Children Fiction posted November 12, 2011 Chapters:  ...10 11 -12- 13 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Lots and at the end the graduation ball near

A chapter in the book The dragon Mareng

Last years at college

by robina1978



Background
Nicci came in heat and both dogs were operated so they couldn't have puppies. Made the pair wonder a bit about themselves.
There is not much more to tell about Mareng and Mara at college. You all know they were doing very well and they keep on doing so. They have never failed a paper and progressed as quickly as possible. They liked college and most things they learned there. Their classes towards the end became slightly smaller,although not by much, as some of their palls failed a class.

So this will be more about their spare time.

When they were sixteen they were told by their parents that they could do some work in their spare time and during the holidays.

Mareng's Mum and Dad:
"Mareng, you know you are legally allowed to work for money now, don't you?"

"Yes, of course, I know some teenagers in my class are already doing some work at different places. They earn money doing this. I would love to get my paws on some money as well and I will work hard for it."

"Do you know what you would like to do? You can choose whatever you want, as long as college does not suffer from it."

"I have been thinking about it and think I would like to do something that would give me some experience for the study I later want to do. I still want to become a Doctor, you know."

"Well, perhaps the local hospital could use an auxiliary nurse. You can either write an application letter or even better try to make an appointment with somebody at the personnel department."

"I think I will go there as soon after my birthday as possible. Will you allow me to keep my wages?"

"That is a good idea. And yes, you are allowed to keep the money. We can't afford to give you pocket money as you know. But this money will be all yours. Don't waste it though and try to use it wisely. We trust you will do that anyway. The best thing is to save some and to keep some for things you like to buy."

The next week Mareng went to the hospital and got the job he fancied straight away. He would earn 7,50 dollars an hour. He would work Saturday and one evening a week and most of the holidays. They had told him he had to do some cleaning, was allowed to put patients on and off the toilet, make beds and sometimes assist a registered nurse when asked and under her supervision. He was to start next week.

When he arrived back home he told his parents:

"I have a job from next week and guess how much I will earn."

"Marten, you will have to tell us. We really have no idea what kind of money is involved. And how often will you be working?"

"I will work one and a half day a week, and all holidays if I want to. But you won't believe how much it pays per hour: 7,50 dollars. Can I really keep all that?"

"That is quite a lot of money, we never guessed you would get so much. But you can keep it as we promised."

Just before Mara's birthday a similar talk took place in her house. She still wanted to become a vet. But as there were no jobs with vets available, she had to settle for a job in a pet shop. As she found out after she got it, it paid less ( 5,00 dollars an hour ). But she did not mind she would get plenty of experience with pets and their owners.

Mareng and Mara never really discussed the difference in money. But they talked about the things they did and how they liked their jobs almost better than college. It made them both feel like real adults and they did what they liked best. They still had enough time for their homework, their hobbies and walking the dogs together.

About one and a half years later ( they were both 17 years old by then ) the subject of learning to drive a car was brought up. The two families joined together for this. It was decided that they would share a cheap old car, as that was all they could afford, and put a L-plate on it. The parents could take turns with the tuition. As it was such a big expense for both families, Mareng and Mara were encouraged to make a contribution from their savings. Of course they had no objections to this.

Hopefully when each of them turned 18, they could sit their driving test. Their parents would pay for this.

Mareng and Mara loved their lessons and were quick learners. They almost never argued with the parent that was teaching them. Only very occasionally there was a bit of a hassle, when they thought injustice was done. And don't forget they both were in puberty now. In puberty it is normal to go against your parents. Not that their parents always liked it. But they realised it was a phase that would also pass.

As expected they both passed their test the first time. Mareng slightly sooner than Mara, as he was just a little bit older.

They were now allowed to use the car, but only for special occasions: if they had to go somewhere that was too far to walk. Their parents paid the insurance and most of the petrol, but they had to make a small contribution to the petrol.

The last year at college involved mainly repeating things they had learned before. As the final exams could involve everything they had been learning during their whole period at college. This made the year relatively easy for Mareng and Mara. In April the first exams started. The exams involved most subjects they had been taught, with the exemption of art, art history and gymnastics.

The exams were all over by the end of May. There were the same exams for the whole country. And the teachers had to make absolutely sure they could not copy one way or another.

After all the exams were passed, they did not have to attend college anymore. But for some it meant the start of a tense period. Only when the results were made public would they know if they had passed or not. If a pupil did not pass, they would get a phone call on the day of the results. If you heard nothing, you had to go to college at 3 pm and get your results.

Even Mareng and Mara were tense, especially on the day. But they received no call and went to college together. It was a very pleasant surprise that all the pupils from the 6th grade were there. That meant they had all passed their finals. Mareng and Mara were chuffed and almost forgot to phone their parents.
They were already on the way to the nearest ice-cream shop with a few of their palls, when Mara was the first to remember. Of course all made a call to home first.

About a week after getting their result, it was time for the grande finale: the graduation ball.

Mareng and Mara decided to go together. What else could they do as they were still best friends. Both of them got new outfits for this so special ball. Their Mums made them pick a design and then made it themselves. Mara chose this absolutely gorgeous long white dress with purple ribbons. Mareng chose a dark suit with a purple shirt in style with Mara's ribbons and a bow tie.

You have to wait now to hear about the ball and what happened to Mareng and Mara afterwards.











The picture I found on the internet, thanks maker, it is already of the ball.
Please be lenient again on mistakes as I am foreign, any tips to improve will be welcome.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. robina1978 All rights reserved.
robina1978 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.