Romance Fiction posted February 19, 2012 Chapters:  ...51 52 -53- 54... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anna talks with the police.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

part 4, Chapter 16

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?
Troy removed his cell phone. "I'll call Dad and have him give Everett the information. This guy needs to be stopped."

Anna sat in the rocking chair and held Michael close. She watched Troy pace as he explained the events to Paul. Her eyes widened when she heard Troy say, "I think I'd better spend the night. Anna's not safe by herself." She drew Michael tighter and gulped at the next sentence, "I won't allow her to be alone. Do you have a better option?"

After a few moments, Troy put his phone in his pocket, walked over to Anna, and ruffled Michael's hair. "I'll stay until Everett arrives. He'll spend the night on your couch."

"It's not necessary. My couch isn't very comfortable."

"I'm sure he's stayed in worse places." Troy chuckled. "He's retired Special Forces."

"I thought he used to be with the police department."

"He entered the police department after the Army. He left because he was set up. By the time his name was cleared, his PI business was going strong."

Troy was interrupted by a knock on the door. "It's probably the police." He walked over and answered it.

*****
The police officer took their statements but said, "There's really nothing I can do at this time. The man could have accidently bumped you."

"A man who accidently runs into a mother and child doesn't run away." Troy rubbed the back of his neck. "When I accidently bump somebody, I say I'm sorry and make sure the person isn't hurt. I don't run away." He glared at the officer. "I have his license plate number."

"I'll start a file, and if anything else happens I'll come back. Please don't hesitate to call." The officer slipped his notepad in his pocket.

"Earlier this evening air was let out of my tire and a threatening note was left on my windshield. An officer came and took my statement. There's got to be something you can do." She adjusted Michael on her lap.

"Ma'am, are you sure it's the same person?"

"I believe it is."

"We need more evidence before we can do anything." He put his hand on the door knob. "Good night."

As the door shut behind the officer, Anna sighed. "Well, that was a waste of time. I should've known nothing would be done." She stood and turned toward the bedroom. "I need to change Michael and put him to bed."

When Anna didn't return, Troy stepped inside the room. "What's going on?"

She turned toward him with tears streaming down her cheeks. "Does your dad do wills? Bobbie isn't going to stop until I'm dead, and the police won't do anything until he kills me. I'm worried about Michael. Would your parents raise him?"

"I'm sure they'd be honored, but I'm not going to let it get to that point. I'm sure Dad and Everett would agree." He put his arms around her and drew her closer. "Anna, you need to keep faith that this is going to work out. Remember, Bobby's in jail."

Troy released hold of Anna when Michael cried. "I'm sure you want your mommy to rock you, don't you?"

As they walked into the living room, there was a knock on the door. Troy chuckled. "Go ahead and rock Michael." He opened it and said, "Hi, Everett."

"I want you to meet Sam Jennings. He's worked for me about three years now. We'll take turns watching Anna. I'll take the night shift and Sam can have the day shift."

Anna slowly rose to her feet. "Really, all of this isn't necessary."

"Finish putting your son to sleep. We'll step outside and talk so we don't disturb him." Troy motioned for the two men to come outside with him.

*****
After Michael had fallen asleep and Anna had put him in his bed, she opened the door. "It's safe now. He's zonked out."

Everett reintroduced Sam to Anna. They exchanged small talk, then Sam said, "I'll see you tomorrow morning."

"Will you be with me all day, sitting in my office?"

"Sam, go ahead and spend some time with your family. I'll answer Anna's questions. See you in the morning."

After Sam left, Everett motioned toward the living room. "Let's have a seat, then I'll answer your questions." They sat, and he began, "Sam will return tomorrow morning just before you go to work. He'll follow you to the office, but stay outside. Nobody, but you, Troy, Paul, and Betty will know he's watching you. Whenever you leave work, he'll follow. I'm going to have a man watch the daycare too."

"Is this really necessary?" Anna chewed on her lower lip.

"You were upset earlier about Bobby not stopping until you were dead." Troy's eyes met hers. "This is how we're going to ensure that doesn't happen."

Anna glanced at the davenport. "I'll get some pillows and blankets. I'm afraid it won't be very comfortable. I wish I had a spare bedroom."

"I wouldn't use it anyway. I need to be close to the only door." He opened a black bag and took out some equipment. "Before you go to bed, I want to place these sensors on your bedroom windows. Nobody will get in without me knowing. I'll put one on Michael's window too."

Troy yawned. "You're in safe hands, so I'm heading home. I have an early day tomorrow."

Anna walked him to the door. "Good night and thank you for everything."

"I'll come by your office and take you to lunch. Decide where you want to go. Good night."

"Maybe I should ask Sam where he wants to eat." She laughed.

"Big thick cheeseburgers are his favorite." Everett chuckled. "Troy, I'll work on that license plate number tomorrow."



Recognized


SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233
Each state has it's own hotline number.

Thank you, Brian for letting me use the Indian Blanket with a chain around it to show Anna's fight for freedom. Thank you for reading and reviewing. This is the final post of chapter 16. It cannot stand alone and is part of a much longer chapter and novel.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.