Biographical Non-Fiction posted January 1, 2011 Chapters:  ...31 32 -33- 34... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Harley didn't know what to do

A chapter in the book Pet Stories

Harley meets Simba and Leo

by Mustang Patty

Harley was wide awake and very anxious. Still in the crate, he could smell all kinds of new things. The new face in his life was never very far away, and he was getting used to her voice and smell. He continually stared at her because he wasn't sure what to make of her. Was she going to be the new leader of the pack?  She certainly wasn't a dog like him--but she did remind him of that other face back in his other home.

She put his crate in the front seat of the car and faced the opening towards her. She made the car move with a big wheel, and there was music coming from in front of him and a few other places, too. He didn't want her to know he was studying her, so every time she looked at him, he looked away.

He was starting to feel sleepy. It was nice and warm in the car, and he longed to put his head down, but there were too many new things to smell and look at. She was talking very softly to him. One of the words she kept repeating on a regular basis was 'Harley.' He was starting to think that was probably her name for him. It was okay, and easy to remember. As sleep finally took over, he began to think of himself as Harley.

Waking up in his familiar crate, he didn't feel alarmed, but he did know something was different. The car wasn't moving anymore, and the new face was getting out. Where was she going? Would she come and get him? Would she ever be back? He couldn't help himself, Harley let out a little whine.

Within a minute, the door opened, and he felt the crate being lifted out of the car. She was telling him this was his new home. Home meant warmth, his mother, and all his littermates. His tail began to wag and he was filled with joy. The new face rescued him and brought him back to his mother!

They entered the house, and Harley could smell all kinds of new smells. There was one that was unfamiliar but tantalizing. He couldn't wait to see what it was! His crate was put down in a corner, and the face was at the mesh door. She told him she would open the door, and he could come out when he wanted to.

Harley sat in the crate and let his nose do the initial exploring of this new place. What was that one smell? It was an animal, but it wasn't his mother or his littermates. It smelled different and Harley wanted to find it. Tentatively, he put one paw outside of the kennel. The floor felt warm, so he cautiously brought the rest of his feet and body out. After such a long journey, it felt good to be out of the crate, and he luxuriously stretched his front paws in front of him and arched his back in a giant curve. The stub of his tail began to wag because it felt so good to be free!

Water was running, and the face set some dishes in front of him. He was too excited to eat, but he loved the water. After taking a few mouthfuls, he decided to find out what the strange smell was. It didn't take long because he could see four eyes peering at him from the other side of the room.

Two of the eyes belonged to a big black face covered with fur. The size of this animal was startling because it was bigger than his mother. A long fluffy tail wrapped around its feet, and Harley wanted to grab it and shake it. Sitting next to the big black face was a slender grey face with green eyes. It too stared and watched every move Harley made. The grey fur was pretty, and Harley wanted to get closer.

He walked very slowly with his head up, and his tail held high and wagging. He wanted these new animals to know that he meant no harm - at least not yet. Across the room, he crept with his eyes locked on theirs. Suddenly, he heard a low growl coming from the big black beast.

The growl set Harley into action, and his pace changed to a charge. He ran up to their faces, and was met with a huge black paw. The paw batted at him - hit his face, the top of his head, and then he heard a loud hiss. Within seconds, both animals were gone. They left the room, and he didn't know how to follow them. With his tail hanging down, he walked back to his only friend, the face.

She was humming and softly calling his name. She bent down and picked him up and cradled him in her arms. He gratefully licked the face he now knew was his pal. With a soft sigh, he cuddled in the crook of her arm, and quickly fell asleep. He would get those animals later. Right now, he just needed some shut-eye.

 



Recognized


this was originally posted on January 1, 2011

It took awhile, but eventually Simba would come and play with Harley. Leo was never too sure about the little white and black furball. That first meeting was intense!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.