Romance Fiction posted November 28, 2010 Chapters:  ...24 25 -26- 27... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
More information is revealed.

A chapter in the book Another Pretty Face

Chapter 11; part two

by barbara.wilkey



Background
While Col. Joe Barnes visited his parents, he was reacquainted with Sara, the baby sister of his best friend, Josh. Sara became pregnant during her senior year and raised her daughter, Cassie by herself. Josh was killed during Desert Storm.
When Sara heard the front door slam, she jumped out of bed and stood in the hallway. Something is wrong. She watched Joe walk into the kitchen, and cringed as he slammed the cupboard door.
She heard his voice over the sound of running water. He must've called Matt.

"We wasted another day and we're no closer to finding Cassie than we were yesterday." There was silence, before she heard his voice again. "I know the parents of the five girls we rescued are glad to have their daughters back, but they aren't Cassie. They hadn't met or even knew of her, so they weren't any help."

Joe's last statement brought tears to her eyes as she continued to listen. "Is Dani working on the information the girls gave us about the virgin video?" There was a brief silence, before Joe spoke. "So what Dani found indicated the video hasn't been made?" Sara heard a fist hit the counter, then Joe's voice. "Are you telling me they're going to air a live rape?"

Sara struggled hearing Joe's voice so she stepped closer to the kitchen. "They're taking young girls, barely in their teens, drugging them, then allowing older men to have sex with them. In my book, that's rape. We need to find Cassie fast. Has Dani discovered a date set for this public virgin raping?"

During the next silence, Sara stepped into the kitchen sobbing. "Please, Joe, find Cassie!"

Joe shoved his phone inside his pocket, held Sara, then kissed her forehead. "I'm sorry I woke you. I should've been more careful. You didn't need to hear that conversation."

When her tears lessened, he led her to the bedroom. "Lie down and I'll hold you."

"I won't be able to sleep."

"I know. Maybe you can get some rest."

Sara cuddled into Joe's arms and chest while tears streamed down her cheeks.

*****
Sara had been asleep for a while, when Joe glanced at the alarm clock. It's already three o'clock. Five-thirty will be here shortly. His heart sank at the thought of Cassie being drugged and her virginity taken in front of a camera for all the perverts of the world to witness.

He got out of bed and watched Sara's restless sleep. I'm sure her dreams are nightmares about the torture Cassie may be enduring.

After he shut the bedroom door, he walked into the living room. He took his shirt off, wadded it up, and threw it into a chair. Grabbing his stomach, he tried stopping the pain he'd become accustomed to since Cassie's abduction.

It was his job to protect the women he loved and Cassie was Sara's daughter. He slammed his fist against the door, fearing everything Cassie could be going through was his fault.

"Joe?"

He turned. "I woke you again, didn't I?"

"I can only sleep a few minutes at a time." She walked to him, reached up, and touched his cheek. "It's not your fault Cassie's missing."

"If you mean I didn't have anything to do with the actual abduction, you're right. But I should've kept both of you safe."

"How could you have known Cassie was stalked on the Internet?"

"I was suspicious when she told me about the chat rooms. I should've followed my instincts and she'd be sleeping safely in her bed." He glanced toward the empty bedroom.

Sara put her arms around Joe. "I don't blame you for any of this. If I would've been a better mother, I would've known who my daughter was instant messaging."

"I guess there's enough guilt to go around." He kissed her forehead. "All we can do now is pray we find her before anything else happens."

Sara leaned against him and kissed him.

He gulped, not sure how to respond.

"I'm sorry." She paused. "You're always there for me. I thought maybe once I could be there for you."

He took her hands in his and stroked them with this thumb. "Never apologize for trying to make me feel better. Your kiss surprised me. That's all. I know you're working through some concerns about our relationship."

He answered his ringing cell phone, listened, and then sighed. "Something's come up. The men are on their way." He stared at the phone. "Why is it whenever we start discussing our relationship something interrupts us?"

"I don't know." She hesitated as she watched him take a shirt from his black duffle bag and put it on. "Mom says good things never come easy."

"Let's hope your mom's right," he interrupted, buttoning his shirt. "I'm sorry I let you see how worried I am about Cassie. I should be comforting you; not the other way around." He turned toward her.

She put her hand on his arm. "I don't blame you for anything and I wish you'd stop blaming yourself."

He studied her hand and then sighed. "I want to bring Cassie back unhurt. Unhurt isn't the right word. I want to return her unblemished. Exactly like she was when she walked out that door Saturday afternoon." He pointed toward the front door. "I love you very much and I keep thinking if I get Cassie back our relationship will survive."

He heard a car on the street and walked toward the door. "I know that's selfish, but I don't want to lose you. Joe watched her glance at the floor. "When I told you I loved you, you couldn't even look at me."

"Joe ...." She hesitated, before continuing, "I ...."

As he watched tears roll down her cheeks, he swallowed. "If I didn't know you better, I'd swear you were using your tears to avoid telling me we're finished."

He wiped a tear from her cheek. "You know your tears melt my heart." As a car parked in front of the house, he took her hand and rubbed her little finger. "I need to leave. When Cassie's home safely ...."

George jogged to the house. "Joe, you need to hurry. Everybody's in place. They're waiting for your instructions."

Joe stared at Sara. "There'll be time for you to examine your heart and see if there are any remnants of love for me." He turned and walked toward the car.

Sara watched him exit the house and walk to the waiting car before she said under her breath. "Joe, I do love you."



Recognized


StevnDutton, thank you for the artwork, Stitched. I think it shows perfectly how hearbroken Sara is about Cassie missing and about her relationship with Joe.
I want to thank my fans for taking time to read my post and I trust all of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
I survived round three of chemo, I think.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.