Romance Fiction posted June 25, 2011 Chapters:  ...16 17 -18- 19... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
New information is revealed.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part 1 Chapter 6

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much.
CHAPTER SIX

Mid-afternoon, Troy saw the caller ID on his cellphone and answered, "Dad, did Everett find Anna?" He listened for a few moments. "If she's not at a shelter or a motel, I don't know where else to look." He paused. "Maybe we should go back to the hospital and see what we're missing."

He glanced around his office. "I can meet you there in about an hour. I have a few things that need my immediate attention. It doesn't look like I'll need to check that bridge in Stonewall County. I'll know for sure later this afternoon."

*****
Troy met Paul outside Anna's former hospital room. Paul glanced up and down the hallway. "This looks exactly like it did the day Anna went missing. Look at all the people. The nurses have to know or at least saw her leave. Somebody helped her."

"The first night Anna was in the hospital, a nurse helped me take Michael to visit her. Maybe she'll share some information." Troy started down the hall with Paul by his side. He stopped and stared at his dad. "No offense, but you look like an attorney. I'd better do this by myself. I'll be right back."

Troy stood outside the nursery and waited until he saw the nurse. "Hello, this is a little awkward, but I met you a few days ago. You helped me take an infant, Michael Rodgers, to see his mom. Mrs. Rodgers and her son have disappeared. I was wondering if you know or saw who they left with and where they went. I just want to make sure they're safe."

"I can't give you any information. If Mrs. Rodgers wanted you to know where she took her son, I'm sure she'd tell you." The nurse walked away.

At least now I'm positive Anna and Michael are together.

The nurse walked back toward Troy. She leaned in and whispered, "I can assure you they're safe." She turned and left.

Troy walked back to where his father waited. "All I know is they're safe. Did you find out anything?"

"Not really, but see that volunteer?" He hid his finger-point under his arm and nodded in her direction. "I remember seeing her the morning I visited Anna. She hung around her room, but wasn't around when I came back that afternoon. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but when I think back, something felt strange."

Paul walked up to her. "Excuse me, Ma'am. I remember seeing you a few days ago while I visited Mrs. Rodgers. I'm wondering if you happened to see who helped her leave the hospital."

"I'm sorry, I can't help you." She hurried away.

"Ma'am, please just a few more questions." Paul took a step toward her then stopped and said to his son, "She knows a lot more than she's telling us."

"Do you think she knows where Anna's at?"

"I doubt that but I bet she knows who she left with." He took out his cell phone. "It won't hurt to have Everett follow her for a few days."

Troy answered his ringing cell. After a short conversation, he hung up and said, "I'm needed back at the office. Can you handle things from here?"

"I'll wait for Everett, point out the volunteer, then head for home. He can handle things from there." Paul paused. "I'll walk with you and get a cup of coffee while I wait."

*****
Early evening, Troy glanced up from his paperwork and watched as his dad entered. "What brings you to the outskirts of town?"

"Everett is doing some surveillance of our volunteer. Her name is Ellen Collier."

"If she only saw something, how will that help?"

"I have a feeling she's more involved than just seeing something. She may be the person who helped Anna leave."

"That would be a good thing." Troy shuffled some papers. "Tell Mom I won't make it to dinner tonight." He checked his watch. "I'm flying to Stonewall County in two hours. I should be back early tomorrow afternoon." He picked up his phone. "I better call Mom, myself."

"You're right." His dad chuckled.

When Troy hung up, Paul patted his son's shoulder. "I'll let you finish what you're doing. If I hear anything, I'll let you know. Have a safe flight."

Troy watched his dad leave. I sure hope Everett finds out where Anna is.

*****
The following afternoon, when Troy arrived back to his office, he noticed numerous calls from the same number, but no messages were left. That's strange. Anna, are you trying to contact me? If you are, call back. He tried to return the calls, but the calls were blocked. He ran his fingers through his short hair. The card I gave her has all my numbers. If she tried to contact me, she could've called my cell. He studied his cell. No missed calls. He put the phone in his pocket. I'll finish up here and go see Dad. Maybe he knows something. With a grin, he removed his cell. I better let Mom know I'll be there for dinner.

*****
"Mom, I'm here." Troy shut the front door.

Betty hurried to him and kissed his cheek. "I heard that motorcycle three blocks away. You know those things are dangerous, don't you?"

"You've mentioned that a time or two." He hugged her shoulders. "Is Dad in the den?"

"He's with Everett, but should be back anytime. He was in a rush to leave."

"While we wait, I'll set the table." Troy put the last spoon on when he heard the door. He turned. "Dad? Did you learn anything?

Paul sat at the table. "Yes and no. Ellen Collier is a member of an underground safe-haven for abused women and their children. This group has numerous members and the women are passed from one member to another. Nobody really knows where they are physically located at any given time."

"Is that where Anna's hiding?"

Paul nodded and took the meat platter from Betty. "Everett and I think so, but we have no proof."

"Has anybody talked with this Collier lady?"

"Yes, but she denies knowing anything. I can't really blame her. She's trying to protect the women."

"What's our next move?" Troy helped himself to some potatoes.

"If Anna is with this group, she's safe and we'll have to wait for her to come forward."

"That's what I was afraid you'd say. How long can she stay hidden before it causes legal problems?"

"That depends on how badly her husband wants the baby back." Paul added vegetables to his plate. "I'm hoping he hasn't found a lawyer yet. If he has, he could file possible kidnapping charges against her."

"The violence is documented. Won't that help her case?"

"The charges probably wouldn't stick, but it could get messy." He stared at Troy. "That's why you need to stay away from Anna. I know you're only trying to help, but you wear your heart on your sleeve."

"I understand." Troy released a deep breath and concentrated on his meal.



Recognized


YEA!!!!!! My computer died and I got a new one, but I couldn't figure out how to get my artwork from google images. I have figured it out, finally.
Domestic Violence: "Why Women Stay"


It can be truly confusing to people on the outside looking in, wondering why a woman would stay with a man who beats her.

Those who don't understand say things like, "I'd leave him in a heartbeat if he ever hit me -- it would only take one time!"

And yet, despite repeated assaults, -- which can include trips to the emergency room, irreparable physical damage, alienation from family and friends, deteriorating self-esteem, children who live in fear, repeated calls for police protection, and threats of death, -- many women remain with the men who abuse them.

There can be many reasons, with more than one contributing to the problem. The categories are not discrete, with many overlapping characteristics among the arbitrary divisions.

The Safety Seeker:
It may be familiar, and oddly enough,
a comfortable lifestyle.
The Blind:
Not realizing it is "abuse."
The Worthless:
"No one else would ever love me."
The Defective:
"I deserved it; I'll do better."
The Manager:
"I can keep it from happening again."
The Gullible:
"He's really sorry, and it won't happen again."
The Pretender:
"I know I make him sound terrible, but he's
really a good person most of the time."
The Defender:
"He didn't mean to hurt me."
The Caretaker:
"No one else understands him the way I do."
The Fantasizer:
"But I love him."
The Martyr:
"He isn't hurting the children;
if he ever did, I'd leave."
The Helpless:
"I can't support the children on my own."
The Hopeless:
"He'll kill me if I try to leave him."

SAFE (Stop Abuse for Everyone) www.safe4all.org

I appreciate all of your support and reviews. Thank you.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.