Romance Fiction posted June 5, 2011 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Troy meets the Whites.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part 1, Chapter 5

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much.
Chapter Five

Troy knocked on the storm door of a typically American one-story white house with the white picket fence and all, including red rose bushes. I hope this is the right place. It's the one the gas station attendant directed me to. He glanced around the yard and noticed an old black pickup truck. Somebody should be home. He grinned when he heard footsteps.

A tall man in his early fifties answered the door. "Whatever you're selling we don't need any." He started to shut the door.

Troy put his hand on the doorknob and pushed it open. "I'm not selling anything. Mr. White, I need to speak with you about your daughter, Anna."

"My daughter moved to the city and took up the city's hifalutin' ways. She turned her back on God and family. She ain't our daughter anymore."

Troy removed his hand from the door handle. "I guess you haven't seen her then. She disappeared from the hospital." His eyes met White's. "I wondered if she's here."

A short attractive woman pushed her way past the man. "Anna was in the hospital? What happened? Is she all right?"

"Louise, she ain't our concern anymore. She made her bed. Now she must lie in it."

The trembling woman glanced at Abner, putting her hand on his arm, and then she looked hopefully at Troy.

"She'll be all right, ma'am. Her husband beat her for taking their son to the doctor. Your grandson, Michael has an ear infection."

Troy watched Anna's mother cover her mouth with her hand as Abner said, "Anna made her choice when she married the bum. We tried to warn her but she was too hardheaded to listen."

Louise released a deep breath. "I think Anna's paid enough for her sins."

Mr. White listened to his wife, then faced Troy. "It seems you know a lot about Anna's situation. What do you have to do with her?"

"I'm a concerned friend." He rubbed his chin. "I'm sorry. I didn't introduce myself. Troy Whitman." He offered his hand to shake, but it was declined. "I met Anna at my bookstore. She needed a friend. I called the police when her husband severely beat her. My father's a retired lawyer and was helping her before she disappeared. Please if you learn anything call me."

"We know nothing about Anna or her situation. You're upsetting my wife. I think this conversation is over."

After Troy took out a business card, he handed it to the woman. "If you think of anywhere Anna might have gone, please call."

The door shut in his face.

******
Troy sat in his hotel room. Now what? Do I return home or attempt to talk to Anna's parents again? Her mom appeared concerned. I think the ornery old fart was too. He's just too stubborn to admit it. I doubt they know where Anna is. I'm wasting my time here. I'll head home in the morning. He glanced at his watch, stood, and walked toward the door. It's dinnertime. There was a diner on the next block. It's a good night for a walk.

After Troy crossed the street a truck pulled along side the curb. "Hey mister," yelled the driver.

Troy glanced toward the voice and recognized Mr. White in his black pickup. He moved closer. "Can I help you?"

"The missus was worried about Anna. How badly was she hurt?"

"Two broken ribs, a cracked shoulder blade, and badly bruised."

"Her baby?"

"He escaped with only a few scratches and bruises."

"She's really disappeared?"

"Rodgers came and threatened to take Michael from her. Nobody has seen her or the baby since. I guess she went into hiding to protect her son."

"Sounds like Anna." Abner sighed, before he continued, "I'll tell my wife what you said. I'm sorry we can't help. If we hear from her, we'll call. Louise put your card by the telephone." He pointed toward the diner. "Not the best food, but it'll fill you."

Troy nodded as he watched the taillights fade out-of-sight. The old fart does care. He went inside the diner and ordered.

*****
Back in the hotel room, Troy chewed on some antacids before he called his dad. "I'll drop by the house when I get in town. I see no reason to hang around here." He spoke a few more minutes, then undressed and went to bed as his thoughts drifted to Anna. Lord, please keep her safe and help me find her.



Recognized


Thank you anniepage for your artwork Under Lock and Key.
I had been using the same image and had planned on using it throughout the novel. My computer crashed and put an end to that. This computer doesn't have the image on it. I hope my post is works. I have been busy shutting down my classroom for the summer. My youngest son also graduated from HS on Friday. I have family in. Between the two, I am completely worn out, but happy.

National Domestic Violence Hotline - 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) and 1-800-787-3224 (TDD)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.