Romance Fiction posted July 21, 2011 Chapters:  ...21 22 -23- 24... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anna discovers if she can afford an apartment.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part two, Chapter 7

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?
I'm trying to make this novel, although fiction, as realistic as possible. I know this chapter is boring, but it's necessary because it's something abused women need to think about as they attempt life on their own. Anna is lucky. She has help. Most women don't and struggle causing them to end up in the same or a similar situation they had tried to escape from.
***
In my previous post Anna, Margaret, Betty leave to look for at two possible apartments.
***

Betty shut and locked the door. The three women stood on the front sidewalk of the second apartment. Betty smiled at Anna. "This is the last one I thought would be suited for you and a young child. You've been awfully quiet. Do you like either of them?"

"This is nice, but I really liked the first one. I don't think I can afford it. It's a new luxury apartment and in a gated-community."

"The rent is $850 a month."

Anna thought. "That's about twenty-six percent of my income. There are utilities on top of that."

Betty took her cellphone from her purse. "We'll take another look and see if the property manager will give us an estimate of how much the utilities run."

*****
When the ladies returned to Betty's home, Paul was on the floor playing with Michael.

He smiled. "Was your trip successful?"

Anna stared wide-eyed at him. "You're on the floor, playing with my son."

"Yes, I am and I'm enjoying it." He stood, lifting Michael with him. One arm held the baby and the other hand held a purple dinosaur. "Is there a problem?"

"I guess not." Michael's arms went out toward his mom. She took him and kissed his cheek. "I guess there's nothing wrong, is there?"

"There isn't." Betty smiled and set her purse down. "Anna liked the new apartment complex off Cedar Drive, but she's worried she can't afford it."

"Let's go in the den and write everything down and see what we come up with." Paul started walking toward the den with Anna following. She cuddled Michael close.

At his desk, Paul took out a notepad and pencil. "All right, let's start." He wrote rent, electricity, gas, cable, and phone.

"Rent $850. The realtor said the water was included. I was told the average electric bill is about $200 per month. There's no gas, it's all electric." Anna watched Paul cross off gas. "Write down $300, I can't believe it's that cheap. I can bundle the cable and phone, so maybe $100. What does that come to?" She grinned. "I don't have a TV, but I'll need a telephone. A TV can wait."

"$1250. You bring home about $3100 a month so that leaves $1850 month for groceries and expenses. I would suggest putting $200 a month aside each month for emergencies such as car repair or anything that comes up. That still leaves $1650. I'm sure your monthly grocery bill won't be over $600." He laughed. "That's including diapers."

Paul tapped the notepad with the pencil. "You need to add car insurance. If I were you, I'd take out renters' insurance, it doesn't cost much. Those together will come to about $200 a month. If you need help with the insurances, let me know. I'd put aside at least $100 a month for Michael's college. I can help you find a good safe investment for that, if you're interested. We'll make sure your husband helps pay for that."

"Michael's growing like a weed, but he won't need $750 worth of clothes a month." Anna squeezed him and grinned. "I can do this, can't I?"

"Yes, my dear, you can."

Betty walked into the room. "What can she do?"

"I can afford the first apartment." She glanced at her watch. "I guess the office is already closed. I'll call in the morning."

Anna sighed. "Wait. I forgot Day Care. It's $600 a month."

"That's highway robbery." Betty shook her head.

Paul checked his figures. "That's still leaves you $150 a month for co-pays on dental and doctor's appoints. Don't forget you'll get child support. If the bum doesn't pay we'll take him back to court."

"So I can still afford it. I'll call tomorrow."

"Nonsense. I have Ellen's home number. I'll set everything up and you can sign the papers first thing in the morning." Betty went to the other room. After a few moments she came back. "It's taken care of."

"Margaret will bring you here and I'll go along and make the down payment." Paul stood.

"Wait!" Anna cleared her throat. "I know you told me not to worry about it, but I never considered you'd pay it. I thought some organization that helped abused women took care of things like that. You're representing me for free and now making my down payment. That's way too generous. I can't accept it. I'll never be able to repay you."

Betty stepped beside her. "All we want in repayment is to make sure you and Michael are safe."

Tears streamed down Anna cheeks. "This is way too much. No, I can't."

Margaret walked into the room and ran her hand up and down Michael's back. "Anna, think of this little man. He deserves a better life."

"You're right. It's not fair he was born into this situation, but it's so much money."

"Look around." Betty turned a complete circle. "We can afford it. Paul and I want to do it." A timer sounded from the kitchen. "I need to check my brownies." She started to leave, stopped, and turned around. "Paul and I have been very blessed. We are very comfortable and want to share what we have. Please allow us to help." She left.

Paul pointed toward the door. "Margaret, let's leave Anna and Michael alone for a few minutes." He set a box of tissues beside her as he left.

*****
Almost thirty minutes later, Anna opened the door to the den. She held her baby close to her chest. "Mr. and Mrs. Sorenson and Margaret, thank you for all you've done. I don't know what would have happened to us without your help. Thank you." Tears welled in her eyes.

Betty walked over to Anna. "First, call me, Betty and call my husband, Paul. We have witnessed the devastation domestic violence causes on women and children. We're glad to help. Please accept it."

Michael started to fuss.

Margaret held out her arms. "Anna, I'm sure he's hungry. I'll feed him." She took him from Anna. "Betty baked him a sweet potato. I'm sure he'll love it."

Anna wiped her tears as she laughed. "He's going to make a huge mess with that."

Paul stood and chuckled. "We also have a bathtub or in his case, a large sink. Whichever you're more comfortable with."

"Thank you again." She released a deep breath.

*****
Troy opened the door to his parents' house and grinned when he saw the group hug. "Is there room for me? Or have my parents traded me in for a daughter?" He pushed his way between his mom and dad and put his arms on the outside of everybody as far as he could reach.

Betty kissed his cheek. "Nobody could take your place and you know it."

"Your parents have graciously offered to make a down payment on an apartment."

"Sounds like something they'd do." He turned toward his dad. "Will Rodgers remain in jail long enough for Anna to settle in an apartment?"

"He should be incarcerated for a few weeks. The apartment complex Anna has chosen is a gated community, so there's some security, plus he won't know where she is. It's that new complex on Cedar Drive."

"That's a nice quiet neighborhood." Troy hesitated. "Won't his lawyer require Anna to disclose where his son is living?"

Anna's eyes widened as she stared at Paul. "Is that true?"

"In a way, but I should be able to hold off his attorney with the history of abuse and the fact he'll need supervision to see the child."

Paul ran his fingers through his short gray hair. "I need to remind both of you. You need to stay away from each other until the divorce is final. If Rodgers suspects Anna has another man in her life, he'll become dangerous not only legally, but physically."

"Dad, I've already told you, that won't be a problem." He glanced at Anna, who had turned white with fear.




Recognized


Thank you google images for the artwork.
I appreciate all who read and write reviews.

SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233
Have poor communication skills
Some people talk with their words, while others talk with their fists (actions). Batterers typically have trouble with discussing "feelings", especially very strong ones like anger or frustration. Some may feel that "having feelings" and talking out problems goes against the sterotyped male role that they have bought into (see above). Without the skills or self-permission to express themselves in constructive ways (ie in a way that feels uncomfortable or where they feel inadequate), they often lash out with violence.

Use drinking and battering to cope with stress.
Batterers in general have a higher incident of drug and alcohol abuse than non-batterers. This doesn't mean that drugs or alcohol CAUSE the abuse, rather it lowers inhibitions making an already frustrated and violence-prone person more likely to fall back on violence as a crutch, especially when confronted with their lack of communication skills and any feelings of inadequacy.

Blame others for their actions
Commonly, batterers use the actions of others as excuses for their own behavior. They blame the person who made them angry, as if that person were pushing some magic button that released violent behavior. How often have victims heard "why did you make me do that"? If your partner is chronically unemployed, someone is always doing them wrong or is out to get them. They may make mistakes and then blame you for upsetting them so that they can't concentrate on their work. They may tell you that YOU are at fault for almost anything that goes wrong. Abusive people will might say, "you made me mad" and "I can't help being angry". Although they actually make the decision about how they think or feel, they will use feelings to manipulate you. Abusers see themselves as the "victim" in the relationship, and do not take responsibility for their own feelings or behaviors.

Are prone to hypersensativity
Abusers are easily insulted, and may take the slightest setback as a personal attack. They will rant and rave about the injustice of things that are really just a part of living, such as having to get up for work, getting a traffic ticket, or being asked to help with chores.

Present dual personalities
Often the most frustrating thing for the victim, many batterers are excellent actors. They may appear to function well at work, with friends and family, etc. Sometimes only the battered spouse is aware of the true "nature of the beast". This often makes it difficult for a victim to reach out for support from friends and family, because those persons may try to talk the victim out of thinking that their spouse is a batterer. Often a victims friends and family will go on and on about "what a great guy you've got there" - because the batterer has successfully hidden their violence at home. It's even MORE frustrating for the victim when members of their support system try to turn the tables and say things like "well, just don't make him mad". They're putting the blame on the VICTIM and not on the offender where it belongs! When this happens, the violent partner gets backup from the very people the victim NEEDS for support and they too fall into the trap of myths about the nature and causes of family violence!

Exhibit cruelty to animals or children
This is a person who punishes animals brutally or is insensitive to their pain. They may expect children to be capable of things beyond their ability. They may tease children and younger brothers and sisters until they cry. They may be very critical of other people's children or any children you bring into the relationship. Your partner may threaten to prevent you from seeing children you have no biological rights to, or punish children to get even with you. About 60% of people who beat their partner also beat their children. Of course the OPPOSITE of this can be true also. Abused women often say that they stay "for the sake of the kids, because he's a great father to them." Unfortunately, one parent abusing another is one of the greatest risk factors for child abuse as well as for children to sink into depression, anxiety disorders and other mental and physical illnesses. Abuse also models the role of violence to the children as THEY grow up and into relationships of their own.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.