Romance Fiction posted September 26, 2010 Chapters:  ...15 16 -17- 18... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cassie's father is revealed.

A chapter in the book Another Pretty Face

Chapter 7; part two

by barbara.wilkey



Background
While Col. Joe Barnes visited his parents, he was reacquainted with his best friend's baby sister, Sara. Sara became pregnant during her senior year and raised her daughter, Cassie by herself. His best friend, Josh, was killed during Desert Storm.
Sara and her parents sat around the dining room table and jumped at every sound, praying Cassie would walk through the front door with some ridiculous story. Sara knew she'd pretend to be angry, but would be relieved to see her daughter.

When Mark, Sara's father, answered a knock, Roy Moore and his brother, Chip, entered. Chip, the county sheriff, glared at Sara. "That new boyfriend of yours called and said Cassie's missing."

Mark shook his head. "Sara doesn't have a new boyfriend. He's Joe Barnes. He was born here and graduated from the same high school you did."

"Daddy, it's not important," interrupted Sara. "Cassie was at Angela's this afternoon. She was supposed to go from there to The Burger Palace, but never made it. Nobody's seen her since she left Angela's. Did Joe find more information?"

Roy, the city police chief, stepped closer to Sara. "Barnes said something about a white SUV, but we all know Cassie's just shacked up with some boy, like you used to do when you were young." He chuckled. "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, does it?"

Sara reared back and slugged him in the jaw. "How dare you."

Roy rubbed his cheek. "Chip, arrest her for assaulting an officer of the law."

As Chip grabbed Sara's arms and pulled them behind her, Joe stepped in the doorway. "Get your hands off the lady." He grabbed the front of Roy's shirt and threw him against the wall. Joe's right forearm pressed against Roy's throat. "Don't ever insult Sara again."

After slugging Roy in the stomach, Joe glared into his eyes. "After you intentionally spiked Sara's punch, you raped her. You've participated in and allowed the townspeople to chastise Sara for over fourteen years. You're lucky the statute of limitations for rape lasts only seven years." Joe slugged him in the rib cage.

Roy screamed in pain, "Chip, do something."

"The way I figure it, you owe Cassie somewhere around fifty-thousand dollars in back child support. Who knows what it'll come to with fourteen years of interest added on, but it should be enough to pay for Cassie's college."

Chip stood behind Joe. "Roy, is it true? Are you Cassie's father? Was Sara a victim of date rape? If this is true you deserve a beating."

As Sara hid her face against her dad's chest, both her parents put their arms around her. Her father stared down at her. "Sara, is Joe telling the truth? Is that how it happened?"

Through her tears, she whispered, "Yes."

Overhearing Sara confirm the truth, Joe continued slugging Roy.

Matt Patterson walked through the front door and grabbed Joe. "Joe, he's not worth it." He glanced at Roy. "You must be the man who raped Sara."

Sara, Mark, and Linda, Sara's mother, stared at the large man who just walked through the front door.

Matt looked at Chip. "I suggest you get this man out of here, before Joe kills him. I'd kill any man who victimized the woman I love. I know Joe well enough to know he'd do the same, especially someone who allowed her to be treated as an outcast for almost fifteen years."

As Chip led Roy from the house, Matt walked over to Sara. "Hi, I'm Matt Patterson. You must be Sara Riley." He extended his hand. "I'm glad to finally meet you." After he kissed her cheek, he added, "I'm sorry it's under such horrible circumstances." He glanced toward the door. "My wife, Dani, will be in shortly. She's calling her mom to check on the kids."

When Joe walked up to Matt, they shook hands and put one arm around each other's back. Joe released a deep breath. "Thank you. As usual, you show up at exactly the right moment. I hope you had a good flight." He walked over to Sara and took her hands in his. "I'm sorry."

"How did you ...?" she whispered.

"I figured it out when I discovered you had a great right hook." He started to put his arms around her, but stopped when she stepped back. "I've scared you, haven't I?"

Dani walked in the front door. "Matt, will you talk to Drew? He won't go to bed for Grandma until he says good night to his dad." She held her cell toward him.

Sara stared at Dani and Matt. Dani's photograph didn't do her justice. She was gorgeous and petite with long, black hair. Matt was handsome and huge. She sighed as she scanned his frame. He must be close to six and a half feet tall and she's shorter than me. Noticing Joe hug Dani and whisper something to her, she wondered if violence was a way of life for him.

Dani held out her hand to Sara. "I'm Dani Patterson. I'm glad to meet you."

After shaking hands, Dani continued, "Joe's told me so much about you. I'm here because I'm the Task Force's computer hacker. That's how I met Matt. Joe's worried Cassie met someone on-line and asked me to check the computer." She glanced toward the kitchen. "Could I have a drink of water before I start?"

"Sure." Sara led Dani into the kitchen where she filled a glass with ice, then water.

Dani took a drink. "I'm sorry I hit you with so much information. I like getting formalities out of the way. That way we can start our friendship."

Dani smiled at Sara. "Joe and Matt have been friends since their freshman year at West Point. Joe calls Matt daily, so he's already told us about you and Cassie. I'm glad he found somebody as special as you."

Sara brushed hair from her face. "Everything's happened so fast with Joe. I felt like I knew him, but now I'm not sure."

Dani set the glass on the counter. "I know we just met, but Joe loves you. That makes us family. I can already tell why he fell so hard for you so fast. He's told me you're very straightforward. I can tell by your eyes you need to talk, and not to your mother, right?"

As Sara nodded, moisture filled her eyes.

"What's bothering you, besides not knowing where your daughter is?"

Sara took a glass from the cabinet, filled it with ice and water, and then took slow sips. "Would Joe have killed Roy?"

"I don't know." She chewed on her lower lip. "Task Force men are trained to kill, but only when the situation warrants. If someone hurt a loved one, I believe they're capable of killing. If Cassie's hurt and Joe or Matt finds them, I'm confident they'll kill that person."

Sara, afraid to ask the next question, hesitated. "What if Cassie or I make Joe angry? Would he hurt us?"

Moisture entered Dani's eyes. "Never. Matt, Joe, or any of the Task Force men aren't capable of hurting loved ones or innocent people."

"Is there a switch they flip to turn their anger on and off? How can they control it?"

Matt called, "Dani, did you forget about the computer? I told our pilot we wouldn't be here long."

"Just a minute," she answered before saying to Sara, "When Matt recruits for the Task Force, he looks for special qualities. One of the qualities is they must act like gentlemen at all times. They need to be men of strong character."

Dani put her hand on Sara's arm. "I know you just met me, but please trust me on this. Joe isn't capable of hurting you or Cassie." She glanced toward the computer. "I'd better get started."




Recognized


Thank you again, mirrorman for allowing me to use 'Predator' again. I, again to thank my FS family for the prayers and well wishes. The extra breast tissue and lymph node removed and biopsied on the 16th showed no additional cancer. Now, in Oct I start chemo, then radiation, and finally hormonal therapy to make sure the cancer doesn't return. Thank you, I am sure the doctor's were complaining about lack of space, with all of you by my side.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.