Romance Fiction posted November 7, 2010 Chapters:  ...21 22 -23- 24... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Dani returns Cassie's computer

A chapter in the book Another Pretty Face

Chapter 10; part one

by barbara.wilkey



Background
While Col. Joe Barnes visited his parents, he was reacquainted with his best friend's baby sister, Sara. Sara became pregnant during her senior year and raised her daughter, Cassie by herself. His best friend, Josh, was killed during Desert Storm.
CHAPTER TEN
Tuesday Morning
6:00 A.M.

When Sara heard the front door open the following morning, she raced toward it. "Joe, did you find Cassie?"

George rubbed the back of his neck. "Sorry. It's only me."

"Joe received a call last night and left." She lifted the pillow and blankets from the couch. "It doesn't look like he came back. Do you know if he's all right?"

"Joe's fine. The men have been monitoring a house since last night. He felt his presence was necessary." He reached into his pocket and took out some folded bills. "But he wanted me to give this to you. He wants you to buy some curtains and a bedspread that'll match the lilac walls. Want to go shopping?"

She glanced at the clock. "It's too early. The mall doesn't open until ten. We have four hours to waste." She scanned the living room walls. "I have one 'peppermint vinca' wall, one 'angel food', and two 'so soft lilac' walls." She titled her head and put her hands on her hips. "I'm ready for four 'peppermint vinca' walls."

She turned and studied George. "Why did Joe pay for curtains and a bedspread?"

"He didn't go into details. My guess is he cares and hopes it'll help in some way."

"Joe's a good man, isn't he?"

"He is." He shook the blue paint can. "Are you ready to finish painting the living room?"

Sara watched George remove the lid. "I'm not sure I can accept money from Joe."

George chuckled. "You're the first woman I've met who doesn't think she can accept money from a man." He paused. "I'm sure if you try really hard you can force yourself."

She put the paint roller in the pan. "If I accepted it, would I be considered a kept woman?"

George tossed a paint rag toward her. "No, you wouldn't be a kept woman." He shook his head. "You're being ridiculous."

Sara took a few steps toward him. "If you're sure it'll be all right, we'll go shopping after we finish this room." She put the paint roller against the wall and started painting. "Please don't tell Joe about this conversation."

"I won't." He chuckled.

*****
When they returned from the mall, George sat on the couch and stared at the freshly painted walls. "I like the living room this color. You did a good job choosing it."

"Think Cassie will like it?" She sat beside him.

"I'm sure she'll love it. It brightens the room. There's just enough blue that it softens the white." He glanced toward the kitchen. "Are we tackling the kitchen or the bedroom next?"

She studied the two bags sitting on the dining room table. One filled with curtains and the other one filled with the new bedspread. "The bedroom's next." She stood to answer the door.

Dani smiled and hugged her. "How you holding up?"

Matt stood behind Dani, holding Cassie's computer. "Can I put this down, or am I supposed to hold it on the front porch all day?" he teased. "It's heavy."

Sara stepped aside, knowing as strong as Matt was he could hold it all day and it would never be heavy. She watched Matt bend over the table to plug in the computer. "You don't need to do that. I'm not sure I'm ever going to allow Cassie near another computer."

"It's not the computer's fault. She was naive and never suspected anything liked this could happen." Dani took Sara's hand. "This man's an expert at fooling unsuspecting teenage girls, but we'll find him."

"Before he hurts Cassie?"

"He's had to move Cassie so often he hasn't had an opportunity to ...." Matt paused, interrupted by his cell phone.

Sara led Dani to the living room and they sat on the couch. After they discussed the freshly painted walls, Dani asked, "Has your relationship with Joe withstood this ordeal?"

"I think so, but I'm not sure. He says his feelings for me haven't changed. Do you think he's just saying that because I'm upset about Cassie and he doesn't want to add to my stress?"

"I think his feelings for you haven't changed. I didn't think his feelings were ever in question. I thought it was the other way around. You weren't sure how you felt about him."

"When we're together, I feel everything will work out and life will be perfect, then he leaves and reality sinks in. It's not so perfect, as matter of fact it's lousy. Add that to my own doubts about his life, and I haven't been very pleasant to be around. I'm afraid once he has time to think about everything he'll decide he was wrong about me."

"If it makes you feel better, I've talked with Joe daily and some days more often. We center around the computer, but your name finds its way into our discussions. I've had no indication his feelings for you have changed." Dani took Sara's hand.

Sara noticed George and Matt walk into the kitchen. She gulped before she asked, "It's getting more dangerous, isn't it?"

"Yes. The Task Force men are about to crack open the largest child pornography ring in the US. People from around the world buy these Internet videos."

"How can this happen? Isn't the Internet policed?"

"It's so large it's impossible to police. Legitimate companies take the orders and credit card payments, then forward the orders to the porn sites. Once the order's filled the money's placed in legitimate bank accounts."

"Don't these companies know perverts are ordering child pornography?"

"No, they only take a product number. They have no idea what that number stands for."

"Are there pictures of Cassie on the Internet?"

Swallowing first, Dani answered, "Not yet. I constantly check the sites and Cassie's nowhere on them. Like Matt said, we've put so much pressure on them they've been forced to move her."

"If our men get too close, won't they kill Cassie?"

Matt walked into the living room. "That's a possibility, but we're taking every precaution so it doesn't happen." He pushed his sleeves to his elbows. "If we didn't pressure them, they could take Cassie out of the country and we'd never find her."

As Matt answered his cell phone, he stepped into the kitchen. When he finished talking, he motioned for George to join him.

Sara watched the men talk and noticed how their demeanor changed. Their expressions turned stern as their jaw lines became more evident and their eyes darker. The veins on Matt's neck slowly popped out one at a time. George glanced toward Sara as he reached on top of the refrigerator for his shoulder holster and gun.

After Sara swallowed, she looked at Dani. "What happens now?"

"I don't know, but I'm sure you're safe."

"I'm not worried about me. I'm worried about Cassie and the men."

Sara noticed the harshness of Matt's demeanor change, as he walked toward Dani. She wondered if she could have the same affect on Joe.

Matt offered his hand to help Dani stand. "We need to leave. I'm needed at Task Force and you're needed on the computer." After she stood, he slid his arm around her waist and squeezed. "Our flight leaves in thirty minutes."

Following them toward the door, Sara said, "Thank you for everything."

Dani turned and hugged her. "I'll call tomorrow, but if you need anything, call me. Okay?"

As Dani and Matt walked toward the car, Sara watched until the car was out of sight. She turned toward George. "What's going on?"

"There's movement. We're not sure if it's good or bad. Are you ready to paint your bedroom?" He picked up the lilac can of paint and shook it. "Do you think we need to take it to the hardware store and get it shook?"

"It looks like you're doing a good job." She put her hand on his. "What are you trying to protect me from?"

"Honestly, nothing. We know nothing. We're concerned about a few things, but don't know how it's going play out or if it's going to effect us at all."

After swallowing, she studied his eyes. "I'll trust you to be honest with me." She stared at his shoulder holster. "How are you going to paint ...," she touched it, "with this?"

"There's a slim possibility they'll come after you. I'd rather not take any chances."

Not wanting to think about that possibility, she dropped it. "Let's start painting."




Recognized


Thank you thehammer for the perfect artwork, 'the silent hunt'. Again I want to thank all my fans for sticking with me. I appreciate each one of you.
My second chemo treatment is Thursday, so we'll see what next weekend holds for my posting. I will try, but won't make any promises.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.