General Poetry posted December 23, 2011


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A poem about my father

My dad

by p3rry69

This is a story of a man, a story true but sad, and I for one, am sure of that becuase that man's my dad.
He had a sense of humor, but he was also stern, and everything he ever had I know that is was earned.
He never had self pity or ran away and hid, instead had self respect and pride in everything he did.
He raised a larger family than most men care to try, though it was pretty rough at times, he always got us by.
He wanted us to have the best as any father would , and though he didn't have much, he gave us all he could.
He spent his whole life working and then could hardly wait, to hear at least just one of us to say we'd graduate.
But he was disappointed by nine of us it seems, I'm sad to know that I'm one of them to spoil his only dream.
But it was all forgotten and we went our separate ways, I know we made him proud of us in other little ways.
And then the years kept passing with times both good and bad , when suddenly we realized the sudden change in dad.
Too soon his days grew shorter , it was there for us to see, I wouldn't let myself believe some day he'd never be.
And then as he grew weaker and he could not pretend, he tried to hide his pain from us until the very end.
And then it all was over and he was laid to rest, I tied to make myself believe that it was for the best.
And now I have a prayer for him, Oh please God, let him hear, let him know how much he's missed and how we love him dear.
Let him know the memories that he has left behind, and let him know that we all think he's the best dad we could find.



5-7-5 Poetry contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. p3rry69 All rights reserved.
p3rry69 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.