Romance Fiction posted January 15, 2012 Chapters:  ...46 47 -48- 49... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anna and Troy get closer.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part two, Chapter 15

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?
At the breakfast table, Anna bit into her toast just as the local church began it's recorded bells. "Yesterday, we only got the laundry done and that's not put away. I guess I'd better finish it as soon as we're dressed. Troy said he'd be by sometime late morning. Should we clean house or go to the grocery store? You choose."

Michael threw his tippy cup to the floor, watched it fall, and giggled.

"That's not a good trick." She picked it up and set it on the table.

Michael reached for it.

"Little man, you're just out of luck. You can't throw things to the floor." She picked up her plate and silverware. "We'd better get dressed and clean house. We'll go to the store after Troy leaves. I'm sure he won't be here long. It only takes a few minutes to hang a picture."

*****
Michael played on the bedroom floor while Anna put the laundry away. When she finished, he was ready for his morning nap. Anna rocked him until he fell asleep. Once he was safely inside his crib, Anna continued with the apartment cleaning chores.

Just after she mopped the kitchen floor, the intercom buzzed. She pressed the button. "Yes?"

"Good morning, sunshine. Would you buzz me through?"

"Good morning to you. The gate should be rising. See you in a few minutes."

Anna put the mop and bucket in a closet, then stood by the door.

Moments later the bell rang. As she opened the door, Michael cried out. "Come in. Michael's up from his nap. Make yourself at home." She rushed off.

Troy laughed. "I'm happy to see you too." He followed her into the child's room.

The young mother grabbed a diaper and leaned over the crib. "I need to change him. Are you sure you want to be in here for this." She lifted the baby and took him to the changing table.

"I think I can handle a wet diaper."

"What if it's more than wet?" She laughed as she removed his pants and began unfastening the diaper.

"That may be another story."

"You're in luck. It's only wet. Your machismo is still intact."

Troy laughed. "Good to hear."

As Anna replaced Michael's pants, Troy rubbed his head. "Good morning, sleepy head. I thought you were an early riser."

"He is. He was up around 5:30."

"Dad takes a few naps throughout the day too. I see these two have a lot in common, besides not having a lot of hair." He chuckled. "Have you made a decision where to hang the painting?"

"I think the wall across from the rocking chair, so I can enjoy it while I'm rocking Michael."

"Good choice."

Troy followed Anna and Michael into the living room. She set Michael on the floor and picked up the artwork. "Your aunt captured Michael's innocence."

"She does good work." He took the painting from her and picked up the tools. "Do you have any plans for today?"

"I need to get groceries.

With the hammer, Troy tapped the anchor into the wall. "Before I left home, I called Mom. Why don't we go to the park for lunch, take Michael to my parents', get groceries, bring them back here, then go to dinner and a movie?"

"That's a very busy schedule."

Troy hung the painting and then turned toward her. "Are you up for it?"

"It would be nice doing something just for fun. Your parents won't mind babysitting?"

He scratched his head. "My parents? Don't be silly. Haven't you noticed how much they spoil their grandson?"

"Okay, you're right. Let me pack a few things in his diaper bag." She turned toward the bedroom. "Michael will enjoy the park. Should I pack a picnic lunch?" she asked from the bedroom

The child crawled toward his mother.

Troy set him upright on his feet. "You didn't have anything to pull yourself up on, did you? There you go. Walking will get you there faster." Holding the child's hand, he followed Anna.

*****
After they stopped by a sandwich shop, they found an area at the park close to a baby swing. Troy carried Michael to the swing, securely fastened it, and gave it a slight push. "I think he likes it."

"I'm sure he does. He loves the one your mom bought."

"Thank you for sharing him with my parents. They really enjoy this little guy." He pushed it again.

"Michael doesn't have any grandparents who care about him. I'm glad they want to be part of his life."

Anna jumped and turned her head at the sound of a loud muffler.

Troy put his arm around her. "Anna, I'm sure it's nothing."

"Was your dad able to get a trace on the phone call the other night?"

"Not really. It was a disposable phone. He asked Everett to keep a tap on your phone, just in case another call comes in."

Anna released a deep breath. "You're right. I'm being childish. I'm sure there's a lot of cars and trucks with loud mufflers."

After giving the swing another push, Troy's eyes met Anna's. "Have you considered going back to the support group?"

"I've already asked your mom to pick up Michael from Day Care tomorrow evening, so I can attend the meeting."

"Do you want me to take you?"

She shook her head. "Thank you, but this is something I need to do on my own."

"I'll meet you at Mom's for dinner."

Michael started fussing.

"I think he's hungry." Anna began to unfasten him and lifted him up. She jerked around at the sound of a muffler. "I refuse to let it destroy my day." She carried her son to the cement picnic table.

"While you get his food ready, I'll hold him."

"I should have brought his stroller and used it as a high chair."

"I can hold him while you feed him. Then we'll eat."

*****
The afternoon went as scheduled. Anna and Troy dropped Michael off with Paul and Betty, then they went to the store. The groceries were put away and Troy held the car door open for Anna. "Do you feel like Italian, Mexican, or American?"

"Surprise me."

"It's okay for you to have a preference. I'm honestly asking for your opinion."

Anna sat in the passenger seat and stared at the dashboard.

"You weren't allowed to make any decisions, were you?"

She shook her head.

"That's going to change right now. You are going to choose where we eat tonight and what movie we see."

"But?"

Troy shut the car door.

Anna watched him walk around the car. Now, what do I do?

After he sat behind the steering wheel, Anna whispered, "What are my choices?"

"Whatever this town has to offer."

She chewed on her lower lip. "I think I like Italian."

"Italian it is."

*****
As Anna and Troy left the movie theater, Troy's cell phone rang. He listened for a few minutes, then smiled at Anna. "It seems all the fresh air this afternoon wore Michael out. Mom put him to bed. She's suggesting you let him sleep. She's watching him tomorrow evening, he can just stay all day. What do you say?"

"I guess it's okay if she doesn't mind."

Troy relayed the information to his mom and then put his phone
away. "Since we have extra time, would you like to take a walk or something?"

"A walk would be good. I'm still stuffed from dinner."

"So you like Italian?"

"I definitely like Italian."

The sound of a loud muffler caused Anna to grab Troy's arm. "I'm sorry," she mumbled and removed her hand.

"You can hold my arm anytime, but I don't think you have anything to worry about."

"I hope you're right."

*****
At Anna's apartment, Troy walked her to the door. He stepped inside the apartment and scanned the area. "The painting looks good on that wall, doesn't it?"

"It does." Anna sighed. "It's quiet without Michael."

"Will you be all right? I can take you to Mom and Dad's. You can stay with them, too."

"That would be silly, wouldn't it?"

"It wouldn't be silly, if that's what you want."

"I'll be fine by myself, but thank you for the offer."

Troy hesitated. "I guess I'd better go then." He turned toward the door.

Anna followed.

At the door, their eyes met and silence followed.

Anna blew out a deep breath and searched his eyes. "Well, are you going to kiss me, or not?"



Recognized


Again, I want to thank Brian, my husband for letting me use his artwork to show Anna's attempt to break the chains of abuse.

I have about 60 pages left of this novel. This post is still setting up the climax which will happen over a period of time. I appreciate you sticking with me and for your kind reviews. Please understand that I am trying to make this as realistic as possible and it takes a woman a very long time to build her self-esteem after an abusive relationship and to be able to trust another man.

SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233
Each state has it's own hotline number.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.