General Non-Fiction posted June 4, 2011 Chapters:  ...69 70 -71- 72... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Violent situations and language.

A chapter in the book Performance Problems- My Life! LOL

Life Vests Manditory! -Part 2

by Mike K2


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.
The author has placed a warning on this post for language.
The author has placed a warning on this post for sexual content.

[Continued from last chapter]

It wasn't very long before Katie had a new place to run away to, "Hampden." While it is known for its bawdy Christmas display, "A Miracle On 34th Street," and as a lower middle class part of town and home of people that work hard; it is also known for its hard-assed side of life with drug dealers and thugs.

Another couple of weeks later, Katie ran to there, but was picked up for trespassing on public school property as her group was corralled and taken into custody with the friend she ran away with. The school system has an independent police force, and it meant going on North Avenue to pick her up from their holding area. Figure on one murder a night occurring in the area at times.

I found myself navigating Rita to the place and like usual, she was upset and not heeding my advice so we drove right by it and into even the more seedier and aggressive area of town. I immediately found we had a big problem, black guys were aggressively walking up to the car and there were a lot of car-jackings going on at this time as well. This happened at least seven times, so I made sure not to look scared and simply dropped my shoulder to indicate that I had my hand on a gun. It worked.

The school system police said this is Katie's courtesy notice, but the next time she will be charged and prosecuted. I sort of noticed that Katie was mentally backing off a bit, but not towards me. Just to look at her or the thought of saying something brought about a confrontational argument with Katie.



Another time, Rita caught Katie running away from the house, down the street to Harford Road and saw a pizza delivery guy speed off with her. This was the place that once held Park Restaurant, then Myfals. It continued to be owned by Pakistanis and since functions as a pizza/sub place, but constantly changed hands.

When I got home, Rita wanted me to talk with them and they assured me that didn't drive Katie away. Instead they took another girl to Middle River, which was Elizabeth's haunt, the guy just wanted me to leave, but I refused as I demanded to talk to the driver, "You can't because he is lost."

The reason that I stayed was, he was lost on Stevenson Lane, so in order to talk to him, I had to navigate him back to the store. By this time Rita called me up and said the police was their taking the report and I told her to tell them that the pizza shop did drive her away and they lied to me about it.

Once back, I got the whole story. The driver was sweet talked and paid twenty five dollars to drive Katie to Essex/Middle River, but those girls were already gone, so he drove her to Jordan's house. For whatever reason, the driver assured me there was no hanky-panky between him and her.

"I'll tell you what, I am wondering what the hell a business is doing accommodating the requests of a fifteen year old girl. I know Islam and what you did, goes against that. I also know how you guys act when you are trying to impress women, and the thoughts you have in your head."

"While I suspect you knew, I am now telling you that she is underage and suggest you stick with women." Just then the police officer called and told me that he wanted to talk to them, so I added, "I am leaving, but the officer wants to talk to you for a bit, I am telling you with him listening that no business that delivers pizza should branch out into helping girls run away and party."

"Thank you, sir for being so nice."

"Don't thank me for that, because the next time I come in, I don't plan on being nice. You don't want my bad side to come out."



Katie was brought home after the weekend of fun and a game of Duck, Duck, Goose with Rita and boasted, "Neither, You, nor Dad should chase after me. I can out run you Mom, and even Dad. I will leave you both eating my dust." Boy did that statement settle in my mind, and I was up for that challenge, just waiting for it.

Rita started mentioning to me that Katie started hitting her, and not knowing if I believe the claim or not, advised Rita to hit her back. "You know I can't do that, it's against the law and they will put me in jail."

"Well then, enjoy getting hit and having Katie getting more out of control." It was obvious that Katie, Jordan and Christina were bumping things up a notch in their respective households.

It was a matter of days, just before going to work, I was outside talking to the next door neighbor when Rita opened the back door and yelled to me, "Mike, Katie just hit me!" I excused myself and went in.

Katie was right there and immediately started to yell, "Come on motherfucker, hit me!" Hit me you motherfucker!"

"I should because you deserve it, but you are going to have to hit me first. Why are you hitting your mother?"

"I'm not, she's lying."

"I'll be honest, I think you both lie, but I want to know why you're hitting your mother?"

"Fuck off asshole!"

"I'm not going to fuck off, until you tell me what makes you think you can hit your mother and treat me the way you do."

The shouting match continued a bit longer, and then she ran into her room and tried to open her window. I ran in after her and use my body to prevent her from doing that and cornered Katie between her wall and her bed. At that point, I decided to be like a drill instructor dealing with a new punk recruit and wanted to break her completely down.

Rita was in the room, so I felt there wouldn't be a problem, but the new one that surfaced was Rita trying to calm me down. I knew she had no clue what I was doing and didn't want her to interfere with me either. Katie screamed at me and continued to cuss me out, I barked responses and laughed in her face, having enough of this, I had no plans to back down.

I knew Katie was reaching her limits because she was shaking with frustration and once again started yelling, "Come on hit me motherfucker! Hit me! Hit me!" This continued in an ever increasing crescendo, and with that not working demanded I let her go.

"No Katie, if you want to leave you have to knock me out of the way. Come on, hit me! Hit me!" What added insult to Katie's injury was not only was she not getting her way, I was imitating her.

"I'm telling you right now, if you want to leave, you have to fight your way out. Come on, that's what you wanted to do... Well, be the big girl and put your money where your mouth is!"

With that she bit her lip and gave everything she could and punched me in the chest, but I think her conscience didn't allow her to do what she wanted. To be honest, I wanted to deck her right there, but I thought control would provide her with a more important message.

"Come on Katie, I can't even swing back with that one. You punch like a dumb cunt!"

Katie let out a wild scream and dove over her bed to escape my clutches. She ran into the bathroom, locked the door and opened the window. I ran out through the kitchen and around to the window and with her part way out of the window, told her, "I'm telling you right now, I had enough of your bullshit and you are not going to be leaving this house."

I jumped up and grabbed hold of the window, but had to release my hold as she slammed down the window and would have broken all of my fingers. There she attempted to barter with me, but I wasn't having any of it. I did manage to get a smile when I mentioned that she almost broke all of my fingers. That's when I suddenly jumped up and had an arm in the window and she jumped backwards and ran out of the bathroom.

I immediately ran inside through the kitchen door. She screamed, "I'm going to kill you!" and grabbed hold of my fourteen inch chef's knife in the butcher block. I immediately jumped six feet closer to her and grabbed her hand. Her hand was around the knife and mine was around hers. I then drove my finger nail into the web portion between the thumb and forefinger.

That wasn't what I wanted to do, so I repositioned the tip of my thumb to put pressure on her nerve and joint and that worked as intended. Without her having any control, her hand released from the knife's handle. I then slammed her up against the movable island and kept her pressed in. By this time Rita was on the phone with 911 and it was music to my ears that the first thing I heard was, "Hello, I need the police here right away, Katie is trying to stab my husband."

I told Katie, "Katie, calm down! Just calm down! If you calm down, I will let you go. It's gotten too serious and you need some time to calm down." Katie relaxed a bit and in a little while I let go. Rita was still on the phone with the police and the second my back was turned, Katie grabbed the knife and Rita shrieked and started yelling into the phone.

This time, the knife was just about completely out of the butcher block and in Katie's hand. My problem was her hand was behind her so I couldn't wrest direct control of the knife. I grabbed her other wrist and cupped my other hand on Katie's elbow and started to push her back and forth, to and fro. I at least knew with doing this, her brain wouldn't be able to process the command to stab me. In addition Katie was fatiguing and I ran her two steps forward and threw her over my hip. She hit the floor with a slap and tucked both hands under her stomach.

From one problem to another, Katie was wailing away like a baby and not listening to my commands to get her hands out where I can see them. I gave her a couple of painful knuckle punches to her back and that didn't even work, I knew my problem of controlling her was much more serious.

I reached under her, grabbed her arms and overpowered her will to reveal two empty hands, I had a pang of sheer terror enter my body and soul with the thought, Oh, shit ... She's impaled!

I literally picked this 160 pound beast of adrenalin and panic and lifted her straight up in the air, and flipped her over. I made sure I still had her restrained and started searching for the knife in her and started screaming, "Where's the knife!"

Rita then said, "Mike, it's in the block." Rita went over to the block and pulled it out. I was in a state of shock and let go of my grip on Katie. How in the hell could that one happen, the last I saw of it, there was less than an inch to go. I saw God's hand in that one.

Less than a second later, Katie took off and ran out of the kitchen door, my exact thought which entered my mind was Katie's statement, "No one can catch me... Not even you Dad!"

I had to find out, so I ran out of the back and after her, but I ran around the other side of the house which was longer, and Katie was already halfway down the street directly in front of the house. This whole day was worth it for me to see the expression on her face as I instantly blew past her by thirty feet.

I then turned back and corralled her around a car at the side of a neighbor's corner house. I could still tell that Katie was deciding to match wits with me as she was trying to fain me and run again, "Katie, go back to the house."

She smiled at me in her consideration of running while her body was indicating that preference. "Katie, I'm telling you right now, go back to the house, the police are on their way. Go home."
She smiled again and I point blank told her, "I'm telling you right now I expect to be arrested and taken to jail. If you run, I will chase you down, beat the hell out of you and take you back home if I have to drag you by the hair."

I knew my point registered with her, but I still needed to reinforce that point, so with my arm pumping with my finger pointed at the car, I yelled at the top of my lungs, " God damn it Katie, get your fucking ass home right now. The police are coming and are going to be dealing with this."

With sirens approaching from all directions, Katie turned her tail and walked towards the house. I looked up at the neighbor's window and saw two women's faces with the most of horrified expressions. Back home myself I then called my employer and told him what happened and the news that I expect to be arrested and processed. I got a kick because they weren't prepared for a baby like the one I laid on them, while they knew their usual comments would sound stupid.

While Katie walked inside, I sat on the wall of the front steps and here come the police in force, from every direction. There were at least five police cars, but when they saw me outside, most of them drove off without hitting their breaks, except to get around each other.

That left two cars, one with a male officer who got out and walked towards me and a female one who was getting out. Still I figured that I would be arrested and told the male officer. "I understand that I may be arrested, but don't want the cuffs put on me inside with the family watching."

All he said was, "Well, let's take a look at things first." With the female officer caught up with us, we walked in.

Katie immediately stood up and pointed her finger at me and yelled, "That man beat me up and I want him arrested!"

The male officer said, "We heard the call while this was in progress and he's not the one we're going to charge, you are." Katie had the look of not only utter horror, but disbelief and finally she was worried.

Rita started crying at the prospects of Katie being arrested, but the police informed her that Katie isn't going to be arrested and taken from the house, but cited instead. I thought to myself, Jesus Christ, these fucking police want to see a body first.

They investigated, interviewed everyone including the next door neighbor. The female police officer came in and said. "Well, we're definitely charging Katie, but you beat the hell out of her."

"What makes you think that?"

"Her forearms are completely scrapped up and bleeding?"

"That's an easy one, she got the abrasions when she was trying to jump out the bathroom window."

"Well they're definitely your finger marks on her forearms."

"That was when I put her on the ground and she was refusing to put her hands out where I could see them. Remember, I thought she still had the knife? I had to pry her arms out from under her, but there should also be two bruises on her back from knuckle punches that I attempted to use to convince her to listen to me first."

"I'll be honest, you're all worried about me beating her up. With my strength and fighting knowledge, rest assured if I had really beaten her up, there wouldn't be any doubt. She wouldn't have been able to run out of the door and most likely would be leaving in an ambulance or Hurst. You know what? I would consider it a favor if you had a detective investigate this and photographically document her injuries so my story could be corroborated."

"No, that won't be necessary." I could only silently think, Of course not, because that would prove me right...

They wrote their citation up and assured Katie that she is now in the system, then left. The next day, feeling shamed, I knocked on the neighbor's door across the street as I felt she was owed an explanation.

I started to explain why the police came to my house and she started laughing and said, "Thank God it was only that."

To which I responded, "What the hell?"

"Mike, my friend had just put her baby in the car and came in to quickly get something and next thing you know, you and Katie were around the car and you were pointing at the baby, telling Katie that the police were one there way to deal with it;" meaning the horrible mother who left her baby in the car.

"We couldn't figure out how you found out about it so fast, and she heard all of the sirens coming and ran to her car and took off, hoping you didn't take her license plate number." It was nice to have something to give us a good laugh and I also got a pat on the back and told me she knows what I am going through because she had the same problem with her son for a while.

It wasn't the same within the household because of the contention over the charges on Katie. Rita was pestering me like crazy to drop them and for a few days I refused, but ultimately relented with the proviso that Katie stops running away, adheres to a curfew, and lets us know where she is and who she is with... Plus stop arguing with me.

Katie agreed and I thought it would be about two weeks before things changed back, but was amazed it only took seconds for Katie to start getting on me so I said forget it. Both Katie and Rita were upset with me, but I would not put up with any of that.

The next week, Rita pleaded again and with the same proviso, I once again agreed and this time it took a course of a day. So I called the State's Attorney's office and made sure the charges were placed. After a while I didn't hear back and called them and they thought I had dropped the charges, so I made it be known, I am the only one they should be talking to and that I plan to pursue the charges to the fullest extent.

It was a matter of weeks that Rita received the summons to go to Juvenile justice's intake for the initial interview. I couldn't believe the anger that was thrown my way and said, this should never have happened in the first place.

The intake interview took place not too far from the courthouse and it was basically Katie answering questions and she put her listening ears on, I had a feeling that somewhere along the line, my father had introduced me to him. He was a black man with a speckled white, braided beard.

I loved the apprehension that Katie had, but like many kids, she knew how to play the role. The intake officer asked the questions and Katie answered, and was hit in reply with suspicion and cynicism. One question caught me off guard, "Have you killed or wounded any animals?"

While Katie said she didn't, I wondered if my answer would have put me behind bars. With the emphasis on animals, I wondered if it would have been better if I was considered an animal. He sternly commented to Katie, that he is sending this to the States attorney and since she is now in the system, she better straighten up because if she does anything, they will make sure she is charged as well. I felt unsettled with the tough talk because, if that didn't hold true, it would only foster Katie's belief that she could get away with anything.

The court date was months away from occurring and it was a matter of weeks, before Katie was picked up at Jordon's house for burning plastic. This now added an additional precinct Katie and us visited, the Towson precinct. Instead of charging Katie, Rita had to only pick her up. So much for harsh words and the impending trial did nothing to curtail Katie's activities.

I went to a Liverpool rummy game, which the old guard of the troop held and ran and I met up with Bob, who was still working with Juvenile Justice. I told him what happened and he busted out laughing, "Well don't think anything is going to happen to her, not even probation."

"What? Even for attempted murder and an assault with a weapon"

"Nope, see Mike, you're still alive. There is no room for placements, and I bet she doesn't even get parole."

"Come on everything is cut and dry."

"They'll find a way. See now, you get to see how true all those things are that your dad told you."

We went to the courthouse, found out which room we were in and waited. It was finally our turn and I was already interviewed by the state's attorney. I was sort of flabbergasted with her attitude from the start. "Mr. Kohlman, you're wife called me and indicated that you really don't want to pursue the charges." She also told the neighbor his testimony won't be needed.

"No, I want them pursued. I was asked to drop them twice and Katie wouldn't live up to the simplest of requests. I want her held accountable."

"Well Mr. Kohlman, I will do what I can with the case, but don't think much is going to come from it because there are problems with it."

I took the stand and the Judge, Defense Attorney and Judge talked at the bench and I swore I heard, "This is how we are going to handle this..." They then hushed the conversation, but it seemed like me all three were going to internally throw the case.

I was given the oath, which I repeated and out of instinct added, "So help me God." All three made this funny grimaced faces and laughed, which I took as an insult not only to me, but God himself.

I was allowed to give the initial testimony, but when I said I entered the house and, "Katie said." I was stopped immediately by an objection of the defense attorney who said this would be hearsay and I told that I am to only testify to the questions that are asked to me. It was obvious that the entire story wasn't going to be coming out.

The next questions concerned me being in Katie's room and I found myself having to defend being there and slipped in mention that Rita was in there as well. "So you trapped Katie in her room and prevented her from egress to an area she felt safe in and did you say, "Come on hit me!"

"Yes."

The judge immediate made a very cartoon look of a grimace on his face as Katie's defense attorney yelled, "I would like this case to immediately be dismissed."

The master looked at me and said, "I am declaring Katie non-delinquent because Mr. Kohlman incited her into doing this act of violence against him."

I wondered why in the hell they didn't play the 911 tape and hated the feeling that State's Attorney office is working in collusion with the bench and public defender and it really smacked of the same injustice that resulted in my father being banned from the city courthouse. Family court to me, should now be considered kindergarten court.

I could only smile at Katie, but I was thinking, You little bitch, you got away with it and on top of it, and the court told you that it is OK to attempt to murder your parents and showed you what to do so you had the perfect excuse in case you really do kill someone.

Outside in the hall, though totally angry about the process, I didn't feel it would be any use to put it on Katie. I turned to her, smiled and said, "I'm glad you got off Katie, but rest assured the next time you challenge me, I am going to beat the living hell out of you and use the same defense. If they put me away, I will use it to totally expose the injustices in the system and all of this will find its way into the public."

I felt that at least some unpredictability would create enough fear to keep Katie from taking advantage from this and it did work. At this time, Christina also started a fight with her mom I heard ended up breaking a stool across her back. In that case, the parent's weren't charged.



While I had joy with Katie ending up on the outs with Jordan, I knew it was just a brief moment to savor. Sure enough, she got back with Christina, who hated Jordan. Then with a falling out from Christina, found other people to run away with.

This was like an old off-speed and flickering moving picture show. She would run away to Towson, Essex/Middle River, or that bastion of the city, Hampden. Occasionally she would find others but one thing was for sure. If she had new friends, then she was going to kick her old friends' ass, and like-minded they planned to kick hers.

With a new number I picked up the phone, and another girl started yelling at the top of her lungs and in an emotional state, a combination of curse words and whatever it was that was bothering her. I couldn't understand that part, but for the profanity. They always seemed to end with the tearful and angry statement, "I'm going to kick Katie's ass."

"That's fine, just don't do it around here!"

While not happy in the least about Katie's behavior, I was pretty much of the opinion that she had a bit of street smarts about putting herself in danger, so I was worrying a lot less, and usually not opting to go on any chases with Rita. But did Rita have some adventures! Such as chasing Katie through an apartment complex or a hotel, and going nuts on some friends that said something.

Rita's sister Cathy and her husband Steve decided to take Katie in, which made Katie very happy. All she had to do was promise to let them know where she was going, adhere to a curfew and not have either Jordan or Christina over.

Katie told me that she was all for this, but wait, those were the only rules we had for Katie as well. I don't believe that it took as much as a week; Steve was in the basement playing video games, when he heard a commotion that had him running upstairs.

Katie and Jordan were outside when a car load of boys sped to the house, hit the brakes and unloaded their paintball guns on them, the house and Steve's sport car with the threat that if the girls fuck them over again, it will be real guns the next time. That ended that.
Back at our house, Katie wanted to be emancipated and I offered her a lawyer, but the authorities told Katie the conditions, which would have spoiled her fun. Needless to say, parents can't divorce their children and are told to simply, tough it out.

Personally, I felt that Katie should be out of the household and on her own and I dropped the jaws of the police when I mentioned, parents should have the ability to force out a child like Katie and put them on their own. I told Katie, "I'll be honest; I agree with you that you should be on your own. That way, you are the only victim of your actions."

"Personally; if you are on your own, you control the quality of life. I think you will buck up and learn to do what is right. Noticed I haven't been in your face that much lately? I think you are doing a better job, but as long as you are here, I will still worry."

Rita came to me with a problem, she found a letter for Katie in the mailbox that came from the Baltimore City Lockup and was worried about it. I said, "She's a minor and at least take a look at it."

"But that's against federal law."

"Ok, if anyone finds out, it got lost in the junk mail you threw out, or you tell Katie you opened it without looking at the address."

Rita opened the letter and we basically read it. First we found out how cool Mike from Hampden thought he was as he boasted about this and how cool the lockup is. Next we found out he wanted Katie to have anal sex with his friend, and how much he liked it... Giving and receiving."

Katie ran away to there and upon her return told me, "Mike says you're a bunch of shit about how bad the Baltimore City Police are."

"I laughed and said, "Isn't Mike in jail and talks a lot about anal sex? If you want to believe him, that's fine, but I'm telling you out of love, Baltimore City isn't like the county, because they don't have time to deal with your type of stuff, they will deal with you in the most expedient way possible." This was the first point that seemed to register in a long time.

I couldn't believe that Christina would dare knock on my door, "Where's Katie?"

"I don't know, she's run away to somewhere. You know I don't want you to bother me or come to the house."

Christina turned and walked away, with her butt wiggling, and then she looked back with her coy smile. I gave her my loving look, but not my thoughts, Yes dear, you have a lovely body, but you're horrible in every other way. I wonder if I end up passing you on my way to work, as you do your job on Harford Road. Hopefully, I won't have to say, 'hello,' to Katie either.

There was some interesting phone traffic that seemingly popped up. First, I found out that I won a major prize from a clearing house... But they couldn't tell me what it is until I give them my social security number to verify my identity. I refused and asked them to provide them with mine and the lady said that she couldn't do that.

I then requested that they come to my house so I would show them my Social Security Card, but she said that wasn't possible because they needed the information over the phone to verify me first. I refused and hung up and had to ask myself, Who would want my Social Security Number in the first place? Elizabeth's mom came into my mind immediately, as her father was a Baltimore County Sheriff which left me wondering, Why?

A few days later, Rita told me that a lady called her, using an 800 number to cover her own telephone number and told Rita that she has a problem with paperwork that I submitted and needs my Social Security Number to complete it. Rita got suspicious, and her questions weren't satisfactorily answered either. She came to the same conclusion as well, Elizabeth's mom and dad. Between this and Katie's quotes placed on them, I was wondering if I shouldn't be going to war with them first. Obviously, they seemed to be planning one for me.

The rest of the world didn't stop for me either, Mom was still alive and at the nursing home, but it was a blessing her bureaucratic nightmare subsided. My nightshift was alive and well, but not Vic's Marriage as several months back, they had separated. I paid careful detail to how the shop worked with him throughout the separation.

Vic and Trina had problems concerning Vic's nightshift, and with working so close with another, I knew them all, as well Vic's frustrations with using up his spare time helping out his in-laws, to his incessant problems with his side of the family.

Still it was a shock to see them part, but I was happy that they did so amicably, with Vic leaving Trina his Pennsylvania house and moving in with his father. What I couldn't understand was how the whole shop was up in arms about this and suddenly Trina was a no good, cold hearted bitch and how everyone hated her. Even Vic didn't take this tone.

Vic told me that Trina is going out with a fire fighter, and he is dating another woman with children. I met her and was left wondering why Vic would choose her, as I felt that she was inferior in every way to Trina.

I sort of sided with my company's owners that it is a shame that those two decided to split up and there still was a hope that they would get back together. One night at work, Vic was giving me these hesitant looks and finally side, "Well, I know everyone's going to be pissed off at me, and I wouldn't blame you if you are too."

"About what, Vic?"

"Well, Trina and I are getting back together."

"Vic, I wondered why you split up anyway, it really didn't make sense to me. As far as I am concerned, Trina is a fine woman and most likely you should stay with her." I started laughing, "I always thought of you and Trina as a couple that would last forever, and yet you were the first to split up. Though I wanted to stay with Rita and did everything that I felt I could, when we split up, it's gonna be final."

When Vic and Trina got back together, there was a surprise, Vic decided to quit his job and find another one in printing that had a day shift position. I honestly hoped that the company wouldn't try to talk him into staying, so that I could continue on with my night shift and a new worker.

But after the two week notice, there were a lot of private conversations between Mike, the pressroom boss and Vic. With working days, when Vic signed on to the other company, there was a reduction in both pay and benefits. Advance talked Vic into staying and Mike was racking his brain to get it to work out.

To me it was simple, simply put Vic on a day shift and bring a new operator in for nights, but Mike was messing with everyone's schedule so at least one night a week, one pressman or another would have to work late. Mike had no idea what to do with me, but stated he didn't want me on a day shift.

That had me racking my brain too, and I really wanted Vic to work on the day side, as well with me maintaining the pay that I was making. It really wasn't enough, but I needed to do what I could to keep my income up. I proposed to Mike that I work a morning/evening split shift as I could prepare for the pressman and then clean up after them to shut the shop down.

I also didn't know if this was actually something that could be sustained, but offered to try my best. I was under the impression that we had a tentative agreement, and Mike told me that it would reward me financially. I was happy about that and willing to give it a try.

Right off the bat, there were problems. First, Rita was angry with me, but I argued my points of working as hard as I could to maintain the income. Usually, I was doing the same amount of work I used to have twelve hours to do, in eight. It was extremely exhausting and if I worked heavy on the night side, then I woke up a little late on the day side.

Vic shift was from 5:00am to 1:00pm, and he came from Pennsylvania. If he hit my house and I wasn't out, he would leave and then be angry with me all day. But if he was late, it was up to me to patently wait and if I had an attitude, he was immediately confrontational about it.

It took a lot of back and forth to be able to phone each other to best advise the other about the plans to get to work. What now affected both of our morale was; Mike was constantly complaining to us, made a lot of unnecessary cynical comments and basically treated us like crap. The people that worked the day shift had the attitude of, "Welcome to our world you Prima Donnas!"

While I worked heavier hours with the night shift, it was a base of four, ten hour days, as I could catch up on rest on Friday and still had a decent weekend. This split-shift was five days a week and I was averaging two naps at one to one and a half hours each. At least on one of the weekend days, I was exhausted and sick, yet still had to function with the family and its problems.

It was time for a new declaration from Rita, "I'm tired of you and Katie fucking up my life and I am now going out at night with my friends!" Rita was now working at a car dealership on Harford Road in Carney.

What were a few nights a week was now every night with frequently Rita not coming home. I asked her how she could afford to be drinking at a bar like that on her income and she said, she just lets the guys buy her drinks. It wasn't long after that a new name started coming up, "Mark."

I was also told that it was only a friendship and I shouldn't be thinking that anything is happening, but while I didn't believe that, I really didn't care as this whole mess would be ending soon. Rita stopped chasing after Katie and when Katie called her, Rita put the pickup in a holding pattern until she was ready to deal with Katie or felt like it.

What I didn't like was that Rita also put Jimmy on the back burner and while he was old enough to fend for himself, I didn't think this was right. I would try to spend a couple minutes talking with him but he was lost in his video games, or out at a friend's house for the weekend.

My only activities were an occasional Saturday meal at the Towson Moose Lodge or going up there on a Sunday to have a couple of drinks with Dave and shoot some pool. That little bit did a lot for me, and it was also a nice break for Dave who worked at IBM as a printer repair man and faced a lot of corporate uncertainty.

I expressed to Dave being livid about Jimmy's video game playing and performance at school, but Dave point blank said, "Mike, he knows what's up with you and Rita, and this is how he is choosing to deal with it. I think it is best to let him do so. If he fails school, he makes it up during the summer, but I think it is best to stay off of him and just be his friend for a while."

It was also at the Moose that a couple of members saw Rita and Mark together and inquired around the bar and found out it was common knowledge that they were dating. Rita once again stated that the world doesn't know what they are talking about and they are just friends, she then said that she wasn't coming home at night because she is taking care of a woman that has cancer and I would be a lousy person if I thought otherwise.

Except in reference to the kids, I really didn't care about Rita's nightlife and ignored her. Rita was no longer home very much and neither was Katie who really wasn't picking up on things. It seemed the person who suffered the most over things was Rita herself and that gave me satisfaction.

Finally one day in the dining room, Rita became unglued and screamed, "I hate this fucking house, I hate Katie and I hate you... I want to end this relationship and get the hell out of your haunted house."


"That's fine, you have the car I bought you so go!"

"No, that's no longer good enough, I want $xx,xxx.xx so I can leave!" The amount she wanted and the taxes would amount to my entire profit sharing plan.

"You told me if I purchase that car for you and didn't put my name on it, you would leave if you wanted to end the relationship. What changed?"

"Well that's not good enough now, I deserve more!"

"I'll tell you what's changed, you are not only a liar, you're an extortionist now. Take your car and go, otherwise enjoy the rest of your stay here."
 



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.