General Non-Fiction posted February 21, 2011 Chapters: 6 7 -8- 9... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Poor Puppy - neutered, microchipped and HUNGRY!

A chapter in the book Harley, a Little Dog

Harley's Surgery

by Mustang Patty

Something was really wrong. Harley looked for his food in every corner of the kitchen, but it simply wasn't there. He couldn't find his water dish either. His puppy heart and feelings were hurt. How could they forget to give him food and water?

Morning sounds were starting. Harley heard the soft twitter of the birds along with the barking of the dog next door. Anxiously, he kept a watch out for the Mistress. He knew she would give him some food now. She would fix the mistake made by the Man. He was the one that picked up all the bowls last night. He was a bad Man. The Mistress should not give him any treats and make him lie down on his bed!

Working very hard at being quiet, the Mistress ignored Harley and went directly into the room with the glass doors. He whined softly. Harley knew he wasn't always so sure about the time, so maybe it was early. He went and lay down on his bed. The softness of the cushions wasn't making him happy right now, and it couldn't stop the rumbling in his belly. Where was his food?

His sensitive tulip ears cupped towards the room where the Man slept with the Mistress and the cats. The Man went into the little room with the giant water dish and closed the door. Harley began to get nervous. The man didn't get out of bed until it was time to get up. Usually by the time the Man got up, the Mistress has been in the kitchen to make coffee and cuddle with Harley. Before she left, she ALWAYS gave him his morning food. Why didn't that happen today?

In the background, Harley could hear water running and then the door to the smallest room in the house opened. The Man walked into the room with the glass doors and spoke quietly to the Mistress. Harley wondered if they were being quiet because they didn't want to wake him up. He better let them know he was awake so they could come and feed him!

In his most polite voice, Harley made his presence known. "I'm here. I'm awake. I'm HUNGRY!!"

His ultra-sensitive ears could hear them whispering now. Humans really were silly sometimes. Harley couldn't believe they didn't know he could hear them anywhere in the house, and it didn't matter how low they kept their voices. Simba and Leo seemed to understand the concept of Harley's acute hearing and his very sensitive nose. They understood that Harley always knew where they were in the house. It was the only advantage he had.

Harley could hear them go into their room and start putting on clothes. He was really worried they might leave the house and forget to feed him. His tummy was really rumbling, and he was scared.

Suddenly the Mistress was standing in front of the gate, and she held out his leash and harness. Harley loved to go for walks and he simply assumed they were going to feed him outside. Happily he walked beside the Mistress and was happy to be loaded into the car into his special car carrier. He checked every nook and cranny of the carrier. Was there any food here?

The car ride wasn't very long. As soon as the Mistress opened the door, Harley recognized the smell of the place where the man that liked to look in his ears and take his temperature worked. Harley wagged his little tail. They had food in there - he was sure of it!

At the front desk, the Mistress said good bye to Harley, and one of the ladies took him in the back. It wasn't too long and the poking and prodding man was there. Harley didn't remember too much after that. He was fast asleep.

A few hours later, although to Harley it seemed like just a few moments, Harley woke up in a wire cage. He jumped up to find the food they always left for him, but a few circles around showed him they forgot to feed him, too! Harley knew he smelled different. He started to investigate his bottom where the smell was coming from but he was stopped.

"Harley, you can't lick your stitches. If you look like you are going to, we will have to put a cone on you."

His little face stared at the lady. She was very nice and knew how to scratch behind his ears like the Mistress, but he couldn't understand what she was saying. He started to look for the strange smell again.

"Uh oh, Doctor. I think we better put a cone on him."

Within a few minutes, Harley was taken out of the cage and something was slid across his face and over his ears. He felt something being tied around his neck and when he opened his eyes, he could only see right in front of him. This was very strange. It was bad enough to be so hungry, and now he couldn't even move his head freely. Harley was very sad.

In the most pathetic voice he could find, he whined and barked. He decided that someone would remember to feed him. He was going to get food no matter what it took. It didn't matter about being polite, and he wasn't going to be quiet! "Food, water, my Mistress! Now! Now! Now!"

Harley's incessant barking really got on the nerves of the staff of the Vet's office. After listening to him for an hour, they called the Mistress.

"Patty, Harley's surgery went well. You can come and get him at any time."

"Oh, okay. Um, I thought he had to stay until about three this afternoon."

"Well, normally we keep them until they are wide awake, and it usually takes until about three. Harley is wide awake, and barking his head off. When can you get here?"

"I will be there in about fifteen minutes."

Hanging up the phone, the Mistress just had to chuckle. Harley flew through the surgeries. He was neutered, micro-chipped, and even had a small hernia repaired. He was not just fine - he was 'Harley.'



Recognized


Poor Harley! The worst part of the surgery happened for him BEFORE and AFTER. He couldn't eat from midnight the night before and then I couldn't feed him until 5PM that night. He was so hungry that I couldn't even be in the same room with him. He was angry! All was forgiven after he finally got a meal - just like a dog!
MANY THANKS for my kind and generous critiques: Ramaro and Dave M both made extremely helpful suggestions that are now incorporated. ~p~
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.