General Fiction posted August 30, 2010


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Contest Entry (a bit long - but worth it!)

Hey Mister

by fionageorge

Grr...That Little Brat.... Contest Winner 










“Hey, mister, can I pat your dog?” Dark brown eyes, partly hidden beneath a grubby cap, look up at me.
 
“It isn’t my dog, kid. It’s my sister’s dog,” I say and keep walking.
 
“Are you dog sitting? What kind of dog is he?”
 
What a pain. That’s all I need; a kid who can’t take a hint.
 
“Look, kid, I'm not dog sitting, I'm taking the dog for a walk because my sister’s in hospital. Now scram.”
 
His dark eyes stare at me as if he’s wondering what kind of monster I am.
 
“Is your sister really sick? I have a sister. Do you want me to say a prayer for your sister?” He takes the cap off his head to reveal a head of dark curly hair. “I bet you’re real worried ‘bout your sister, and that’s why you’re grumpy.”
 
“I am NOT grumpy!”
 
“I like your dog, can’t I just pat him? What’s his name?”
 
This kid’s not gonna let up. His parents should teach him some manners.
 
“He is a she, and her name is Mia. Now, why don’t you go home to your mother and annoy her?”
 
“I don’t have a mother, she died.”
 
Oh, God, now what do I say?
 
“I’m sorry, kid. Well, go home to your daddy. He’s probably worried about you by now.”
 
“Nah, my dad died too.”
 
His sad little face is starting to get to me, and curiosity is getting the better of me.
 
“So, who do you live with?” He must live with someone, he looks healthy and well fed; just a bit grotty and he has a snotty nose.
 
“I live with a foster family. But they don’t really care if I come home or not. So I stay out as long as I can.”
 
We’re walking through the park by now. “What’s wrong with your sister, mister? My little sister’s somewhere else, with another foster family. Since Mummy and Daddy were killed I haven’t seen her. I wish I could see her, I miss her heaps. Is that why you’re looking after your sister’s dog, ‘cause you love her?”
 
Oh, God, I don’t know what to tell this kid. He’s sure had a tough time of it.
 
“Yeah, I love her. And, yeah, you’re right, that’s why I’m walking her dog. I live with her. She’s the only family I have.”
 
“I hope she gets better, mister. Can I please pat your sister’s dog?”
 
I sit down on a bench, and the little guy sits down next to me.
 
“Yeah, I suppose, if you want. She likes to be rubbed behind her ears,” I say, in a not-so-grumpy voice. Jeez, this kid’s getting to me.
 
His face lights up and he gives me a big smile, then he bends over and tentatively pats Mia’s back. He moves both his hands to her ears and gently scratches them. Mia’s tail wags so fast, I think it might drop off.
 
“Her fur’s nice and soft, isn’t it?” he says, without looking up. “My name’s Brody. My sister’s name is Ami. Ami has soft hair, just like Mia. Hey, mister, that’s funny, isn’t it?”
 
“Stop calling me mister. My name’s Colin. What’s funny?”
 
“That the dog’s name is Mia, and my sister’s name’s Ami, ‘cause the names use the same letters. M I A and A M I. And this little dog reminds me of my little sister, ‘cause they both have curly hair and brown eyes.”
 
“Dogs don’t have hair, dogs have fur. How long since your parents died?” Now, why did I ask that question?
 
“Nearly two years ago, they were killed in a car accident. I was in the car with them, and so was Ami, but we wasn’t hurt, ‘cept I had a broken arm. But Mummy and Daddy, they looked really bad, and then the people told me they had gone to heaven.”
 
“Didn’t you have any aunts or uncles who could look after you?”
 
“Nope. We didn’t went home again. We went to the hospital, and then we had to talk to this lady who said we was gonna be fostered out. And then I didn’t see my sister anymore. I’ve been to three foster homes. Is your sister very sick?”
 
“She was, but she’s getting better. She should come home from the hospital in a few days.”
 
He squats down and continues to pat Mia.
 
There’s something about this kid. He’s getting under my skin. Why would they split him and his sister up? Surely they could find a foster family who could take them both in? Poor little mites. Stop thinking like that, you idiot! Next you’ll get emotionally involved.
“How old are you, Brody?” I ask him.
 
“I’m nine. How old are you?”
 
Well, he’s not backward in coming forward.
 
“I’m twenty-six.”
 
“Do you have any kids?”
 
“No, I don’t. There’s just my sister, and her dog and me.”
 
“Oh... Guess I better go home, otherwise I mightn’t get any dinner if I’m late.”
 
“Yes, you’d better, wouldn’t want you to go hungry.”
 
“See you ‘round, Colin.” He smiles at me, gives Mia another pat, and then turns and runs from the park.
 
I watch him until he’s out of sight. Mia’s up on her haunches, trying to get my attention. I absent-mindedly scratch her ears as I’m transported back in time.

 
* * * * * *

 
I was twelve and Jenny was ten when we were told we were adopted. Our parents always treated us different to the other three kids. They were older than us and attended private school, while we attended public school. When I asked why, I was told, ‘because’.
 
I had good grades, and I played a mean game of footie. Jenny was a sickly child, in and out of hospital. Sometimes I saw her when she was in hospital, and sometimes I wouldn’t. The hospital was quite some distance from our house, and Ma and Pa said they didn’t have time to visit all the time. They were too busy running Daniel, Jimmy and Sonya to and from their sports and school.
 
“I don’t understand why you don’t go and see Jenny when she’s sick. I want to see her!” I yelled one day. I’d asked to go and see Jenny, as I hadn’t been to see her for nearly a week. “If one of the other kids was in hospital, you’d go and visit them every day, I’ll bet! Why don’t we visit Jenny?” I cried.
 
“Because you’re not our kids! Only by law; we adopted you, that’s why.”
 
Well, that shut me up. I looked at Pa with shock. I looked like the other two boys, but Jenny was different to all of us.
 
“Well, I wish you didn’t adopt us! You don’t treat us the same, and I wish I wasn’t your kid!” I shot my mouth off without thinking.
 
“Nobody else would have taken you in! With a father like yours, and your mother a drunk, you’re bloody lucky we took you in and adopted you!”
 
“What was wrong with my dad? And where is my real mother?” I sobbed, trying to make sense of what was being thrown at me.
 
“Your dad’s locked up for life. He raped and murdered a young girl. And your mother, well the less said about her the better. She was always drunk, didn’t even feed you kids half the time. She took off when your father was jailed. We were the only family you and Jenny had, Colin, and don’t you forget that. We took you in and treated you as our own,” Ma yelled.
 
“Why? You’ve never treated us the same as the others!” By now I’d lost any semblance of control.
 
“With a father like yours, you’ll probably end up like him. And Jenny, she’s the spittin’ image of your mother. She’ll probably turn out like her. I’m not proud to know I have a rapist and murderer for a brother,” Pa said in a deadly quiet voice. “You’re bloody lucky we took you in, so show some gratitude. Now go to your room until you learn to keep your mouth shut.”
 
I went upstairs and threw myself on my bed. I tried to take in everything I’d been told, but my twelve-year-old brain struggled to comprehend. I didn’t go down for dinner that evening, and no-one came and got me.
 
I thought about running away, but where would I go? And what would Jenny do without me to stand up for her? I didn’t sleep that night. I wondered if I should try to find my mother, but I came to the conclusion if she had wanted to find us, she would’ve done so. She would know where we were, as we had been with my dad’s family the whole time. I was smart enough to know that our surnames would be the same as before, as Pa and my dad were brothers.
 
When Jenny came home from hospital, I told her about our adoption. I didn’t tell her everything, as I thought she was too young. I told her our mum and dad had died, and that Pa was dad’s brother.
 
When I turned eighteen I got a job and a small apartment, and Jenny moved in with me. Ma and Pa never asked her to come home. She was only sixteen, and still attended school. She took a part-time job, and between us, we managed.
 
When I was twenty, and Jenny eighteen, I told her about our parents, and I told her I had vowed never to get married or have children. I had built up a fear I may have inherited my dad’s bad genes. I didn’t want kids to suffer like we had. Jenny too, said she wouldn’t get married or have kids. We had each other.
 
I think some people thought we were a couple, and we didn’t say otherwise. It was easier that way. We were private people, and enjoyed each other’s company. Jenny was still sickly and in and out of hospital.
 
Although I didn’t particularly like dogs, Jenny did. During one of her trips to hospital I bought Mia. I must admit I did take to her. She was a cute little ball of white fluff. A Maltese Terrier, she had a lovely temperament, and Jenny adored her. She lavished all the love she had on Mia. The puppy became her baby.
 
I had a couple of girlfriends, but if they got serious, I shied away quickly. I couldn’t get close to anyone. They wanted to know my history, and I wasn’t willing to share my family shame, and my fear that I might be like my dad. Jenny and I never drank alcohol in fear we might have inherited that gene from our mother.
 
Life settled down. I went to work each morning and came home each night, where Jenny would have a meal waiting if she wasn’t in hospital. But I was a good cook, and looked after the meals when Jenny wasn’t well enough. I took her meals into her soft and feminine bedroom, all pink and white. She had never quite grown up, and like me, was afraid of romantic involvement.
 
We didn’t have anything to do with kids, and I didn’t want to. Sometimes we’d go to the theatre or a movie. Other times we’d eat a meal out. Apart from that, our lives were simple.

 
* * * * * * *

 
“Hey, Colin, I forgot my cap. Did I leave it here? Oh, there it is, on the ground. Jeez, I’d get into big trouble if I lost it.”
 
“Won’t you get in trouble for being home late? It’s starting to get dark. It’s not safe to be out on your own in a big city like this. You need to be careful.”
 
“Nah, I’m used to it. They don’t care, and nothin’s ever happened to me. I won’t get into trouble, I just won’t get dinner.”
 
“Why don’t I walk you home? It’d be safer that way,” I say as I stand up.
 
Brody looks at me with those haunting eyes. “Can I take Mia’s lead?”
 
“Okay, if you want. But be careful, she does try to run away sometimes. Make sure you put the lead around your wrist,” I warn him.
 
We don’t speak for a couple of minutes, but I watch the joy on his face as he makes sure the lead doesn’t get tangled around Mia’s little legs. We pass a take-away. “Why don’t I buy you something to eat, Brody? What do you like?”
 
“Wow! Really? Oh, I don’t know ...” His eyes are agog at the choices.
 
We both settle for a hamburger with the lot and a drink of coke. I smile at the sight of Brody trying to wrap his mouth around the huge bun, his eyes like saucers. Sauce drips down his chin and onto the table.
 
“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to make a mess,” he says, contrition in his voice.
 
“Hey, that’s alright, mate. You can’t eat a hamburger without making a mess, it’s part of the deal.” I smile at him again. I can feel my face cracking – I think I’d forgotten how to smile.
 
“Why don’t you have any kids?” he says out of the blue. “You’re like my dad, ‘cept you’re younger. But you’re nice like my dad was. He tried to sound grumpy sometimes, but he really loved me and Ami.”
 
“I don’t think I’d be a good dad.” My voice breaks, and I turn my head so he can’t see the tears fill my eyes. A lump in my throat threatens to choke me, and it’s not the hamburger.
 
“What’s the matter? Are you sad?”
 
I can’t answer the little guy. For the first time in fourteen years, I feel something. But I’m not sure what it is I’m feeling.
 
He stands up and wraps his arms around my shoulders. “It’s okay, Colin, I cry sometimes too. It makes me feel better,” he says, as his hands softly pat my back.
 
He lets go after a while. I bend over and wrap my arms around him and rest my head on his shoulder. “Thank you, Brody, thank you,” I whisper.
 
“What for? I didn’t do nothin’,” he says, looking nonplussed.
 
“Oh, yes you did. But I don’t think I’ll ever be able to explain.”
 
I pay the account, untie Mia’s lead from the parking meter and feed her the piece of hamburger I’d saved. Brody holds the lead again, then takes my hand with his free hand. Tears threaten to spill again. His hand feels good.
 
“This is where I live,” he says and hands the lead back to me.
 
Mia whimpers and jumps up on him. He laughs and gives her a hug. He waves at me before closing the door behind him.
 
I feel a skip in my step I have not felt for years. “Come on, Mia, let’s run home. I want to go and see Jenny.” Mia runs ahead of me, pulling me along. I laugh aloud at her pleasure.

 
* * * * * *

 
“Jenny, how are you?” I give my sister a kiss on the cheek.
 
“I’m feeling much better. What’s got into you? I would swear you were smiling when you walked through the door.” Her soft voice lifts my spirits further.
 
“Sis, you won’t guess what happened to me today. I cried. I really cried. Isn’t that wonderful?” I smile at her.
 
“You’re happy you cried? What on earth made you cry, big brother? Mmmm? Did you find a special lady?” she teases.
 
“No, much better than that. Oh, Jenny, I know I would never do what our dad did. I saw myself through a little boy’s eyes, and I liked what I saw. I think I am able to love, really love kids, I would never abuse them. And I know I will make a wonderful dad one day.” I start to cry again.
 
“I have never doubted your goodness, brother, never!” Jenny holds out her arms and lets me cry on her shoulder. When I lift my head, she’s crying too.
 
“Jenny, I have a proposition for you. I don’t know if it is possible yet, but I would like to look into adopting a couple of little kids.”
 
“Two? What’s got into you? Why two – why not one?” She laughs. “You never do things by halves, do you?”
 
“There’s a little boy who stole my heart today. And somewhere he has a little sister. Oh, Jenny, you should see him. You’ll just fall in love with him. He reminds me of me. What do you think, Jen? Will you support me in this?”
 
“It’s a big thing you’re thinking of taking on. Are you sure? Who is this little boy? Where would you start?” Her questions come fast, the excitement in her face reflecting mine.
 
“He loves Mia, and he has the cutest smile, but he’s sad. He lost both his parents in a car accident. He’s in a foster home. He has a little sister somewhere, and they need to be together, just like we always were. We can do this, you and I. We’re good people, Jen. We’re not our parents.”
 
“You’re right. We’re not our parents. We’re not evil. Do you think we can do this? What if you ever get married? Or for that matter, if I ever find someone? That could cause problems.”
 
”No problems we can’t overcome. We’ve come through a lot, sis, we know we can solve any problem that comes along, and best of all, we can give these kids the love we never had.”
 
“Yes, yes. Let’s see what we can do.”

 
* * * * * *

 
“Jenny, quick, they’re here!” I yell at my sister.

I’ve just put the finishing touches to the big sign in the hallway. It reads, ‘Welcome to your home, Brody and Ami.’ Balloons hang from the ceilings, and their bedrooms are ready, filled with toys, but more importantly, filled with love.
 
Thank you, God, for bringing these children into our lives. They have healed our pain and given us a reason to live and love again.
 


Writing Prompt
Write a short story about a man who doesn't like children.

Grr...That Little Brat....
Contest Winner

Recognized


Contest Entry:
Write a short story about a man who doesn't like babies and children. Can be humorous or heartwarming. I don't have to remind you to be creative! =D (Only keep in mind that when I vote, I'll probably prefer a humorous story, heehee!)

Please, please keep the content readable for children and young 'uns! Entries with any amount of mature content will immediately be disqualified. If you have questions, just ask! =)

Entries can be anywhere between 200 and 4000 words.

Just over 3000 words
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. fionageorge All rights reserved.
fionageorge has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.