Romance Fiction posted August 21, 2011 Chapters:  ...26 27 -28- 29... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Things continue to get better for Anna.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part one, Chapter 9

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?
CHAPTER NINE

Anna said bye to Paul and Troy, shut and locked the door, then turned and scanned the living room. I can't believe this room. It has more than we need and it's completely set up. All that's needed is finishing touches.

She walked over to the TV and grinned. I doubt Paul and Betty had an extra TV lying around. As Anna went into the bedroom, she smiled. Everybody has extra bedding and towels they're not using. She removed a cell phone from her jeans pocket. Now I have my own cell phone. She flipped it open and glanced at the time. I'd better get busy. Paul said, he'll return at five o'clock.

*****
A few minutes before five, Anna answered the door and greeted Paul. "Perfect timing. I feel like I live in a palace. Thank you for everything."

"You're welcome." He grinned. "If it's all right, we have one stop to make before going back to the house. My insurance agent set up car and renters insurance policies. After you sign the paperwork, you can drive the car back to your apartment tonight." He scanned the room. "How does it feel being on your own?"

"It feels great, but I'm hardly on my own. You and Betty have done everything for me."

"We're helping you get on your feet so you can be self-sufficient." Paul glanced at his watch. "We'd better hurry. The insurance company closes soon."

Anna grabbed her purse and keys. "I'm ready. Do you know how Michael's doing?"

Paul opened the door for her. "I saw him about an hour and a half ago. He was doing great."

"Good. I hope he wasn't too much trouble." Anna locked the door.

*****
After Paul parked in the driveway, Anna rushed inside to Michael. He giggled and raised his arms. Anna lifted him and kissed his cheek. "Mommy missed you so much today. I can't wait to show you your new home."

Betty entered the room. "Anna, Troy will be here in about thirty minutes, then we'll eat. I'm sure you're anxious to get home."

"Thank you for everything. I couldn't have done this without your help."

A buzzer sounded from the kitchen. "Please don't worry about it. I'm needed in the kitchen." She left.

Anna followed. "Is it all right if I take Michael outside?"

"There's a swing by the flower garden he enjoys."

Anna carried Michael to the swing and she smiled. "Michael, this wasn't here a few days ago." She fastened him in the seat and gently pushed.

*****
Several minutes later, Troy bent and picked an 'Indian Blanket'. "Look the petals are becoming a deeper red." He handed it to her. "Dad said you have your apartment looking good. How does it feel to be on your own?"

"Great. I return to work Monday and Michael goes to daycare. It'll be nice to get into a routine. Your parents have helped so much."

Troy touched her arm. "How are you really doing?"

Anna turned away from him. "Fine, why are you asking?"

He placed his hands on her shoulders and turned her to face him. Their eyes met. "Your life has changed drastically in a very short time."

She stared at the ground.

"You're not doing all right, are you?" Troy gave Michael's swing a push. "Talk to me."

"I have a new apartment and everything's perfect. But I'm afraid it's too good to be real." Anna hesitated. "That something bad is just around the corner. When Bobby's released from jail he'll come looking for me."

"Dad's doing everything possible to keep him in jail. When the time comes for him to be released, we'll work something out to insure your safety."

Moisture welled in her eyes. "My mother-in-law thinks Bobby should get custody of Michael. I couldn't live if that happened." Troy saw the frown on her face and put his arms around her.

"I'm sure Dad won't let that happen."

Paul frowned at Troy and addressed Anna, "That shouldn't be a concern. You won't lose Michael."

When Troy released Anna, she lifted Michael from the swing, tightly cuddled him, and glanced at Paul. "I'll do anything, as long as I don't lose my son."

"Dinner's ready." Paul touched Anna's arm. "I'll take Michael inside. When you're ready, come on it. There's no hurry." He took the child from her. "Let's see how you like your new high chair." After giving Troy a stern look, Paul asked, "Are you coming?"

"I'll be there in a minute." He turned toward Anna. "Are you all right?"

"I'm fine." Anna nodded and wiped her eyes. "We better get inside." She turned toward the swing. "First a swing, now a highchair."

"I think Mom misses having a little one around. I bet she's planning on seeing him often." Troy opened the door for Anna to enter.

*****
As Betty passed plates of peach cobbler around, Paul put a scoop of vanilla ice cream on each one. After everybody was served, Paul handed Anna an envelope. "This might come in handy."

Anna's eyes widened as her hands fumbled opening it. Finally, she ripped it open and took out a bankbook. "What's this?"

"Look inside," Betty's eyes widened as she motioned for Anna to hurry.

"No, this is way too much. I've never had a thousand dollars in my whole life. I can't accept this." Anna held the book toward Paul.

He exchanged glances with Betty before waving off Anna. "I won't accept it back. You're spending tonight in your new home. Michael might get awfully hungry before you get paid. Tomorrow you'll need groceries. Other things might pop up we haven't thought about. You'll need cash. In the back of the book is a debit card."

"Can I have my paycheck switched to this account?"

Paul grinned. "I thought you might want to do that. Yes. The only names on it are yours and mine. Your husband won't have access to it. When you get established, we'll remove my name."

Anna took a bite of cobbler. "I hadn't considered groceries." She glanced toward Michael.

Betty touched Anna's hand. "I've packed a few things so you'll have something for breakfast."

"There's no way I can ever repay you. You're way too generous."

"When you get settled remember to bring this little guy over for visits." Betty leaned over and hugged Michael.

"I can do that. You can be his surrogate grandparents. A child shouldn't grow up without a grandma and grandpa."

Paul chuckled. "Sounds perfect to me."



Recognized


I struggled to keep up with my reviewing and this this week was only teachers back. Next week the children return. I will try to get better organized. Thank you for reading and reviewing.

SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233

It is estimated that 25% of workplace problems such as absenteeism, lower productivity, turnover and excessive use of medical benefits are due to family violence. (Employee Assistance Providers/MN)

In 92% of all domestic violence incidents, crimes are committed by men against women.

In 1994, women separated from their spouses had a victimization rate 1 1/2 times higher than separated men, divorced men, or divorced women.

Family violence costs the nation from $5 to $10 billion annually in medical expenses, police and court costs, shelters and foster care, sick leave, absenteeism, and non-productivity.

A child exposed to the father abusing the mother is at the strongest risk for transmitting violent behavior from one generation to the next.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.