Romance Fiction posted January 16, 2011 Chapters:  ...31 32 -33- 34... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Joe and Sara continue to talk.

A chapter in the book Another Pretty Face

Chapter 14; part two

by barbara.wilkey



Background
While Col. Joe Barnes visited his parents, he was reacquainted with Sara, the baby sister of his best friend, Josh. Sara became pregnant during her senior year and raised her daughter, Cassie by herself. Josh was killed during Desert Storm.
BACKGROUND:
At the end of my last post, Sara laid the blanket on the grass. "Joe, are we all right?"
______________________________________________________________________________

Joe set the picnic basket down and took Sara's hands. "As far as I'm
concerned our relationship hit a few rocky bluffs, but it has always been all right." He leaned over and kissed her cheek. "Every relationship hits some rough spots."

"I'm sorry for the rocky bluffs."

"It's not your fault." A breeze blew a strand of hair across her cheek. Joe brushed it behind her ear. "What changed your mind?"

"Dani stopped by before her flight yesterday. She has a way of putting things in perspective, doesn't she?"

Joe laughed. "I should've known Dani couldn't keep her nose out of our business." He shook his head. "If it helped you decide to stay with me, I won't complain."

Sara sat on the blanket, opened the picnic basket, and smiled. "How did you know I love croissants?" She removed items and studied the containers. "I've never had lobster before." She held a container of chocolate dipped strawberries and licked her lips. "I've seen these in the candy store window at the mall. I've always wanted to try one, but they're too expensive."

Joe sat beside her and took it from her. After he opened it, he lifted a strawberry to her lips. "Here, taste."

"But, they're for dessert."

"We can eat in any order you want," he teased.

Their eyes met as she took a bite of the strawberry. "Umm ... it's absolutely delicious." She closed her eyes, enjoying the entire bite.

"When you're ready, there's another bite." Sara ate the rest of the strawberry.

He leaned over and kissed her.

She gulped. "No one has ever treated me special before." While she hesitated, her gaze moved down to the blanket. "Joe, we're complete opposites. You drive a Porche. I drive a dilapidated bug. The money you spent on this lunch would feed Cassie and me for a week and a half."

"You deserve to be treated special." He lifted her chin and looked into her eyes. "What are you really saying?"

"Are you trying to seduce me?" Her cheeks turned pink.

Joe grinned. "As pleasant as that would be, no, I'm not." He paused. "I have a different motive."

I wonder what that motive is? Sara tilted her head.

He grinned. "I'm trying to show you how much I love you, so I can win your heart."

"You live five hundred miles away."

Joe released a deep breath. "True, but I plan on being part of your life. The distance won't stop me treating you --"

"You can't spend the rest of your life buying me flowers and taking me places in limousines," interrupted Sara.

"Why not? I can afford it."

"It's not normal. It only happens in movies and romance novels."

"Doesn't your dad do special things for your mom?"

"Yes, but not two dozen roses."

"He does what he can afford, right?" After she nodded, Joe continued, "I can afford roses, white limousines, and picnic baskets with lobster and chocolate covered strawberries."

"After the newness wears off, you won't feel like doing it anymore and with the distance .... You're in North Carolina."

"I'm in Virginia. Matt moved Task Force 385 to Alexandria about a year and a half ago. We needed to be closer to the action. You've seen Matt and Dani together, right?"

"They seem happily married."

"They are very happy after almost four years of marriage. Matt does special things for Dani, and I'm going to continue doing special things for you." He grinned. "There's no way you can stop me."

She studied the picnic basket. "I guess you're right about that." Her eyes met his. "What if I had decided I didn't want to see you anymore?"

"I love you and I wouldn't have taken no for an answer. I would've just tried harder."

"Has anybody ever told you you're a hopeless romantic?"

"Are you complaining?" He began filling a plate. Once it was full, he offered it to her. "I hope you're hungry."

Sara accepted it. "Do you really believe love can overcome all the obstacles?"

"What obstacles are you talking about?"

"Well, I guess the largest hurdle is Cassie."

"Don't go there," interrupted Joe. "I've proven my devotion to her on numerous occasions. What other hurdles are you concerned about?"

"I don't know what ramifications may come from Roy being identified as Cassie's father."

"None, I've taken care of that situation," Joe said curtly. "What's the next problem you're worried about?"

I wonder what that means? I'd better drop it right now. Sara took three deep breaths. "I'm concerned you only tell me what you want me to know. You leave out what you feel I don't need to know, or you think I can't handle."

Joe took a bite of lobster. "You're right, but you're probably wrong about the reasons. I leave out information because I want you protected, not for any other reason. When it comes to my work, I can't share a lot of it with you because too much knowledge could put you in danger."

"Are you sure the reason is so I won't worry about you?"

"You'd really worry about my safety?" teased Joe, then continued, "You're right. I don't want you to unnecessarily worry."

"But if you're in danger, I don't want to find out by someone coming to my door or calling me saying you're injured or worse."

After thinking about that possibility, Joe said, "You have a point. We can compromise by me agreeing whenever I know I'm going to be in a dangerous situation, I'll tell you. That way you won't have to worry all the time. What's another obstacle?"

So he's willing to compromise. Hummm. "How far is it from White Oak to Alexandria? I know Alexandria's in Virginia, but that's all I know."

"They're a little over five hundred miles apart. Alexandria is in Northern Virginia and sits on the west bank of the Potomac River about six miles below Washington DC."

"You've been all around the world. I've been all around White Oak." She fingered a piece of lobster to avoid his eyes.

"Yes, I've done some traveling and I've dated a few women. We've already had those discussions. I said all I wanted out of life was a loving wife and family, and you decided my past didn't bother you. You agreed to keep it in the past."

"But my life must be boring to you."

"We've discussed that too. Remember the night ...."

"That you brought butter pecan ice cream for dessert and said my life seemed perfect to you?"

"Yes, that night." He paused, before he added, "Do you have any new worries or do you want to repeat things we've already discussed?"

"I don't have very much money."

"Why's that important? In the United States we don't choose our future spouses because of the size of their dowry." Joe took a bite of a croissant.

With pink cheeks, she said, "You're making fun of me."

He kissed her cheek. "I'm sorry. I don't understand why you're concerned about money. I make plenty."

"I'm concerned because I'm a single parent. I cut out coupons for the grocery store, for heaven's sake. I don't want people thinking I fell in love with you for your money. I don't want to be a kept woman."



Recognized


I felt chocolate covered strawberries were a perfect way to begin this post.
I have 29 pages left in this novel. Thank you for sticking by me.
This weeks chemo has kicked my butt, so I hope there aren't too many mistakes in this post. The new drug, Taxol, introduced in Phase 2 depletes your body of iron. So I have added two iron pills and all the iron enriched foods I can find to my diet. So far, my iron count continues to drop. I'm hoping to advoid a blood transfussion.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.