Romance Fiction posted February 5, 2012 Chapters:  ...49 50 -51- 52... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Paull arrives to help Anna.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

part 2, Chapter 16

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?
It wasn't long before Paul tapped on Anna's window. She opened the door. "I'm sorry you had to come out here."

"I'm glad you called. This isn't a safe place for you."

Anna glanced around Paul toward his car. Where's Troy?

"Troy called from work just before I left and said he'd be a little late." Paul smiled.

"Oh." Anna studied her feet for a moment, then leaned over the hood of the car and removed the paper. "Somebody left this." She unfolded it and read out loud, "Next time I'll do more than let air out of your tire. I can get to you anywhere." The sound of a loud muffler caused her to move closer to Paul.

Paul wrapped his arms around her. "I'll notify the police. You've been threatened twice now."

They both turned as headlights came closer. "It must be help for your tire. Let me have the keys. After they repair the tire, they'll bring the car to my house."

Anna handed them to Paul. "I'll wait inside your car."

Paul dealt with the mechanics and called the police, before he knocked on the window. "The police will be here in a few minutes. They'll have some questions."

*****
After Anna gave the police her statement, Paul sat behind the steering wheel and turned the key. "I'm sure Betty has a good dinner waiting. I'm hungry. How about you?"


"When is this going to stop? When will I have a normal life?"

"I can't answer that. I honestly thought it would be over by now."

Silence filled the car as Paul drove home.

When Paul and Anna entered the Sorenson house, Paul said, "Troy's car's parked out front. I bet he's in the kitchen. Tell Betty I'll be right there. I need to call Everett."

Anna nodded. "Thank you, again." She walked toward the kitchen.

*****
"Mom, I thought I'd dealt with my past. This mess with Anna has brought it up again. I'm having nightmares of that bastard beating my mom. I swear I saw him walking down the street the other day."

Troy took a drink of ice tea. "I woke up last night in a cold sweat. It felt as if the beating just happened. I could feel me grab his arm to stop him and then he struck me in the face with his fist."

"Maybe you need to see Dr. Murphy again." Betty touched her son's arm.

"I thought he only worked with abused children. I don't think I qualify."

"You don't, but he may be able to direct you to the right place to get help."

Tears rolled down Anna's cheeks as she listened to Troy and Betty's conversation. "My problems are ruining everybody's life."

Troy went to her and put his arms around her. "I have my demons. I thought with the help of counseling I'd put them behind me. They've resurfaced." His lips brushed her forehead. "We'll get through this together."

Betty joined in the hug. "I'll help."

Paul walked in the room. "I'm not joining this group hug." He glanced around the room. "I know Margaret isn't far with that sketch pad of hers. What are you hugging about?"

The hug broke up as Betty gave him a quick run-down of the events leading up to the hug.

He squeezed Anna's shoulders. "Count me in."

An oven timer sounded. Betty turned toward the noise. "I hope you're hungry. The biscuits are done. Have a seat in the dining room and I'll bring in the food. The table's set."

While they waited, Paul told Troy about the flat tire and the note left on Anna's car.

Betty entered and after prayer they passed the food.

Anna glanced between Paul and Troy. "Troy, why did your dad call today during lunch?"

"It's seems my medical records showed up on the Internet today."





Recognized


SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233
Each state has it's own hotline number.

Thank you Brian for allowing me to use your artwork to show Anna's fight to release the chains of abuse.

This post is part of a larger chapter and is not meant to stand alone. Thank you for reading and reviewing.







Betty is Troy's adoptive mother. The mother getting beaten died from spousal abuse that Troy witnessed. This was established at the beginning of the novel.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.