55... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anna discovers who drives the white truck.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

part 1 Chapter 17

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Anna twisted the office window blinds' rope until they were slightly opened. She glanced across the street and noticed a beggar wearing a tattered military jacket. His pants were ragged. The sign he held read, 'Homeless crippled vet.' Anna saw Troy walk toward him and hand him something. She tried to see what Troy gave him, but couldn't. I bet Troy gave him money. It's just like him to help that poor man. Most people would ignore him or run him off.

She searched up and down the street for Sam. I know he's out there, but where? I guess that's what a PI does on surveillance. He stays out of sight. She glanced at her watch and sighed. It's already 10:30 and I haven't accomplished anything this morning. Maybe I'd better call Troy and tell him I need to work through lunch. Anna sat at her desk and tapped her pen. I wonder if Everett found out who owns the truck with the loud muffler.

Mr. Keller stood in her doorway and knocked on the frame. When Anna turned, he asked, "Do you have a few minutes? I need to introduce this advertisement to the car company's manager at one o'clock, and I'm not sure it works."

"Of course." She pushed a few files aside. After studying the layout, she glanced toward her boss. "I'm not sure the wording's correct. It's not catchy. What do you think?"

"Maybe that's the problem. I couldn't put my finger on it."

Anna changed some words and then worked on the design. "How's that?"

"Better. I'll finish getting the presentation ready. Thanks." A grin erupted when he glanced at his cell phone. "Good, I still have plenty of time."

With a smile, she watched Mr. Keller leave her office. He's been so patient. I'm lucky he's my boss or I would've been fired by now.

It wasn't long before Ginger knocked on Anna's door. "Your lunch date's here. Should I send him back?" She smiled and turned toward the lobby.

"Yes." Anna studied her watch. "It's only 11:38"

Anna stood and smiled as Troy walked toward her. "I'm happy to see you, but you're early. Is something wrong?"

"Not really." His eyes met hers. "Everett found the owner of the truck; a Billy Joe Stuart. He's about your age."

"I don't know him." She shook her head. "Do you have a picture? Maybe I'd recognize him if I saw him."

Troy used his cell and called Everett. "The name didn't sound familiar. Do you think you could come up with a photograph?" He paused, while he listened. "Sounds good." He closed the phone.

"He'll take his picture. Maybe that'll help." Troy put his hand on Anna's arm. "How about an early lunch?"

"Let me check with Mr. Keller." Anna walked to her boss's office.

*****
While Troy and Anna walked down the sidewalk, Anna kept turning and looking behind her.

"What are you doing?" asked Troy as he turned around.

"I'm searching for Sam, but he's nowhere in sight."

"That's the idea. Nobody's supposed to know he's guarding you." Troy chuckled.

Anna quickly stopped at a small cafe. "This place is supposed to have the best cheeseburgers in town. Let's eat here."

"It's fine with me, but I thought you preferred salads."

"I don't want Sam to go hungry." She tilted her head and noticed the homeless vet stumbled and almost fell. "Oh no! Troy, can we get an extra cheeseburger for that poor man?" She pointed.

"Come on." As Troy shook his head, he placed his hand on the small of her back and led her to a table. "All right, but you're incorrigible." He grinned. "But in a good way."

Just as the couple placed their order, Everett walked up to the table. "I hope this helps." He set a photograph of Billy Joe Stuart in front of Anna.

She lifted it up, then placed her hand over her mouth. "That's Slim. I never knew his real name. He's a close friend of Bobby's cousin, but he's supposed to be in jail on an armed robbery charge!" As tears rolled down her cheeks, she released a deep breath. "He's dangerous." She clutched her stomach.



Recognized


Thank you Brian for allowing me to use your artwork to show the struggles Anna has breaking the chains of abuse.
This post is the first part of Chapter 17, a much longer chapter and can not stand alone.

Thank you for reading and reviewing.

SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233
Each state has it's own hotline number.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.