Romance Fiction posted May 29, 2011 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 14... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Troy speaks with Mr; Keller.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part four Chapter four

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much.
Troy entered The Creative Designs Advertising Agency and walked up to the reception desk where an attractive woman in her mid-twenties sat. "Good afternoon. I need to return this to Mrs. Rodgers. Is she in?" He held up the back of the book with his finger covering information, not wanting to reveal the title until the right time.

"No, she'll be out for a while."

"I'm sorry to hear that." He studied the book. "Is Mr. Keller in? Maybe I could leave it with him."

"Please wait. I'll see if he's available."

Troy watched the petite blonde walk down the short hall and step inside an open door.

After a few moments, she and Mr. Keller walked down the hall and he smiled. "Hello, Mr. Whitman, nice to see you again. You have a book belonging to Mrs. Rodgers?" He led the way to his back office.

"She purchased it a few days ago and accidently left it at a table. You wouldn't know when she'll return to work, would you?"

Mr. Keller scratched his chin. "She called this morning and said she had personal business that needed her attention. She asked for a week, but said she may need a little longer."

"May I leave this with you?" He carefully handed the book to Mr. Keller revealing the title, A Guide to Divorce.

"Oh." After he blew out a deep breath, he continued, "I suspected there were problems, but didn't know things had gotten that bad."

"I only met Mrs. Rodgers twice, both times at the bookstore. She said she was from up north. Somewhere in the Midwest, I think." Troy paused waiting for Mr. Keller to speak. I hope he tells me where she's from.

"Mount Erie. It's a small rural town in upstate Illinois. Not many of them left anymore. Her parents still live there."

"I bet her parents are proud of her success at this advertising agency."

"I think the Whites' would have been happier if their daughter stayed home and raised babies. Most kids, especially daughters, in that area stay close to home. They have Sunday dinner together with all the relatives. It's a different lifestyle from which we have in the city. I grew up with relatives all around. It's not a bad way to be raised."

Mr. Keller answered his phone. He put his hand over the receiver. "I'm sorry. I need to take this."

"Not a problem. I'll leave Mrs. Rodgers' book with you." Troy set the book on his desk. "You can give it to her when she returns." The men shook hands as Troy said, "I hope we can get together sometime for dinner. How about early next month?"

"I look forward to it."

Troy smiled at the receptionist on his way out.

*****
After Troy entered the bookstore, he grabbed his coffee cup from the table. "I need to refresh this." When he returned, he shook his head. "Well Dad, Anna's from Mount Erie, Illinois and her maiden name is White." He took a sip of coffee. "I think I might take a trip up north. If the town's as small as Keller said it is, it should be easy to find her parents and hopefully her."

Paul finished his last bite of pastry. "From what she told me she would never go back home, but it's our only lead."



Recognized


I have only three days left with children, then one day to clean my classroom. I am celebrating because many people didn't believe I would make it through the school. I DID!! Other than doctor's appointments and treatments, I only missed 3 and 1/2 days due to not being able to go to work. I need to thank all my FS family member for the prayers and support. I drew my strength from you, my family, and the loving support of our Lord.

If you are being abused, remember:
You are not to blame for being battered or mistreated.
You are not the cause of your partner's abusive behavior.
You deserve to be treated with respect.
You deserve a safe and happy life.
Your children deserve a safe and happy life.
You are not alone. There are people waiting to help.

What are shelters for battered women?
Shelters for battered women are safe places where victims of domestic violence can live for several months while they get help. There are different types of battered women's shelters. Some are funded by the Department of Children and Families (DCF), and some are run by non-profit organizations. Some are "safe homes" provided by members of the community.

Battered women's shelters are for women and children in immediate danger. All have 24-hour hotlines, and all services are confidential.

Battered women's shelters usually allow stays up to 90 days. Extensions can be granted. Shelters operate on a first-come first-served basis and have strict rules to protect residents (no contact with the batterer, no drug or alcohol abuse, etc.)

National Domestic Violence Hotline - 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) and 1-800-787-3224 (TDD)
Every state has their own hotline number.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.