General Fiction posted October 2, 2011 Chapters:  ...32 33 -34- 35... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anna returns to work.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part one, Chapter 11

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?
CHAPTER ELEVEN

Before going to his house, Paul pulled into a parking space at the community park and turned toward Anna. "Bobby's in jail. He can't hurt you or Michael. The court ordered anger management courses which will help. I've seen situations where they've worked wonders." He opened the car door. "It's a beautiful day. Let's go for a walk and release some of the tension before going to the house."

They walked the trail around the lake in silence.

*****
Anna wiped a wisp of hair from her cheek. "You're right. It helped. It's almost a perfect Indian summer day. I hadn't taken time to notice." She stood in front of Paul's car. "I got everything we asked for in court today, didn't I?"

Paul nodded and grinned. "You were silent on the walk, but I see you were thinking. Are you feeling better?"

"I needed time to put things in perspective. Michael and I will be all right, won't we?"

"Yes. Ready to give Betty and Troy the news?" He paused. "You and Troy need to remain separated until the papers are filed. Understand?"

"I understand." She laughed.

With a sigh, Paul shook his head. "I give you sound legal advice and you laugh." He opened the door. "Get in."

"I guess I'd better tell Troy our date for tonight is canceled." She sat in the seat and giggled.

"Now, she teases me." Paul chuckled. "You've made your point, my dear. Troy's right, you're getting stronger every day. That's a good thing." He shut the door, walked around to the driver's side, and sat behind the steering wheel. "Mrs. Rodgers didn't make an appearance at the courthouse today. I wonder if it's her way of conceding defeat. I think you can go back to your regular routine tomorrow."

*****
Thursday morning Anna kissed Michael's chubby cheek as she dropped him off at daycare. She smiled, watched her son turn his head and search around the room. I'm sure he's looking for Betty. She spoiled him rotten. After Anna glanced at her watch, she kissed him again and rushed out the door. "I better not be late for work. I've already missed two days this week because of the trial.

It wasn't long before she sat at her desk and glanced through the first folder on the four-inch stack.

Mr. Keller stood in the doorway. "Did everything go satisfactorily?"

"It did. Life should be much simpler now. Thank you for asking." Anna raised the file. "I should have this for you within the hour."

"Good. I have a meeting tomorrow morning with Mr. Barkley." He walked away.

I'm glad things have calmed down. I don't think I could handle any more drama. I'm looking forward to a nice quiet life raising my son. Anna glanced at a photo of him on her desk and smiled.

*****
Late Friday afternoon, when Anna heard sirens, she looked up from the computer. She took a deep breath and felt a strange twinge in her stomach. I wonder what's going on. Why do I feel something's wrong? Michael's safe at daycare. Who else would I worry about? She tapped her fingers on the desk. What about Troy? The motorcycle he rides isn't safe. I hope he wasn't in an accident.

When she noticed two police officers walk by the window and open the door, she stood. She heard the taller officer ask for her and she grabbed the back of the chair.

Ginger walked them to Anna's door. "Anna, these officers would like to speak with you about something." She took a few steps away from the door, but remained in the hall.

The heavier officer stood in the doorway and said, "Mrs. Rodgers, there's been an incident."

Anna gulped. "What kind of incident?" She released a slow breath.

The taller one stepped closer. "Your son attends the Rainbow Daycare, correct?"

"No, not Michael." Tears streamed down her face as she tried to run past the man. "I've got to get to him."

Ginger stopped Anna, put her arms around her friend, and asked, "Officer, exactly what happened? Is her son all right?"

"It appears your son was the target of an attempted kidnapping. Do you know anybody who would do this?"

"Is Michael hurt? Where is he?" She glared through her tears at the officer.

"He's at the hospital as a precaution, but he appears to be fine. Who would want to take your son?"

"My mother-in-law. On Wednesday I was awarded full custody. She threatened to take him from me."

Mr. Keller stood in the doorway. "Anna, is there a problem?"

"Somebody tried to kidnap Michael. He's at the hospital. I need to leave."

"Of course. I don't think you should drive. Is there somebody I can call?"

Anna pointed to her purse. "Paul Sorenson, my attorney. His number's in my phone."

Ginger removed it, found Paul's name, and pressed call. After she explained the situation to him, she hung up and said, "He's on his way."

Anna nodded acknowledgement.

With a notepad in hand the heavier set officer asked, "What's your in-laws' address?"

After a pause, Anna repeated the address. "I'm sure they'll deny everything, but they're the only people who would do something like this."

He glanced at his partner. "Let's check them out." After the taller of the two nodded, he continued, "We'll let you know what we find out. Will you be all right until your attorney arrives?"

Ginger nodded. "I'll stay with her."

Anna sat in her chair and cried. "Why would she do something like this? Does she hate me that much?"




Recognized


Thank you for reading and reviewing. I appreciate the help and support your give me.

SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233
Each state has it's own hotline number.

I am stepping away from abuse facts and giving some abducting facts.

In 1999, there were an estimated 203,900 children abducted by family members. Only 56,500, or 28% were reported to law enforcement.

Of these 203,900 children, 110,106 (54%) were under six years old.


Fifty-three percent (108,067) of family abducted children were abducted by their father and twenty-five percent (50,975) were abducted by their mother.

Approximately twenty-one percent (42,819) of the children abducted by non-custodial family members, were missing for more than one month, and six percent (12,700) remained missing.

The typical family abducted child is six to eleven years old, female, white, and of single parent households.

The typical abduction occurs with no threat or use of force or weapon, with the intent to prevent contact and affect custody permanently.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.