Romance Fiction posted July 10, 2011 Chapters:  ...19 20 -21- 22... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Troy tells Paul about Anna.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part 4 Chapter 6

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much.
Previous post:
Inside his office, he removed his phone from his pocket and called his father. While he waited, he tapped his fingers. "You'll never believe what just happened." He listened then said, "I want to see the look on your face when I spring this on you. I'll be there in fifteen minutes."

Today's post:

Paul opened the front door as Troy pulled into the driveway. "Your mom can hear that motorcycle a mile away." Troy walked through the door as his dad asked, "What's the big news?"

"Let's go in the den. You need to be seated before I say anything." After Paul sat, Troy grinned. "Aunt Margaret has Anna."

"What?" His eyebrows rose and his eyes widened.

Troy explained everything starting with Mrs. Collier, the underground organization, how Anna ended up at his aunt's, the phone call, and the visit.

"Betty, come in here," Paul called. When she stood in the door, he said, "You need to hear what your sister has been keeping from us for years." Paul's eyes met Troy's. "Relay everything to your mom."

When Troy finished retelling the story, Paul picked up the telephone receiver and punched speed dial. "Margaret, I need to meet with Anna. When and where would be a good time?" He listened. "No, Troy won't be along, just me." As he nodded, he said, "All right, I will meet you at the coffee shop by the Nature and Science Center in the morning. Yes, I know the one." He paused and listened. "It's a good idea for you to take Michael to see the animals while I visit with Anna, but I think he's a little young." He laughed.

As he hung up, he glanced at Troy. "No, you can't come along. I'll have Everett stay with Margaret just to make sure nothing goes wrong."

Troy cleared his throat. "First thing in the morning, I have a meeting about the railroad bridge anyway."

*****
When Anna entered the coffee shop, she saw Paul sitting at a round table. She sat across from him. "I'm sorry. Michael was fussy this morning. Have you been waiting long?"

"Just long enough to order a cup of coffee. Can I get you anything?"

"No, let's get the business out of the way." She glanced around the busy shop. "I hope nobody sees me."

"Your husband is in jail right now. I'm pretty sure you're safe here." He motioned for the waitress. "A glass of ice water, please."

The waitress immediately brought it. Paul took it and handed it to Anna. "You look like you could use this."

She smiled and took a sip. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." He lifted his briefcase, set it on the chair beside him, and opened it. "I took the liberty of preparing these papers." He set the first one in front of her. "This one is a restraining order. It means your husband can't come near you, can't call, or come to your residence or place of work. If he does, you call the police and he'll be arrested."

"But if he kills me before the police get there, it's a little late."

Paul released a deep breath. "You're right. That's why you're going to stay hidden until it's safe. Do you have your and Michael's belongings from the house?"

After she shook her head, Paul said, "If you give me your key, I'll have someone go inside with the police and get your things." He handed her a piece of paper and pen. "Write down what you need." He stared at the restraining order. "This is only as good as the enforcement of it, but it shows the judge you think he's dangerous. Will you sign it?"

Anna signed where he indicated. When Paul took more papers out, she asked, "What's that for?"

"This stack has two purposes. This pile is to file criminal charges for assault." He lifted the stapled group and pointed to the papers underneath. "This is to file civil charges for the assault."

"Can I do that?"

"In this state, you can. I feel it's necessary to show your husband that you mean business. He needs to get the idea you're now in charge."

"Won't it only make him more angry and determined to kill me?"

"Initially, maybe. We're going to make sure you're well protected." He set the papers down. "Anna, your husband is a bully. He preys on your inability to stand up for yourself. Once he sees you're strong enough to fight back, he'll back down, especially when he loses in court."

"What if I lose in court?" She studied her hands.

"I won't let that happen. That's why we're going to file every court action we can. The court needs to know you're serious about getting this man out of your life. After you sign these papers, we'll discuss the divorce."

Anna glanced around the room.

Paul chewed on his lower lip. "Are you sure you want to file for divorce? Do you need more time to think about it?"

"I want to get away from Bobby, but Michael is his son. Will he beat me when he comes for visitation?"

"I'm going to use the term we're because we are a team now. We're going to ask for child support. I'm going to try to use Michael's bruises and scratches that were documented while in the hospital, as proof that Mr. Rodgers shouldn't have visitation rights. I doubt we get that, but we'll get restricted visitation. He'll need somebody with him the entire time he's with Michael." He pulled out more sheets of paper. "I need you to sign these so I have access to your medical records."

Anna studied Paul's face. "I trust you're doing what's best for Michael and me. I'll sign anything you want."

Paul took a sip of coffee. "Anna, that's not the attitude I want from you. We're a team. You need to understand why and what I'm doing. You need to approve of what I'm doing. You're in charge of your life now."

"I've never been in charge of anything. Daddy made all my decisions while I grew up. My college was very small and an old-fashioned private school. We still had floor mothers. Soon after I moved here, I met Bobby and he made all the decisions and took care of all the money." She tapped the water glass. "I don't know if I'm smart enough to be in charge."

Paul covered her hands with his. "You are a very smart young lady and you are capable of being in charge of many things."

"Bobby told me I was dumb."

"He's a jackass and bullied you. Forget everything he told you. I'm telling you that you're a very smart lady." He paused. "Anna, you graduated from college and have a well-paying job. The people you work with rely on information you supply. If you were stupid, you wouldn't have been able to do that. Am I right?"

She nodded.

Paul glanced at his watch. "In two hours, Mr. Rodgers has a bail hearing. I don't want him out of jail. We're asking that his previous bail be revoked." His eyes met Anna's. "You won't need to face him yet. You will at the divorce hearing." He paused. "Ready to sign more papers?"

After Anna signed both sets of papers, Paul took a sip of coffee. "Think about what you want from the divorce. I'll take care of these today, and we'll discuss the divorce at our next meeting. Any questions?"

"How long should I stay hidden? I really need to get back to work."

"I should know more today. If I'm right, your husband will remain in jail until he's brought up on assault charges. I'll contact you this evening and we can make plans about work." Paul took out his cellphone and called Everett. "We're finished for now. This young lady and her son need to get back to safety."

*****
Paul stood on the courthouse steps and called Troy. When he didn't answer, Paul left a message. "I met with Anna. She's doing well. I'll call after the bail hearing."



Recognized


For my fans who want to know what's going on with me.
I have found the solution to ignoring the pain under my right arm from radiation therapy. Have your port removed on the left side. It works. I had the port removed on Friday and the area is very tender. I hardly notice the right side any more.
Thank you for reading and reviewing. I appreciate all of your reviews.
Thank you google images for my artwork.

CHARACTERISTICS OF BATTERERS:

Have low self esteem.
Even though a lot of batterers might appear to be 'tough", "strong", and "confident", more often than not they really suffer from low self-esteem. They may feel that they fall short in the area of their own sex stereotype and so they overcompensate with hyper-masculinity. If they are emotionally "needy", and they have become dependent on their partner, the thought of losing that partner feels threatening and thus behaviors of controlling and jealousy follow.

Rush in to relationships
Many victims dated or knew their abuser for less than six months before they were engaged or living together. Abusers can come on like a whirl-wind claiming "love at first sight", and using flattery such as "you are the only person I could ever talk to", "I have never felt loved like this by anyone". They may need someone desperately, and will pressure the other partner to commit to a relationship before they are truely ready.

Are excessively jealous
An abuser will always say that jealousy is a sign of love. Jealousy has nothing to do with love; it's a sign of possessiveness and lack of trust. In a healthy relationship, the partners trust each other unless one of them has legitimately done something to break that trust.

Exhibit controlling behavior
Often at the beginning, a batterer will say that this behavior is because they are concerned for your safety, a need for you to use time well or to make good decisions. Abusers will be angry if you are "late" coming back from the store or an appointment; you will be questioned closely about where you went, who you talked to. At this behavior gets worse, the abuser may not let you make personal decisions about the house, your clothing, or going to church. They may keep all the money; or may make you ask permission to leave the house or room.


SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org
National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.