Mystery and Crime Fiction posted February 15, 2011 Chapters:  ...16 17 -17- 18... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The DA announces his decision

A chapter in the book The Heir Apparent

The Decision

by Sasha



Background
James's father gets life without parole. Mom and Aunt Em find a house to rent and James decides to go to the cabin with Uncle Mark and Charlie.
Mom was exhausted and wanted to take a nap, but Aunt Em insisted they get out of the hotel.  Too tired to argue, both left to go look at rental houses. Uncle Mark, Charlie, and I were firmly ensconced on the couch in front of the television, waiting impatiently for the six o'clock news. CBS aired my entire speech and the announcer actually described me as spunky and articulate. However, the local stations were apparently not as pleased with what I had to say. I learned later, the press conference was not aired live as originally planned. After editing everything out except the portion where I apologized to the families of the victims, it was finally aired at six-thirty. 

Charlie was furious. "How can they do that? They cut out the best part!" 

Uncle Mark laughed. "It seems they can dish it out but they sure can't take it." 

Charlie was still angry. "They are supposed to report the news, not let their personal opinions get in the way of telling the truth." 

I chuckled. "Boy, have you got a lot to learn, little brother." 

* * * 

Mom and Aunt Em returned well after midnight. Although Mom seldom drank, it was obvious she was not feeling any pain. After announcing they had found a nice little house in a secluded section of Kirkland, both Mom and Aunt Em began laughing and telling silly stories about their childhood. Despite it being a long and stressful day, we stayed up several more hours laughing and talking about things that had nothing to do with Dad or the case. It was the first time since Dad's arrest I felt the possibility that life might actually, at some point, return to normal. I chuckled silently, realizing normal in my family wasn't exactly what I had in mind.  It was definitely time to raise the bar. 

***

Although I was convinced Mr. Hurley knew what Mr. Douglas had decided, when I asked, he gave his usual stock answer. "Sorry, James, I am not permitted to discuss that aspect of the case with you." 

Because my father's plea offer had been a well-guarded secret, the public was completely unaware there was going to be a press conference, let alone the subject of it. Just as we had done the night before, we all sat in front of the television anxiously waiting to hear what Mr. Douglas was going to say. 

Unlike the public who openly expressed their opinion on what they felt was the appropriate punishment for my father, none of us had discussed the subject. I suspected Mom and Charlie were hoping for life in prison but I had no doubt Uncle Mark felt Dad deserved nothing less than the death penalty. While I assumed Aunt Em felt the same way, she would never admit it because I knew she loved Mom dearly . 

Until Dad's arrest, I had always been against the death penalty. I viewed it as cruel and the fear of executing an innocent man weighed heavily on me. However, Dad was anything but innocent. I understood the public's anger and desire for revenge. If anyone deserved the death penalty, it was my father. His crimes were despicable. Yet, the idea of him spending every minute of every day of the rest of his life in a concrete cell, also seemed appropriate. Knowing he would never again see a sunset, walk on the beach, or sit in his favorite chair and watch a movie would be its own form of hell for Dad. 

At precisely twelve-noon every local television station interrupted regular programming to announce the King County Prosecutor had called a special press conference to discuss the John Mathews murder case. My heart started to race, Mom held her breath, and Charlie began to shake. 

Mr. Douglas stood on the top step of the courthouse, exactly where I stood less than twenty-four hours earlier. Dressed in a three-piece brown suit, looking very professional, and composed, he calmly introduced himself. Then, holding a sheet of paper with both hands, he began reading a prepared statement. 

"Over the past several days, my office has spent considerable time discussing a plea agreement with Mr. Mathews and his attorney. As most of you know, Mr. Mathews has been charged with six of the Belltown Murders, and continues to be a person of interest in the remaining unsolved murders. After announcing my decision to seek the death penalty, Mr. Mathews offered to plead guilty to all twelve murders on the condition I take the death penalty off the table and replace it with life in prison without the possibility of parole. After personally speaking with the families of both the solved and unsolved murders, I have decided to accept Mr. Mathews' offer and will not be seeking the death penalty in this case. John Mathews will serve twelve consecutive life sentences without the possibility of parole." 

Cameras immediately began to click and the reporters all started shouting questions at the same time. Mr. Douglas raised his hand and in a very loud voice, asked for silence. 

"Yes, we could have proceeded with original six murders, but in the end, lingering doubts about the unsolved murders would have remained. We are not accepting his plea on face value.  He has been required to answer questions and provide details of the crimes that only the killer would know.  He has answered all our questions to our satisfaction, leaving us with no doubt he is, in fact, the murderer of all twelve young women.  The criminal justice system is and always should be about the search for the truth and it is my belief this agreement was the only route to that end.  Please understand today's decision is not intended to provide mercy for him but to provide closure for the families who have suffered." 

Mom sighed and buried her face in her hands. When Charlie started to cry Aunt Em put her arms around him and tried to comfort him. Uncle Mark turned his head toward me and under his breath, softly whispered, "Mother fucker." 

I remained silent. The shame I felt knowing closure for the families had nothing to do with the reason for my father's plea made me sick to my stomach. At that moment, I realized for the first time that Dad was already dead to me.

He had manipulated the system to get what he wanted just as he had manipulated his victims, family, friends, co-workers, and neighbors. Everyone had an opinion as to what the correct punishment should be, but the decision was not ours to make, and it certainly wasn't Dad's. It was up to the court to decide if he was to get the death penalty or serve life in prison. As far as I was concerned, justice had not been served. 

Despite criticism, the prosecutor continued to defend his decision.  The majority of the public was not happy.

After the press conference, Mr. Hurley informed us Dad was being moved from the high security section of the King County Jail to an undisclosed place for his safety.  Apparently, even criminals have a bizarre sense of justice and serial killers are not as highly regarded, as you would expect.

Although the idea of going to the cabin was still not appealing, I knew Charlie needed to get away from the television and newspapers.  After dinner, I took Uncle Mark aside.

"I think a few days away from all this would be good for Charlie."

Uncle Mark patted me on the back and said, "It would be good for you too, James."

I hated to admit it, but I agreed.




Recognized


James Mathews is not your typical eighteen-year-old boy. He has an IQ of 190 that not only makes him smarter than most adults he knows, it makes developing friends his own age next to impossible. His photographic memory has turned him into a walking, talking library. Waking one day to discover his father is the infamous Belltown Killer, turns James's life into a living hell. He reluctantly becomes friends with Mac, the lead Detective on the case. Together, they discover more unsolved murders and James is faced with the choice of continuing his search for the truth, or simply turning a blind eye.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sasha All rights reserved.
Sasha has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.