Children Fiction posted November 19, 2011 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The ball and how it ended

A chapter in the book The dragon Mareng

The graduation ball and the end

by robina1978



Background
Mareng and Mara are now dragon teenagers. The grew up together and have just finished college.
The evening of the ball, Mareng went to pick Mara up at her house. His parents drove him there and then the pair of them to the ball. Mara's parents would collect them again. This way Mareng and Mara could have a drink if they wanted one, this would be their first. The ball started at 8 pm and would finish at about 1 am. It was held at the gymnastic hall of the college.

Mareng and Mara had not seen what the other would be wearing before they saw each other on the evening itself.

Mareng:"You look so lovely, I really like your dress. I never even thought you could look so beautiful."

"You don't look bad yourself, The colour of your shirt kind of matches my evening dress. I really like it, it really makes us look like a couple, don't you think."

"I wonder what the other students will think of us. And I am so curious how they will be dressed."

"Yes, I wonder about these things as well. We will soon find out."

"It is also so nice that our parents take us and collect us again. Do you think this is a proper occasion to have our first drink?"

"The occasion justifies it. But I really don't know if I will like alcohol at all."

"There is only one way to find out: Try it and see what we think."

When they arrived at the college, many were already there and many more were still arriving. All were dressed in evening dresses and suits. Students as well as teachers.
Mareng and Mara got out of the car and said bye to Mareng's parents.
"Have fun both of you. Be careful with the amount of alcohol you take. It is your first time and it might effect you more. If it has too much effect, you might lose control over your flames and how you behave yourself in general."

In chorus: "Thanks, and we will be careful."

They entered the hall. It was full, but not too full. There were tables and chairs to sit down and a big empty space in the middle for the dancing. They chose a table near the back, so they could see what was happening. A few friends joined their table.

"Mara, can I get you a drink?"

"Yes please, but what shall I take?"

"I will go up there and try to get us something that I think we will both like."

Mareng picked a drink that tasted a bit like lemonade.

"Cheers Mara, to us."

"Yes, to us."

"Hmmm, this tastes really nice, don't you think?"

"Yes, I think so too. But let's drink it slowly like we were told."

The music had started now. They were asked by the mentor to start off the dance.
So they did. Soon most others joined them on the dance-floor. At the start the music was fast and they danced wildly, but controlled- often not holding each other. As the evening progressed the music became slower. They danced real close now, cheek to cheek. They each got a funny feeling that was so different from just being friends. They liked it and it scared them somewhat. They did not even discuss it together. Dancing the whole evening and a few sips of their drink in between.

Before they knew it, the evening was over. The light was dimmed to signal the evening was closing. That gave time for one last dance- at least for that evening. Mara's parents took the pair home.

A few days later, when they were walking the dogs, Mareng asked Mara:
"Did you also feel different when we were dancing?"

"Yes, I did. It was nice. Is that possibly how being in love feels?"

"Well, maybe. I liked it. But I never ever want it to spoil our friendship."

"Neither do I! But maybe it is possible to stay friends and still fall in love."

"It would be good to have both."

A letter arrived soon telling them that they had both been admitted to the same university. Mareng at the medical department and Mara at the veterinarian department. It was not far from their homes. So they would be able to travel there and back on a daily base.

In their period at university, they started dating. They took it slowly. But their love grew steadily.

After some years they decided to get engaged. It was better to wait with marriage till they both qualified and earned some money, so they could set up home together.

This is how it ends. They got married and were able to have their own house. The dogs moved to their house with them as they belonged together as well.
Mareng's and Mara's parents offered to babysit the dogs, when they were at work. And later not just the dogs but 2 gorgeous dragon grandchildren.

They all lived happily ever after.









Written in UK English. Don't be hard on faults as I am foreign. Tips are appreciated. Please no low ratings, then just skip it.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by helvi2 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. robina1978 All rights reserved.
robina1978 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.