Romance Fiction posted March 13, 2011 Chapters: 1 -2- 3... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Troy reveals a little about himself.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part Two Chapter One

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much to overcome?
Early the following morning, Anna entered The Creative Designs Advertising Agency door and glanced over her shoulder. Through the window, she watched Troy leave the bookstore and walk across the street. He stood beside a motorcycle. Anna stepped closer to get a better look. Hmm, he rides a Harley. That's one of those fancy ones. He must have money. She sighed and walked to her office. Must be nice.

She booted-up the computer and tried to force Troy from her mind. You're married. You know nothing about him. He's probably married and even if he's not, he's a player. The last thing you need is another man complicating your life.

"Anna, are you finished with the Johnson's Ads?" a male voice called to her.

"I finished them yesterday. I'll bring them to your office, Mr. Keller." She adjusted the sweater sleeve covering her lower right arm, before she entered his office.


As Anna left her boss's office, she glanced at her watch. I'll make these adjustments, then it should be lunchtime. I wonder if Troy's taking a lunch break today.

*****
"Are you looking for this?" Troy held up A Guide to Divorce. A grin erupted across his lips. Her big brown eyes are dangerous. They've already melted my reserve. That auburn hair frames the sprinkle of freckles across her nose.

A healthy pink covered her cheeks as she glanced from the bookshelf toward Troy's voice. "Yes. Thank you for finding it for me."

"I didn't find it. I couldn't decide where to put it, so I purchased it."

"I can't let you do that. How much was it?" She opened her purse.

Troy glanced at the book. "I don't want you to repay me. If you insist, I'll return it."

"I need it," Anna interrupted. She chewed on her lower lip, before she continued, "I'm sorry. My husband and I are going through a difficult time." She reached for the book and quickly covered exposed bruising. "I need to get back to work." She turned.

Troy placed his hand at her wrist and led her toward an empty table. "I don't remember seeing it yesterday. What happened?"

As he pulled out a chair, he glanced toward the in-store deli. "Have a seat. What would you like for lunch?"

"I can't."

"Please sit. I'll be right back with a sandwich."

Troy placed a plate filled with a ham and cheese sandwich, pickle, and chips in front of her. After he sat down, he set her coffee cup in front of her. "Cream or sugar?" She shook her head, so he took a sip of his coffee. "Now, tell me about the bruises."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

He reached over, slightly pushed the sleeve up her arm, revealing the blue and purple finger imprints.

Anna tried to yank her arm away, as he repeated, "How did you get these?"

Their eyes met.

"These are bruises." He pointed to the marks. "I won't pry, but I do care." He watched for a reaction. "Is that why you're reading up on divorce?"

Tears slid from the corners of her eyes. "I can't discuss it."

"I won't force you, but I want you to know anytime you need anything, contact me." He removed a business card from his billfold and set it on the table. "Here are my numbers. I'm available twenty-four/seven."

"You don't know me. Why are you doing this?"

Troy ran his fingers through his short brown hair. "My mother, God rest her soul, was abused by her second husband. He came home drunk one night and started hitting her. I tried to stop him, but he turned his anger on me and beat me. Mom tried to protect me. He struck her with his fist. She fell and her head hit the corner of a table. He kicked her a few times, but she didn't move. I picked up the fireplace poker and hit him several times until he quit moving." Troy paused and released a deep breath.

"I cradled Mom's head and realized he'd killed her. I was ten. The neighbors called the police and this jerk tried to blame me for Mom's death. Mrs. Sorenson, who lived next door, came to my defense. The lawyer got him off with a manslaughter charge. He spent all of two years in jail. The Sorensons reared me."

Anna covered her mouth with her hand. "I'm so sorry."

"Maybe if somebody would've offered to help, my mom would be alive today. You're wearing a gold band and reading a book about divorce." As she closed her eyes, Troy reached across and held her hand. "There's no reason to be ashamed." After he studied her for a few minutes, he asked, "Do you have children?"

Anna opened her eyes and nodded. "If Bobby finds out we had this conversation, I'll be in so much trouble."

"I won't tell him," he interrupted. "Will you?" He watched her shake her head and then he lifted his business card from the table. "Will you take this? I'd feel better knowing you can call someone." He fingered the card. "Do you have a son or daughter?"

"A six-month-old son, Michael."

"If you need to call, he's welcome too. I know you won't leave without him."

Anna stared at the hand covering hers. "I need to get back to work."

He lifted her sandwich. "I think you have time for at least a few bites. I'll get a 'doggie bag'."

*****
Anna watched him walk to the counter. Can he be for real? White knights are only fantasy. She rubbed her eyes. He's still there. Is his story real or is he lying to earn my trust? I'm not a very good judge of men. She released a deep breath and whispered, "I wonder what he really wants."

Troy set the sack on the table and eyed his card. "Please take this." He lifted it from the table and offered it to her.

"Bobby goes through my purse. If he finds it, he'll ask questions."

"Do you have anything he doesn't search through?"

"I hide my birth control pills in my briefcase."

"You hide your pills?" His eyebrows rose.

"Bobby wants more children. I don't want another child. I love Michael, but he deserves better."

"There's no need to explain." He held her chair as she stood. "Can we meet here tomorrow?"

"I guess."

"Good. I'll walk you to the door." After scooting the chair under the table, he picked up the book. "I'll hold this for you. You wouldn't want Bobby to find it."

"Thank you." As she walked through the door, she said, "Good bye."

"Until tomorrow," he said with a smile.



Recognized


For some reason I am not supposed to post today. Everytime I click on save, I lose my post.

Thank you for reading and reviewing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.