Romance Fiction posted August 29, 2010 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 14... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Joe and Cassie come to an understanding.

A chapter in the book Another Pretty Face

Chapter 5; part two

by barbara.wilkey



Background
While Col. Joe Barnes visited his parents, he was reacquainted with his best friend's baby sister, Sara. Sara became pregnant during her senior year and raised her daughter, Cassie by herself. His best friend, Josh, was killed during Desert Storm.
At the beginning of the fifth inning, Joe watched Sara walk over to work the bake sale, and then returned his attention to the softball game. Cassie's a good little pitcher. I can't believe this late in the game she's still striking them out. When the game ended, Joe stared at the scoreboard. We won 3 to 1. He glanced toward the bake sale. I guess Sara will help clean up. I'll wait for Cassie.

He stood beside the stands and listened to the coach talk with the girls. Joe watched the girls pick up the bats, balls and trash around the dugout. Joe smiled while Cassie and Angela visited. Finally, Angela's mom told her it was time to leave. As Cassie walked toward Joe, a tall slender teenage boy walked up to her. Unable to hear what he said, Joe knew by the frown on Cassie's face she felt uncomfortable. Joe remembered seeing that teenage male hanging around the dugout during the game.

The boy tried putting his arm around Cassie. "Come on baby, it wouldn't hurt to be nice to me. You'll like it, I promise benefits."

Cassie removed his arm and backed away. "Mr. Joe!" Joe jogged toward her. She took his hand in hers and released a deep breath.

Joe led her toward the bake sale, then stopped. "Wait here. I'll be right back." He walked to the teenage male. "I'm sure this was a misunderstanding, but in case it wasn't, I'm informing you that your treatment of Miss Riley was sexual harassment. If I ever hear about you bothering her again, I promise you'll be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Do I make myself clear, or do I need to go into details?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." He rolled his eyes.

A friend grabbed his arm. "Marc, this guy's Joe Barnes. You know; the secret agent the whole town's talking about. I don't think you better antagonize him."

Marc glanced at Joe. "I understand. Cassie's off limits."

"I thought we'd come to an understanding we could both agree with." Joe turned and left.

Joe caught up with Cassie and she said, "Thank you. He's been bothering me for a few weeks. Think he'll stop?"

"I'm sure he will." He stopped and removed his business card. Again, I'm coming to the aid of another pretty female. He stared at his right hand and wiggled his little finger. How do they do it?

After writing some additional numbers on the card, he handed it to her. "Keep this with you. Here's my home phone." He pointed to the top number, "my cell," he pointed to the second number, "and work number. If I don't answer the home or my cell, call my work number. Tell the person who answers your name and that you need me. They'll patch you through."

He took his cell from his pocket and dialed. "Hey, Nick, if Cassie Riley calls for me, immediately patch her through."

Cassie's eyes widened. "You just made me an important person; a VIP."

"Why wouldn't I?" He squeezed her shoulders.

"Mom said you live over five hundred miles away and you're leaving tomorrow. How will you help if Marc or one of his buddies bothers me?"

"Your mom's right, but I plan on regularly visiting you and your mom." He put his phone away. "If you need me, I'll drop whatever I'm doing and be here for you. I have access to eight helicopters and a private jet."

"I know Mom's important to you, but me? What happens if you and Mom break up?"

He stopped and stared into Cassie's eyes. "I doubt your mom and I will break up. I'm planning on becoming a permanent fixture in your life," he teased. "If for some reason we do, I promise I'll always care about your well being. Understand?" He used his finger to brush the top of her nose. "You're important to me, too."

She hugged his arm. "Thank you."

Tears entered her eyes and Joe dried them. "No, not tears. Not you too. I'm sunk."

Sara walked over and stood beside them. "What's going on? Why are you sunk?"

"Never mind. I don't have a chance around you two."

Cassie took her mom's hand. "Did you know I'm important to Mr. Joe, too?"

She kissed the side of her daughter's forehead. "I had a feeling you were." Glancing at Joe, she smiled. "I have a few chocolate chip cookies left. As soon as I get them, I'm ready to leave."

"How many? Maybe I'll eat them, so we won't have to transport them anywhere." He winked at her.

One the drive home, Joe ate the cookies.

*****
Joe walked up behind Sara, as she bent over and searched inside the refrigerator. "Why don't I run to the store and get something for lunch?"

She stood and turned toward him. "You don't need to do that. I can throw something together."

Smiling, he put his arms around her and drew her closer, preparing to kiss her.

"I knew you kissed Mom goodnight after the dance." Cassie stood in the doorway and smiled.

Joe jerked around, as Sara said, "I thought you were showering."

"I was, but I'm wondering what's for lunch and how long Mr. Joe's staying." She smiled at Joe. "Did you really kiss my mom goodnight?"

"I'm going to the store to get something for lunch." As he opened the front door, he glanced at Cassie. "When you asked your mom, what did she say?"

"She told me it was none of my business."

Joe smiled. "I agree with your mom, it's none of your business." He opened the front door.

Cassie called after him, "Can you at least tell me how long you're staying?"

He stood on the porch and answered through the door, "That I'll answer. I'll say goodbye to you and your mom tonight. I'm spending tomorrow morning and early afternoon with my parents, then late afternoon I'll drive home. Is that okay?"

"I guess. I don't want you to leave, but I don't have a choice." She turned toward the bathroom and walked down the hall. "I'm old enough to be kissed, so I don't understand all the secrecy about kissing Mom goodnight." She slammed the bathroom door.

Joe noticed Sara standing by the front door, he opened it, and kissed her. "Your daughter has a point."

"I know, but somehow it doesn't seem right discussing me being kissed with my teenage daughter."

"You're right about that." He walked toward the car. "I'll be back with lunch."

*****
During lunch, Cassie received a telephone call from Angela. "Mom, can I be excused from the table? I need to check something on the computer." Cassie eyed the computer.

"Sure, I need to wash dishes anyway." She started clearing the plates and silverware.

Joe grabbed the leftovers. "I'll help."

As Sara turned on the water, Cassie stood beside her. "Angela wants to know if I can come to her house around four, then meet some kids at The Burger Palace around four-thirty."

"I guess, but I want you home in time for dinner at six." She turned off the water. "Are you meeting with the ball team to discuss today's victory?"

Nodding, Cassie went back to the computer.

Just before four o'clock, Cassie kissed her mom's cheek. "I'll be home around six."

"Have fun. Tell Angela I said she caught a good game."

"Bye Mr. Joe. See you later." She shut the front door.

"Have fun." Joe turned toward Sara, put his arms around her, and pulled her closer. "It's just us old people, now."

"You're right. I'm used to having Cassie around. Think we can come up with something to do until she returns in two hours?"



Recognized


The artwork made me think of Cassie on the computer.
I want to thank again all my fans who support me. I appreciate all of you. I am still awaiting my next surgery.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.