Romance Fiction posted June 11, 2011 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Paul and Troy develop a plan to find Anna.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part 2 Chapter 5

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much.
Troy sat on a new sofa and grinned. Mom never would've bought a white one while I was growing up.

"How was your trip to Mount Erie?" Paul took a sip of ice tea.

"We were right. Anna's parents had no idea where she's hiding. I think her dad slightly softened toward her." Troy relayed the details to his dad.

"Any idea where we should begin our search?" Paul tapped his fingers on his knee.

Betty entered with a plate full of homemade cookies. "Paul, only one cookie for you. You need to watch your cholesterol." She winked at Troy. "You may have as many as you'd like. There's more in the oven." She sat beside her son. "If I were Anna, I'd find a shelter for battered women."

"Are you sure I can eat cookies on this sofa or should I move to the table?" teased Troy. He grabbed his arm, pretending the tap his mother gave him hurt.

"While Troy gallivanted around the country, my PI checked the shelters. None admitted knowing anything about Anna." Paul searched the cookie plate and chose the largest. "Anna stated she had no close friends to stay with and no money. I guess we could try the cheaper motels."

"I thought Everett retired when you did." Troy smiled. "Or does he just take special requests?" He sipped his tea. "I don't have a photo of her."

Paul took a small bite of cookie. "Betty, do you think your sister could do a sketch if Troy and I gave her a description?"

"I'll call Margaret and see if she's busy this evening. She hasn't been to dinner for a few months. We can throw some steaks on the grill."

Troy watched his mom leave the room and laughed. "Mom just happens to have extra steaks on hand? She's unbelievable."

"I always thought you were bright. Are you just figuring out how special your mom is?" Paul reached for another cookie.

"Only one cookie, dear," called a female voice from another room.

"After all these years you haven't figured out Mom's extra traits either, have you?" Troy helped himself to a third cookie. "She just happens to have homemade cookies on hand every time I drop in." He took a bite.

Betty walked into the room, wiping her hands on a dish towel. "Margaret will be here around six o'clock and she'll bring her sketchpad."

"Do you think Everett can work off an amateur sketch?" Troy checked a text on his cell. "Junk."

"I've learned from years of experience, that man can work miracles. If Anna's staying in any hotel in this town, he'll find her."

"And if she's not?" Troy rubbed his brow.

"We'll figure that out later. It shouldn't take long to check the hotels." Paul dialed Everett's number and set up a meeting for seven o'clock the following morning.

*****
Betty answered the door at five-fifty and hugged the elderly woman. "Margaret, I'm happy you could come on such short notice. Dinner will be ready in about twenty minutes. Paul and Troy are on the back porch grilling the steaks."

The two women were arm-and-arm, when they stepped through the glass-sliding door on to the porch. The men sat in chaise lounges. Paul held a barbecue fork and Troy a near empty plate of cookies. Both men stood. Paul put the fork on the grill's workbench, walked over, and hugged Margaret. Troy handed the plate to his mother and brushed his clothes before he greeted his aunt with a kiss to her cheek.

Within minutes Betty returned a tray holding three glasses of ice tea and gave Margaret the first glass. "I'm sure you won't mind chatting with these two while I finish in the kitchen. They can fill you in on the sketch they need."



Recognized


Thank you annie-angel for allowing me to use your artwork Abused.

National Domestic Violence Hotline - 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) and 1-800-787-3224 (TDD)
Each state also has their own hotline.

Domestic Violence occurs in 60% of marriages and is the most underreported crime.
National Crime Statistics Report, 1993.


90% of battered women reported that their children were present when they were beaten.
National Crime Statistics Report, 1993.

25% to 30% of adolescent relationships are abusive.
L.A. Commission on Assaults Against Women

1/2 of all rape victims are raped between the ages of 14 and 17.
L.A. Commission on Assaults Against Women

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.