Romance Fiction posted June 20, 2011 Chapters:  ...15 16 -17- 18... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Troy and Paul wait to hear from Everett.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part 4 Chapter 5

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much.
Early the following morning, Troy knocked on his parents' door, used his key, and entered. "Mom, are you up?"

"I've been up for hours. Your dad's in the den." She kissed her son's cheek. "I have bacon, eggs, hash browns, and biscuits-and-gravy. We'll eat in about ten minutes. Everett called and he's running a little late, but he'll be here shortly."

"Do you need help in the kitchen?"

"Of course not, you'd just be underfoot. Go visit with your dad."

Before Troy got to the den, the doorbell rang. "Mom, I'll get it." He opened the door and smiled. "Everett, it's been awhile. How are you doing?"

As they shook hands, Everett smiled. "I hear you have a missing young lady friend you need help finding."

"I guess that's accurate." Troy led the way to the den while describing the situation to the PI.

In the den, Paul greeted Everett with a handshake as Betty called them to breakfast.

Troy glanced toward the dining room. "We'll be there in a minute." He picked up some papers from his dad's desk. "We have a sketch of Anna." He handed a few to Everett. "Do you think you can work with this? It's as close as we could come."

"I think she's very pretty. I'll do what I can."

The three men headed toward the dining room table. After they were all seated and the food passed, Everett started the conversation, "Troy, how long has it been?" He buttered a biscuit. "It must be twelve years. Naw, closer to fifteen. I remember attending your graduation."

Paul smiled. "We've been lucky. Troy was a good kid."

"I remember your chest puffed out like the only rooster in the hen house while he gave the valedictorian speech."

"I think you're exaggerating, but I was proud."

Everett patted his stomach. "I'm full. If I'm going to find this woman, I'd better get going. Betty, once again, you out did yourself. The meal was very good. Thank you for having me." He stood.

"Can I tag along?" Troy wiped his mouth with his napkin.

"I appreciate the thought, but I work best alone." He pushed his chair under the table.

"I should probably show up at the office since I took a few days off. The bookstore runs itself, but my company needs constant attention."

Paul stood. "Everett, I'll walk you to your car."

Troy followed.

As the three men stood on the front porch, Everett looked at Paul. "I'll call as soon as I find out anything."

Paul nodded.

"Thank you." Troy shook his hand. "I'm afraid Anna's so frightened that she's somewhere nobody can find her."

"I agree." Paul patted Everett's back. "I'll be home all day."

After Everett drove away, Paul and Troy entered the house. "I'll help Mom clear the table, then I'd better get going."

"You mentioned your company needs attention. Is it doing all right?" Paul poured himself more coffee.

"I'm making payroll and expenses. I even have a little left over." He carried dirty dishes into the kitchen.

When he returned, his dad said, "Who knew there would be money in making sure buildings don't collapse."

Troy grinned. "A civil engineer who specializes in structural damage."

He left with more dishes and returned. "I sent an engineering team to Stonewall County to inspect that railroad bridge over the Brazos River. I haven't seen their report, yet." He hesitated. "I may have to make the trip myself. If I do leave, it'll only be for a day or two. I hate not knowing what's going on with Anna."

"I'm here for Anna. Your mom and I can handle any situation that arises. It's better for her if you're out of the picture."

"I guess you're right." He glanced at the table. "It's cleared. I'll say bye to Mom." He went into the kitchen. "I'll let you know about dinner," Troy called over his shoulder and grinned as he returned. "She's hard to say no to."

"You're right." Paul laughed. "I'll see you at dinner."

"Not if I make a trip to Stonewall County."

"I'll call when I hear from Everett."

"Thanks, Dad."



Recognized


Thank you again, annie-angel for allowing me to use your wonderful artwork Abused.

This is another bridge chapter. I appreciate all who read and give me their feedback.

National Domestic Violence Hotline - 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) and 1-800-787-3224 (TDD)
Each state also has their own hotline.

I have had a few reviewers state they didn't understand why the women stayed. I found this, maybe it will help.

Why doesn't she just leave? It's the question many people ask when they learn that a woman is being battered and abused. But if you are in an abusive relationship, you know that it's not that simple. Ending an important relationship is never easy. It's even harder when you've been isolated from your family and friends, psychologically beaten down, financially controlled, and physically threatened.

If you're trying to decide whether to stay or leave, you may be feeling confused, uncertain, frightened, and torn. One moment, you may desperately want to get away, and the next, you may want to hang on to the relationship. Maybe you even blame yourself for the abuse or feel weak and embarrassed because you've stuck around in spite of it. Don't be trapped by confusion, guilt, or self-blame. The only thing that matters is your safety.

If you are being abused, remember:
You are not to blame for being battered or mistreated.
You are not the cause of your partner's abusive behavior.
You deserve to be treated with respect.
You deserve a safe and happy life.
Your children deserve a safe and happy life.
You are not alone. There are people waiting to help.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.