Romance Fiction posted August 6, 2011 Chapters:  ...23 24 -25- 26... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anna visits her new residence.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part two, Chapter 8

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?
At eight-thirty the following morning, Margaret and Anna arrived at the Sorenson's. When Paul answered the door, Anna shifted Michael on her right hip. "Something smells good."

"Homemade biscuits just came out of the oven." Paul glanced at his watch. "We have about fifteen minutes before we need to leave." He led the way to the dining room.

As the ladies sat at the table, Betty poured them a cup of coffee and passed the biscuits, butter and jam. "Hand me Michael, so you can help yourself." Anna gave her the baby and his juice bottle.

"I made some phone calls this morning." Paul took a sip of steaming black liquid. "After we sign the papers and get the keys to the apartment, the police and Eric Young, your husband's attorney will meet us at your former residence. You'll be able to get what you want. A team of packers will arrive to help. Is that all right?"

Anna glanced at her son.

Paul rubbed the top of Michael's head. "I thought Betty and Margaret could continue spoiling him. Isn't that right, little guy?" He grinned at the child. "If we get your belongings, then maybe you could move this weekend. Troy and I can help."

"Wow, things are moving fast." She released a deep breath. "That would be great. Can I call Mr. Keller and return to work on Monday?"

Paul took a bite of biscuit. After he chewed and swallowed, he grinned. "Hum, that's good." He took another bite. "Why don't we stop after you get your keys?"

Anna buttered her biscuit. "I'll finish this then I'm ready." She smiled and her eyes lit up the room.

Paul stood. "Let's do it."

After kissing her son, Anna and Paul left.

*****
Paul made the down payment, Anna signed the lease agreement then unlocked her new apartment. She removed the spare key from the ring and handed it to Paul. "Would you keep this for me? I want somebody I trust to have it."

He accepted it.

"It's sort of a security blanket."

After Paul nodded, they walked through the empty apartment.

"I can't believe this is mine. I've never lived anywhere that had two bathrooms." Anna opened the door to the bathroom off the master bedroom. "Look at all this space."

After each room had been inspected, Paul glanced at his watch. "Ready to talk with Mr. Keller?"

"It'll be embarrassing, but it's something I need to do." She locked the door and double checked it. "Michael and I will be safe here. I can feel it."

*****
On their way to Anna's former residence, silence filled the car.

Paul pulled to the side of the road. "Talk to me. What's wrong?"

Anna released a deep breath. "Seeing Mr. Keller reminded me of the lie I lived. Nobody knew about the abuse. I was too embarrassed to say anything. I lived in a dangerous vicious circle."

She took a drink from a water bottle. "Troy was the only person who knew about it." Her eyes met Paul's. "I didn't tell him. I reached for a book and my sweater sleeve rose. He saw the bruises and wanted details. You know the rest."

"I got the impression Mr. Keller would be supportive."

Anna nodded, turned the water bottle around, and fingered the lid. "Has anybody been in the house?"

"I don't know, maybe Bobby. Why?"

"It'll be a mess." She took another drink.

"If you want to do it another day, I'll make the phone calls and reschedule."

"No, this is one thing I need to do to put that life behind me." She released a deep breath. "I can do this." She nodded. "I'm ready."



Recognized


Thank you annie-angel for your artwork Abused.
I am still on vacation, so I am not using my computer. I am struggling with this one, so I hope my post works. I'll be home on Tuesday.

SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.