Romance Fiction posted July 15, 2011 Chapters:  ...20 21 -22- 23... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Paul discusses the divorce with Anna

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part one. Chapter 7

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?
CHAPTER SEVEN

Troy took a long drink of coffee then turned and saw Paul in the doorway. "You're always good at sneaking up on me. I got your message." He took a gulp finishing his cup. "I needed that. How did the bail hearing go?"

"Very well." Paul stepped in. "I proved Rodgers is a danger to not only Anna but to the community. The timing was perfect for him to tear up that bar. He did about five thousand dollars worth of damage and broke a man's arm."

"Are you representing the owner?"

"Yes." Paul walked over and poured himself a cup of coffee. "I hope you don't mind." After a sip, he said, "I need to meet with Anna again. I think it's safe for her to return to work. I'm sure she needs the money. We also need to discuss her divorce. I'll see if your mom wants to do some apartment hunting."

"I think Mom would enjoy helping." Troy grinned. After another sip of coffee, he asked, "Will Anna always live in fear of her husband? He can't stay in jail forever."

"All I can do is make sure he stays there long enough to let him know Anna means business and he needs to stay away from her. I think once she stands up to him, he'll back down. Bullies usually do. Before long he'll find another woman with a low self-esteem that he can beat up and the cycle continues."

"She can't stay hidden forever." Troy quieted while a secretary handed him an envelope.

"How did your meeting go with the railroad officials?" Paul took a sip of coffee.

"Very well. We have the contract to repair the bridge. It'll take about two months, weather permitting. I'll just make appearances to make sure things progress smoothly."

Paul glanced at his watch. "I'd better get home. Your mom will be wondering about me. I'm going to call Margaret and set something up with Anna for tomorrow."

"I had the impression the women are moved every other day. Is there any way Anna can stay with Aunt Margaret until she's in an apartment?"

"Margaret was going to make some phone calls about that." He finished his coffee. "I need to get going. Thanks for the coffee, but a donut would have been good with it."

"Mom would find out." Troy grinned. "We'll talk later." He watched his dad leave.

*****
When Betty opened the door early the following afternoon, she hugged Margaret and then Anna. "You must be Anna. I've been anxious to meet you." She sighed and smiled. "This handsome young man must be Michael. How old is he?"

"He's seven months today."

Michael gave Betty a huge grin.

"Oh my, he's adorable. Look at those two bottom teeth!" She reached her arms out for him. "Do you mind if I hold him?"

"No, but he's not content to stay put. He's crawling and trying to pull up. He can't but he'll push-up on your lap." Anna handed him to Betty.

"Paul's in the den. This way."

Betty turned and Paul stood in the doorway. "Come in and make yourself comfortable. You can set the diaper bag over here." He pointed to a spot off to the side.

"I'll get some ice tea and cookies." Betty rushed off.

Margaret followed. "I'll help."

Paul took a folder off his desk and sat beside Anna. "Your husband will remain in jail until the assault hearing. You will need to be present for that."

Anna released a deep breath. "Okay. When?"

"The date hasn't been set. His lawyer is trying to rush it." He lifted a packet of papers. "Mr. Rodgers has already filed for divorce. I've read the paperwork. You don't want to contest it, do you?" After she shook her head, he continued, "I didn't think so."

He watched Anna remove her wedding band. She laid it on his desk. "Here. I don't know what to do with it, but I don't want it."

Paul placed it in a drawer. "We'll worry about that later."

The women returned and Betty passed out the glasses of ice tea and set the plate of cookies on the desk. As Betty sat and took Michael from Margaret, Paul grinned. "Before we continue, would you like to tell Anna about the apartments you looked at this morning?"

"I found two I think you might like. If you would like to see them, I can make arrangements for later this afternoon."

"I would like that, but I can't afford a down payment. I've missed so much work that I'm completely broke."

"That's not your worry right now. Is it?" Betty glanced toward Paul.

"No, it's not your worry." Paul smiled as Michael tried to grab her glasses. "Betty, make the arrangements for around three o'clock."

"Margaret and I will babysit this little guy, while you and Paul finish all that legal stuff." She glanced at Margaret and grinned. "Is that all right? Then you and Anna can stay for dinner. We'll barbecue pork chops on the grill."

Margaret smiled. "Sounds great. Anna, all right to you?"

Betty stood and motioned to Margaret. "We're not needed and I better make those phone calls. Let's go spoil the baby." She smiled as she left the room with Michael, Margaret, and the diaper bag. "I think the little guy needs a change."

Anna watched them leave.

"Don't worry, we won't be that long. I doubt they can do too much damage." He chuckled.

Paul held the folder in his hand. "We're going to ask for full financial disclosure. I'll need access to your records too. I may even try to get some alimony too, but probably won't be successful."

"I'll get a statement from Mr. Keller."

"Do you own your car?"

"Yes, Daddy gave it to me while I was in college. I don't owe any money on it." Her eyes met Paul's. "I don't want anything from Bobby, except to be left alone."

"I understand. That's what I want also. I feel if we hit him with a lot of legal red tape he'll back down and leave you alone."

"I understand."

"We need to work out a division of assets; real estate and vehicles. In the hospital you mentioned Bobby inherited the house before you met. Is that right?"

"Yes. I do want Michael's bed and his and my things from the house. Other than that I don't want anything to do with house. It has too many bad memories."

"I understand. What about the truck? He bought it after you were married."

"As long as I get my car, I don't care about his truck."

"That should be easy since it was a gift from your parents. Do you owe any money as a couple?"

"Not that I'm aware of. Bobby took care of the finances."

"What about investments?" She shook her head so he continued, "You probably have a life insurance policy and some retirement through your place of employment. If Mr. Rodgers' name is on them, you need to get them changed." He glanced at a paper. "In this state usually child support is twenty percent of his gross income. Oh yes, you should get half of what is in the banking account and saving account, if you have one."

"What about Michael? I want full custody of him."

"We're going to ask for sole custody and no visitation rights. We'll probably end up with restricted visitation. If he visits with Michael once, I'll be surprised."

"All right. All this seems overwhelming."

"We'll stop for now. I'll file the papers first thing in the morning and see that Mr. Rodgers is served." Paul stepped in to the hall. "Betty, were you able to get in touch with the people about the apartments?"

"Yes. Is Anna ready?"

He glanced at her and smiled. "I think I have sufficiently bored her with legal jargon. I'm sure she's more than ready."

"Bobby's in jail, right?"

"Yes." Paul paused. "You're safe. You women enjoy the rest of the afternoon with apartment shopping."

Margaret walked over with her finger on her lips. "I just put Michael down for a nap. Do you think you could watch him while we're gone?"

Paul smiled. "He has a good idea. I think I'll nap in my favorite chair."

Betty grabbed her purse. "Let's go."

"Are you sure you'll be all right?" Anna's eyes met Paul's.

"I'm capable of watching this little guy."

"Bobby never babysat. He said it was a waste of time and women's work. Are you sure?"

Betty took her arm. "My dear, we need to have a talk. Men can take care of children just as well as we can. Let's go. We have plenty of time to talk." She took Anna's arm and they headed toward the garage.




Recognized


Thank you google images for the artwork.
I appreciate all who read and write reviews.

SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org
National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233

MORE CHARACTERISTICS OF BATTERERS:

Have unrealistic expectations or demands
Abusive people will expect their partner to meet all their needs: the perfect partner, lover, and friend. They say things like "if you love me, I'm all you need and you are all I need". They may expect you to take care of everything for them; emotionally, physically, and sometimes economically. However, this is not natural or healthy in a relationship. Instead, partners in healthy relationships encourage each other to pursue their dreams, to have friends and interests outside of the relationship and take pride in their partner in these things.

Use isolation to keep you centered on them
The abusive person tries to cut the partner off from all resources. If you have same-sex friends, you are a "whore", a "slut" or "cheating". If you are close to family, you are "tied to the apron strings". The abuser will accuses people who are supportive of causing trouble, and may restrict use of the phone. They will gradually isolate you from all of your friends. They may not let you use a car (or have one that is reliable), and may try to keep you from working or going to school. Some abusers will try to get you into legal trouble so that you are afraid to drive or go out.

Believe in male supremacy and the stereotyped masculine role in the family.
Batterers are often obsessive about appearing to the "the man of the house" and they tend to hold very high and rigid rules about how they get act because they are "the man" - often leading them to feel the need to dominate and control and to expect their word and their needs to be catered to at all times, including in the bedroom. The abuser sees you as unintelligent, inferior, responsible for menial tasks, and less than whole without the relationship. They will often tell you that no one else would want you or that you are nothing without them. They will remind you of their "provider role" - everything they have done for you.

Use of force during sex
This kind of person may like to act out fantasies where the partner is helpless. They let you know that the idea of rape is exciting. They may show little concern about whether you wants to have sex, and use sulking or anger to manipulate you. They may start having sex with you while you are sleeping, or demand sex when you are ill or tired. They may want to "make up" by having sex after they have just been physically or verbally abusive to you.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.