Romance Fiction posted January 2, 2011 Chapters:  ...29 30 -31- 32... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Chapter 13; part two

A chapter in the book Another Pretty Face

Sara and Dani talk.

by barbara.wilkey



Background
While Col. Joe Barnes visited his parents, he was reacquainted with Sara, the baby sister of his best friend, Josh. Sara became pregnant during her senior year and raised her daughter, Cassie by herself. Josh was killed during Desert Storm.
BACKGROUND:
Joe and Sara have an argument. Joe leaves to get some rest and George comes inside to talk with Sara.

__________________________________________________________________________

"I need a drink of water." George followed Sara inside the house. "Cassie's a good ball player." He reached in the cabinet for a glass. "You and Joe have an argument?"

"Not really."

"Do you need to talk?" He filled the glass with water.

"There's nothing anybody can do." She opened the refrigerator and took out the pitcher of tea. "Joe's changed. He's not the same man I fell in love with." She poured herself a glass. "Would you like some iced tea?"

"Water's fine." He took a drink. "I've known Joe for over twenty years. I'm pretty sure he hasn't changed." He removed the baseball cap and ran his fingers through his short hair. "I don't know what he's done, but I'm sure he did it because he loves you. I don't think that's a serious crime, do you?"

George glanced out the screen door toward Cassie. "I'm taking Cassie to your parents'. I'll stay with her, so you won't need to worry. You need to spend the day thinking about your relationship with Joe. I heard him say he'd be back tomorrow."

"He said he needed some sleep."

"He hasn't slept since ...." He took a drink then studied the calendar on his watch. "Since Thursday night. Your reunion dance was last Friday, right? That was eight days ago."

"You're right. We were out late after the dance and then he came to Cassie's softball game early the next morning. After that, well, you know the rest."

"I'm sure anything that happened today has to do with lack of sleep. I'll be back to take you and Cassie to dinner. All you need to do is to think about where you want your relationship to go." He kissed her cheek.

*****
Sara shielded her eyes as she watched Dani walk up the sidewalk. "I thought you flew home."

"I was seated on the plane, when I realized I had one more thing to do." She sat on the porch swing. "Sit beside me." She tapped the seat next to her.

Sara glanced toward the rental car. "Where's Matt?" I never thought I'd see Dani without Matt.

"He's waiting at the airport, rather frustrated with me right now, but waiting." She laughed. "At least I hope he's waiting. I may need to find my own way home."

Sara played with a strand of hair. "Did Joe call you?"

"I haven't spoken with him since last night, why?" Dani studied Sara's bloodshot eyes. "You've been crying. Did you and Joe have an argument?"

"I washed his dirty clothes and he accused me of searching through his duffle bag. He doesn't trust me."

"You're being ridiculous." Dani reached over and touched Sara's hand. "I'm sure he trusts you."

"Then why was he so upset I did his laundry?"

"I'm not sure, but I'm sure he had a reason."

"He said he was really tired and overreacted."

"He hasn't had much sleep, for what seven or eight nights? It's possible he overreacted."

"What was the one more thing you had to do before you could fly home?" Sara swallowed.

"I needed to make sure you understood how much Joe loves you. You two belong together." Dani looked around. "Where's Cassie?"

"After Joe and I argued, George thought it'd be best to take her to my parents'."

"He's probably right. Did Cassie or Joe tell you about his confrontation with Marc Haines after the softball game?"

"No, what happened?"

"I guess Marc flirted a little too much with Cassie, at least in Joe's opinion. Anyway, he didn't like it and informed the boy Cassie was off limits."

"I wonder why no one said anything."

"I guess because they thought it was taken care of." Dani thought a few seconds. "Cassie told you how Joe protected her during the rescue, didn't she? His only concern was her safety and well-being. He was willing to risk his life in exchange for hers."

"She told me how he gave her his shirt so no one would see her dressed like a slut."

"He protected and respected her innocence." Dani inhaled a deep breath. "I brought these incidences up because I didn't want you to doubt his devotion to Cassie. I'm sure you can think of examples yourself. He'd make Cassie a great step-father."

"There's a lot of wishful thinking in that statement. Joe and I have never talked about marriage. We haven't even known each other two full weeks. Besides, even if we were getting along, which we aren't, we live over five hundred miles from each other." She stood. "Joe would want to have his own children, not a readymade family."

"We just discussed how good Joe is with Cassie." Dani reached for Sara's hand and motioned for her to sit. "Why are you afraid to admit how much you love Joe?"

Sara stared at the street.

"You're concentrating on the dangers of his job and the distance you live apart." Dani paused. "You comment on his action when he discovered who the man was that raped you like it was his standard behavior . Why are you using these excuses to deny your love for him?"

Dani covered her mouth with her hand and her eyes widened. "You're afraid to let yourself fall in love. You're afraid of getting hurt."

Tears streamed down Sara's cheek.

Dani gulped. "When I first met Matt, I was afraid to let myself fall in love. As I look back, I see how foolish I was. I couldn't ask for a better life." She took a deep breath. "I hate the violence and secrecy, but I trust Matt and know he won't let anything happen to me or our children."

Her eyes met Sara's. "I can't guarantee your heart won't get broken. Nobody can predict the future. I know Joe very well and he's a great man. I've repeatedly trusted him with my life and the lives of my children and would do it again."

Dani wiped a tear rolling down Sara's face. "I know he loves you and I feel your heart is safe with him. Please take a chance on love. Don't deny yourself the opportunity to know love."

Sara and Dani were silent as they watched a taxi park at the curb, Matt stepped out, and the taxi left.

As he walked up the sidewalk, he studied both women and turned toward the street. "Maybe I should leave. I'll come back later."

Dani wiped her tears. "Matt, wait." She stood. "I'm ready. Sara, follow your heart. It won't lead you astray. Joe's a wonderful man and I know he'll treat you with the love and respect you deserve."

After giving Sara a hug, she took Matt's hand. "Let's go. Sara needs time alone." Matt opened the rental car door for Dani. Before she sat in the car, she turned toward the house. "Sara, you have a hard decision to make. My prayers are with you."




Recognized


Thank you connied for the lovely rainbow. Rainbows to me are a symbol of hope. I think Sara is forced to take a look at herself and decide what is important in her life.
Thank you for reading.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.