Romance Fiction posted June 29, 2011 Chapters:  ...17 18 -19- 20... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Troy receives a phone call.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part 2 Chapter 6

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much.
Troy had just finished eating dinner with his parents when he learned Ellen Collier was part of an underground safehaven for abused women and their children.

Now, for today's post:

"I need to head home. I have a meeting about the bridge early in the morning." Troy started to walk toward the door.

"I'll walk out with you. I need some fresh air." Paul followed, then stopped to get the ringing phone. "I'd better see who it is."

Troy continued walking. "I'll be in touch tomorrow."

Paul listened for a moment to the person on the phone and said, "Troy, wait." He watched his son walk back toward the house. "You'll be interested in this." Paul continued with his telephone conversation.

After he hung up, he nodded toward the den. "Join me."

"It's about Anna and it's not good, is it?" Troy paced.

"It was Everett. He was visiting a friend at the local precinct. Two cops brought in Bobby for drunk-and-disorderly. I guess he tore up a neighborhood bar. While being booked, he blabbered about how his lawyer would get him off just like he was going to get his son for him. It seems he's already filed for divorce and has a kidnapping charge waiting for Anna's return."

"Is there a way to find out how much time she can be away before she gets into trouble?"

"Tomorrow I'll go down to the courthouse and see what's been filed."

"Can you do that? You're not her lawyer."

"I just made myself her lawyer."

"Dad, you've been retired for years."

"I've kept my paperwork up-to-date in case a situation arose that I wanted to get back in the courtroom. This is just that case. I want Rodgers to suffer." He grinned. "I may even see if I can swing it so he spends more than a night in jail."

"Are you going to visit the tavern owner and see if he'll press charges?"

"That, plus I'm pretty sure part of his bail agreement was to stay away from Anna. His visit to the hospital wasn't too smart. That way when Anna does return, she'll be safe a little longer."

"Thanks, Dad." He glanced at his watch. "It's late. I'd better head home. We'll talk tomorrow. I think Mom's in the living room. I'll say good-bye before I leave."

*****
The following morning before the sun had completely risen, Troy sat in his office and stared at the phone, willing it to ring. When it didn't, he opened a manila folder and shuffled the papers. He made himself a pot of coffee, washed his cup, and waited. After he poured a cup and sipped. "Ouch that's hot." Of course it is! It just finished brewing. I'd better get my mind off Anna and start on that stack of papers on my desk. I have a meeting in the morning with representatives of Stonewall County and the FRA about the bridge.

Later that morning, Troy called in the engineering team that examined the bridge. "Tomorrow I meet with men from Stonewall County. Two people from the Federal Railroad Administration will join us. A cost effective plan to repair the wear-and-tear of the bridge is needed. I'm open for any ideas."

The men worked through lunch before they were comfortable with their proposal. As the last man left, Troy checked the time. It's after six, I guess the phone isn't going to ring. He closed down the computer.

As he stood on the sidewalk and inserted the key to the business' main door, the phone rang. Troy rushed in and grabbed it. "Hello." He listened, then replied, "Aunt Margaret, is something wrong?" This is strange. "Yes, the office is empty and yes, I'll wait until you arrive. Are you sure you're all right? I can come to you." After a long silence, Troy said, "All right I'll wait here." What is going on?

Troy paced the lobby floor. Maybe Dad knows what's going on. He started to press numbers then put the phone away. No sense in bothering him, she's probably trying to fix me up with one of her friend's daughters. That seems to be her favorite and only pastime.

When Troy heard a knock on the front door, he turned, saw his aunt, and rushed to unlock it.

Before he could say anything she asked, "Are you sure you're alone?"

"I'm positive. What's going on? Why so secretive?"

Margaret stepped outside and motioned with her right hand to someone.



Recognized


Thanks to google images for the artwork.
Please understand that this is part of a longer novel and I break the chapters up for ease of reading.
I appreciate all who read and review.

SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org
National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233

Some battered women stay because they believe what their assailant is telling them:
· "You're crazy and stupid. No one will believe you." Or, "You're the one that's sick. You need help. You're hysterical."
· "I know the judge; he won't put me in jail." Or, "The police will never arrest me."
· "If you leave, I'll get custody because you'll have abandoned me and the kids."
· "If you leave, I'll find you and kill you. I'll kill your family, your kids, and your pets. You'll never escape me."

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.