Romance Fiction posted January 8, 2012 Chapters:  ...45 46 -47- 48... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anna gets a painting.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part one, Chapter 15

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?
CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Betty answered the ringing doorbell. "Hi, come in. You're just in time. Michael took his first steps a few minutes ago."

The two women stood just inside the living room, as Paul, Troy, and Anna greeted Margaret.

Paul walked toward his sister-in-law and reached out his hand, taking a large package from Margaret. "What's this?"

"I can't wait to show you." She glanced at Betty and they both giggled.

Troy kissed his aunt's cheek. "What have you and Mom been up to?"

Paul opened the large bag and lifted out an eighteen by twenty-four inches oil painting. As he stared at it, his eyes widened. "When did you do this?"

"While Anna and Michael where staying here, Betty and I had coffee. You and your little buddy were napping in the recliner, so I took out my sketch pad and pencil. Here's the end result. What do you think?"

Betty stood beside Paul and stared at it. "I love it. Where should we hang it?"

Troy chuckled. "I think over Dad's recliner would be perfect. Let me hang it for you." He took the artwork.

"It's a good painting, but I don't think it belongs in a formal living room. How about my den?" Paul walked toward the hall.

"When has our living room ever been formal? We aren't formal people." Troy set the painting down, moved the recliner, then he held the artwork against the wall. "Mom, what do you think?" He glanced toward Anna. "You've been awfully quiet."

"I know Michael was the model, but I'm surprised at how much that child looks like him. It's very good."

Betty's hand covered her mouth. "Anna, would you like this painting? Here we are arguing over the proper spot for it and you have plenty of wall spaces it would fit."

Margaret took the painting from Troy. "Betty's right. Anna, please this is your painting."

"It's settled. Before I leave your apartment tonight, I'll help you hang it." Troy winked at Anna.

Margaret gently placed her hand over the bandages on Troy's right arm. "What happened this time?"

Betty sat in her rocking chair. "Let's have a seat while Troy explains the reason for his latest trip to ER."

As Troy came to the end of his dog bite incident, Michael began rubbing his eyes and fussing.

"I'm sorry. Michael's getting sleepy. I'd better get him home." Anna stood, holding her son.

"Dad, I'm borrowing a screwdriver and a couple of wall anchors." He left the room.

"I'm not surprised Troy came to Michael's rescue. He's always been such a caring soul. Remember the time ...."

Troy stepped beside his aunt. "You can go down memory lane on our next visit. Michael's falling asleep as we speak."

"Did you find what you needed?" Paul stood.

Troy held up what he'd borrowed. "Yep. Anna, let me carry Michael. I think he grew while we were here."

As he took the child, Margaret smiled. "Troy will go out of his way to help people."

He kissed her cheek. "You're my favorite aunt."

"I'm your only living aunt." She smiled. "Bye kids. I'll see you next week for Sunday dinner."

Anna's eyebrows rose as she glanced at Troy.

"I think we're coming to Sunday dinner, don't you?" He laughed as he kissed his mom's cheek and said good-bye to his dad.

After Michael was safely in his car seat, Anna hugged Margaret, Betty, and Paul as she said her good-byes.

*****
After Troy carried Michael inside Anna's apartment and put him in the crib, he stood in the middle of the living room and held the painting. "Where do you want to hang this?"

Anna turned circles as she searched for the proper placement. She tilted her head and walked to the wall behind the rocking chair. "How about here? What do you think?"

"It's your apartment. It goes where ever you want it." He walked toward the wall.

"No, wait, maybe over here is better." She stood beside the adjacent wall. "I'm not sure. What do you suggest?"

"My dear, your apartment, your painting. It's entirely your decision." He grinned and ran his fingers through his short brown hair.

Anna plopped down on the davenport. "I don't know. I've never hung a painting before. What if I choose wrong?"

"If you change your mind, I'll rehang it. It's not hard to do."

"Can I think about it?"

"I'll come back tomorrow and hang it for you."

"You don't need to do that. I'm sure you're busy."

"I have nothing I'd rather do than hang your painting."

"Really?"

"Really." He scanned the room, then turned toward the door. "I'd better head for home. I'll come by late morning. Is that all right? I'm guessing Michael is an early riser."

"He is. At the crack of dawn, he's ready for breakfast."

"My kind of guy."

At the door, the couple stood in silence as their eyes met.

Troy broke the silence. "I guess I'd better leave."

"I guess so."

After Anna watched Troy open the door and leave, she locked it. Bye. She walked to the window, stood to the side, watched him get in the car, back from the parking slot, and drive out of sight. She continued to stare until she heard the rumble of a loud muffler. After searching out the window for the vehicle, she turned and sighed. I'll never live in peace. Bobby haunts me from jail.

She sat in the rocking chair, held the painting, and stared at it. "Margaret, you perfectly captured the innocent expression on Michael's face. I've seen it so often. He's cuddled into Paul just like he belongs there. This is precious. Too bad, it's not real."

She wiped a tear from her cheek as she set the painting on the floor. Troy helps me like he does everybody in need. I'm sure he thinks of me no differently than he would an orphaned kitten or puppy. I'm probably nothing more than his pet project for this month.




Recognized


I want to thank my husband, Brian or brwartwork for attempting my Indian Blanket with chains to represent Anna and the chains of spousal abuse she's trying to escape.

Thank you for reading and your reviews. My muse is being a pain in the butt. It's wanting me to start a new novel with New Orleans as the setting. I've only been there twice. Besides I tend to be a perfectionist and HAVE to finish Anna before I tackle anything else. When I don't listen to her, she keeps me up nights pleading her case. Would somebody like to take a muse off my hands? She's going really cheap, right now. LOL

SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233
Each state has it's own hotline number.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.