Romance Fiction posted August 28, 2011 Chapters:  ...27 28 -29- 30... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
At the grocery store, Anna gets a surprise.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part 2, Chapter 9

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?
The following morning, Michael woke Anna just as hints of dawn filled the sky. Anna lifted him from the crib. "I'll change you, then we'll rock for a while and see if you'll go back to sleep. If not, I'll fix your breakfast."

On the way to the rocking chair, Anna turned on the TV and set it to an early morning news program. As she rocked, Michael drifted back to a light sleep.

A breaking news report aired. A woman's live-in boyfriend was arrested for murdering her and their four children. Tears rolled down Anna's cheek. That could be me. She held her cell phone, ready to call 911 at every noise. Bobby's in jail. I'm safe.

*****
Late that morning, Anna and Michael arrived at the neighborhood grocery store. With Michael strapped in the cart, Anna began shopping. She scanned the infant section and picked up diapers and formula. With a partially full cart, she turned down the fresh produce aisle and came to a sudden stop.

"Troy, do you like red or green grapes?" asked a petite blonde in her late twenties.

"I like them both. How about fresh pineapple?" Troy held one up.

Anna listened as the female continued, "Yum, that would be good. Any other ideas?" When Troy didn't respond, she continued, "We have an assortment of fruit. Let's see what the deli has."

Michael started fussing. Anna struggled, turning the cart around.

"Anna?" Troy called.

Anna rushed toward the checkout line. Now, I know why he always tells his dad staying away from me won't be a problem. He's involved with someone. I've been a fool. She unfastened Michael, yanked him from the cart, grabbed her purse, and rushed from the store.

*****
Troy ran his hands through his short hair. "What just happened?"

"The young lady thinks you and I are a couple. She's upset over it."

"You're kidding."

"She's jealous."

"I have to go after her." Troy, impeded by an employee who left the shelves stocking cart in the way blocking his passage, stood in the front of the store.

Through the store's window, Troy saw Anna fastening Michael in his infant car seat. He ran toward them and yelled, "Anna, wait. Let me explain."

Anna sped away.

Troy took out his cell, then replaced it. She won't answer, right now.

Inside the store, Troy saw Anna's grocery cart. I'll finish her shopping and deliver it. She'll have to let me in, then we can talk.

Nancy walked up to him. "Were you able to explain that I'm only your secretary?"

"Nope. She left. I thought I'd finish her shopping. Can you help choose appropriate fresh fruit for her eight month old?"

After Troy paid, he called Anna. She didn't answer. He continued to pull out of the parking lot. When I deliver the groceries, she'll have to talk with me.

Troy pulled into Anna's apartment complex. This is supposed to be a secure apartment complex, but the gate's wide open. I need to let Anna know it happens sometimes.

He carried two grocery bags and knocked on her door. No answer. "Anna, I know you're home. I saw your car. Open the door. I have your groceries. You misunderstood what you saw. Let me explain."

No answer.

"I'm glad you're getting emotionally stronger. That's a good thing. Please open the door. We need to talk."

No answer.

"All right. I'll leave these outside your door and carry in the other bags."

When Troy returned with the rest of the groceries the two he'd left were gone and 'thank you' was written on a note taped to the door with a promise to repay him once her new checks came in.

He shook his head. "Here's the last of the groceries. You can't avoid me forever. There's no need to repay me. 'Bye." He started to leave, then returned and knocked. "The gate was open when I drove in, so you need to watch that. This complex isn't completely secure." He scratched his head. "Um, see you around." He went to his car and left.

*****
With tears streaming down her cheeks, Anna pulled a curtain back and watched Troy drive away. The nicest man I've ever met just left my life. Why are all the good guys taken? She sighed. I'd better get the groceries.

Anna made two trips but carried them inside. As she lifted a bunch of bananas, she said, "I wonder if his lady friend chose these? How ironic."

Michael made a noise playing on the floor and Anna glanced in his direction. "It's just you and me, sweetheart. We can do it, I know we can. We don't need a man in our lives, do we?"

How many times has Troy told his dad that staying away from me won't be a problem? I guess he hasn't told his parents about Blondie. I wonder why? I'll bet she's not the 'take home to Mother type.' They were at the grocery store awfully early on a Sunday morning. Grocery stores aren't exactly an exciting date place.

She slammed a package of chicken parts on the counter. "I need to forget him and go on with my life." She studied the chicken then placed it in the refrigerator. Tomorrow I return to work. I can't risk seeing Troy, so the bookstore is off limits. I'll pack a lunch and walk down the street to the park. The fresh air and exercise will do me good. Bobby's still in jail. He won't stay behind bars forever, so I better find someplace else to eat.




Recognized


School is in full swing and I am already falling behind. Thank you for reading and reviewing my post. I hope I didn't hurry too fast to post and made stupid mistakes.

SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233

The majority of welfare recipients have experienced domestic abuse in their adult lives and a high percentage are currently abused.

Three children die as a result of child abuse in the home in the United States each day.

Only 1/3 of people report child abuse when faced with an actual situation.

The single, leading cause of death for children ages four and younger is Child abuse and neglect.

Strangers do not pose the greatest risk of sexual abuse to children; Most children are abused by people they know.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.