Biographical Poetry posted January 13, 2011 Chapters: 22 -23- 24... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Harley was part of Family Christmas

A chapter in the book Pet Stories

Harley's First Christmas

by Mustang Patty



Background
This is a book about the life and times of Harley Davidson Adams, my Jack Russell Terrier.
Sitting in his doggy playpen, Harley was able to simply look at the tree in the living room. Pretty lights and all sorts of round things graced the branches. It was pleasant to look at. The Mistress had lit some candles that made the room smell good, and for once, the cats weren't taunting him.

Harley liked to spend time in his doggy playpen. He would rather be held by the Mistress all the time, but the playpen was filled with toys and he could run around a bit. The sides were black mesh, and it even had a top so he couldn't jump out, and the cats couldn't jump in.

Harley's sharp ears heard a car door outside. He could hear the low mumbling of the Mistress and the Man talking. They were home! Eagerly, he sat and waited for the front door to open. Unable to control himself, he let out a few excited barks, "Welcome home! Welcome home! I'm so glad to see you."

When the front door opened, the plastic shopping bags came in first. There seemed to be quite a few. The Mistress had several bags in each hand, and so did the Man. Straight to the kitchen went the Mistress, but the Man went back outside.

Soon the kitchen counters were covered with boxes, cans, yummy smelling bags, and one parcel that smelled just lovely. Simba and Leo were sitting next to the playpen watching in awe just like Harley. Where did all this food come from? How would the Mistress and the Man eat it all? Maybe, some of it would be shared with them? No, the Mistress always told them that they did NOT eat people food.

Harley's tulip ears were at attention. He watched every move the Mistress made. He knew that she would come and get him. She always did. And then, it happened. She looked over to his playpen and smiled.

"Are you ready for your dinner, Harley?"

His little stump of a tail wagged in answer. He began to jump up and down and hurl himself against the mesh sides of the playpen. It was time to get out!

The Mistress unzipped the top of the playpen and reached in to pick him up. He snuggled in her arms and strained his neck to lick her face. His tail was wagging so fast, it was hard to see. She crooned to him and kissed his head and put him down on the kitchen floor so she could get him something to eat.

He watched her every move as she scooped some of his food from a can into a small bowl, poured a bit of dry puppy kibble on it, and popped it into the microwave. He heard the soft ding after a few seconds, and then she presented him with his dinner. He could still smell the marvelous parcel on the counter, but his stomach told him to eat what he was given.

"Do you think we got enough food for everyone?" fretted the Mistress.

"I'm reasonably sure that no one will go hungry," laughed the Man.

Within the hour, everything was put away, and the Mistress was busy cooking on the stove. The Man took Harley to play the new game he knew. He chased the blue and white ball all over and always reminded himself to bring it back to the Man so he could throw it again. This was fun, but Harley only really liked the petting and calls of "Good dog," whenever he brought the ball back.

There was a knock on the door. Harley was confused. Both of his people were here. Who could that be? The Man went and opened the door, and in walked four new people, and they were carrying another cat in a black bag. Soon the house was full of noise, hugging, and every time someone went outside, they were bringing in more and more stuff! There were suitcases, bags, boxes, and more food!

For the next two days, Harley heard more laughter, more talking and the love in the room was so real you could almost touch it. Harley passed between the humans all the time. There was always someone to hold him - even while he was sleeping.

The new cat was named Mufasa, and it was obvious Simba and Leo knew him. There was no fighting, only good-hearted chasing and fighting over toys. At one point, the entire living room floor was covered with bits and pieces of wrapping paper, and Harley and the cats tore through it in one of the best chase games ever.

Everyone loved their gifts. Harley got some new toys and a special orange kerchief with his name on it! He got a few new bones to chew, and several squeak toys. He fell asleep with his squeaky bone between his feet. All of his dreams were happy ones.

On the morning of the third day, all of the boxes, bags, and people were packed up. All of the people seemed to be sad, and Mufasa was put back into his black bag. There was lots of hugging, laughing, crying, and talking all at once.

And then, the house was empty except for the Mistress, Harley, Simba and Leo. She came over to him and picked him up. He placed doggy kisses all over her face. Her face tasted different than usual and it was wet. Harley did his best to make all the wet stuff go away and then the Mistress was giggling.

Harley loved that sound. He burrowed into the sleeves of her shirt and gave a contented sigh. Closing his eyes, he said goodbye to his first Christmas.




Recognized


951 Word Count: As many of you know, my family celebrated Christmas on Jan 7 and Jan 8. Harley was SO excited with all the people in the house! (So was I.) We had a great time, and Harley was a big part of the weekend.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.